What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

A favourite question I have personally is what do you think are the best headphones for each genre of music

Like I hear a lot grado is great for rock, the highest quality sennheisers are perfect for classical, but in wondered what you all thought

A favourite question I have personally is what do you think are the best headphones for each genre of music

Like I hear a lot grado is great for rock, the highest quality sennheisers are perfect for classical, but in wondered what you all thought

You are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. Headphones will either sound good or not. Ask 100 people the same question and you’ll get multiple answers.

The idea of different headphones for different genres is like having different televisions for movies or sports or sitcoms. It makes no sense.

You are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. Headphones will either sound good or not. Ask 100 people the same question and you’ll get multiple answers.

The idea of different headphones for different genres is like having different televisions for movies or sports or sitcoms. It makes no sense.
eh i just thought it would be a cool thing to think about.... its not like im advocating it i just remember that idea and i thought "hey this is kinda fun to see other peoples opinion"

I have a pair of MrSpeakers (before he changed the name) Ether Flow closed. I had a pair of Ether open that I sent back for the upgrade. I went with the closed due to wifey. I liked the open backed better but the noise leakage is pretty serious with open backs. I run them with an Oppo HA-1. I'm very happy with the setup outside of wishing for that extra "space" that comes with open backs.

So I just got a rather nasty noise complaint at my new place (I honestly don't even crank things up terribly loud! :mad::LOL:), and while my Massdrop/Sennheiser 6xx's are decent, they pale in comparison to my Zu Soul speakers. Seems like I'm going to have to use headphones much more often now due to cranky neighbors, especially in the evenings. So I guess I'm forced to be in the market for an upgrade. I'm thinking closed back, just in case, for travel, but not quite sold on that really being necessary - as in, would I really want to take a pair of expensive headphones with me while traveling? Probably not. Been looking into ZMF, Focal, Audeze so far, but probably going to need to listen to some and figure out what qualities I want as virtually all reviews of headphones at this level are fantastic and more about specific sound signature/tuning than great vs not-quite-as-great. If anyone has tips for how to navigate the dearth of high-end headphone options out there and make a selection, I'm all ears!

So I just got a rather nasty noise complaint at my new place (I honestly don't even crank things up terribly loud! :mad::LOL:), and while my Massdrop/Sennheiser 6xx's are decent, they pale in comparison to my Zu Soul speakers. Seems like I'm going to have to use headphones much more often now due to cranky neighbors, especially in the evenings. So I guess I'm forced to be in the market for an upgrade. I'm thinking closed back, just in case, for travel, but not quite sold on that really being necessary - as in, would I really want to take a pair of expensive headphones with me while traveling? Probably not. Been looking into ZMF, Focal, Audeze so far, but probably going to need to listen to some and figure out what qualities I want as virtually all reviews of headphones at this level are fantastic and more about specific sound signature/tuning than great vs not-quite-as-great. If anyone has tips for how to navigate the dearth of high-end headphone options out there and make a selection, I'm all ears!

I've heard the CanJam shows are a great place to go to really see what's out there. There's a SoCal one in June. May not be able to wait that long, but could still be fun.

You got a noise complaint with 2 watts per channel? :rolleyes:

Not really high end but I’ve been really pleased with my B&W P7s. They are comfortable and sound great. They don’t sound like Souls, but I’m not aware of anything that does.

Not really high end but I’ve been really pleased with my B&W P7s. They are comfortable and sound great. They don’t sound like Souls, but I’m not aware of anything that does.

Out of curiosity, do you have the wired or wireless pair?

How does massdrop make things like the 58X and 6XX so affordable when the originals cost almost double the cost

Do they use like lead paint or something

How does massdrop make things like the 58X and 6XX so affordable when the originals cost almost double the cost

Do they use like lead paint or something

I'm sure there's a little cost-cutting involved, but I believe part of it is that MassDrop guarantees them a number of sales, so it reduces the financial uncertainty involved in producing a batch.

I'm sure there's a little cost-cutting involved, but I believe part of it is that MassDrop guarantees them a number of sales, so it reduces the financial uncertainty involved in producing a batch.
From what I know that's the reason

I was just joking that maybe they painted the 58X with lead paint

I seem to dig iems a lot more

They are comfy, they sound louder and brighter than my m50s (which felt less clear and pretty compared to 20 dollar earbuds), and I can lay down on my bed with them more

Anyone have any opinions on the Bowers & Wilkins P9 signature headphones? I see them at a $450 price point some places which is like half what they go for on their website. Aesthetically, I think they are beautiful for my vintage taste.

Anyone have any opinions on the Bowers & Wilkins P9 signature headphones? I see them at a $450 price point some places which is like half what they go for on their website. Aesthetically, I think they are beautiful for my vintage taste.

I really like my P7s FWIW. Great price too. I think my P7s were $400 when I bought them a few years ago. I know the price has come down on P7s since the P9 came out.

Back