Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Give them a "jazz hands" and then rock out with your new speakers.
or could put some sunglasses and a fedora on while wearing the gloves and do the blues brothers dance

itysl-i-think-you-should-leave.gif

i almost put them on the bottom of my speaker before i smartly decided to ask here haha.

I think I was the first to buy them after the initial review so there wasn’t 40 odd pages of us being us between me and it 😂

Do you want booming bass? The bass on these is pretty fast, which I like. It definitely "booms" on the right pressing without being muddy. If you want more booming, move them closer to the wall. If you want less, move them out.
I don’t dislike the sound, but it feels like the highs are getting drowned out - feels like I don’t really hear high hats and cymbal crashes. This could be me hearing the flaws in pressings for the first time though…

And @JohnnyCashFan - totally forgot I had tone controls! I usually have loudness on as I’m listening at low volumes, but I may have to experiment.

I don’t dislike the sound, but it feels like the highs are getting drowned out - feels like I don’t really hear high hats and cymbal crashes. This could be me hearing the flaws in pressings for the first time though…

And @JohnnyCashFan - totally forgot I had tone controls! I usually have loudness on as I’m listening at low volumes, but I may have to experiment.
Also keep in mind the sound will change the more you play them since there’s some burn in time. I’ve probably had 40 hours on mine or maybe more and they are sounding even better than when I first got them. I turned off all tone controls on my amp.

Guys, talk to me about booming bass.

I don't know if I have this. My bass seems loud, but I think it's defined rather than being a mush. I do think I might try plugging a port to see the difference. I think I'm about as far out as I can get them from the wall, about 50cm from the front of the speaker. If I was to plug one of the rear ports is a sock the best option?

What should I be looking for in terms of booming bass?
The bass on mine was pretty overwhelming out of the box, I plugged ports with a sock for a bit but ended up removing them entirely at around 25hrs played, I found the bass broke in quite nicely, don’t really need to use tone controls at all anymore. Mine are about 2 and a half feet off the back wall

I also wasn’t HUGE on them out of the box, wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. Now, at probs 150-200hrs in they’re a completely different beast, totally enveloping and addictive to listen to!

How are they sounding with that lovely vintage marantz you had refurbished?

So far so great. They are not in an ideal location, but it was part of a compromise. They are closer to the wall than I would like and in a bedroom that my mother-in-law stays in so listening at night is impossible when she here (often). It was either this or they stay in storage until we move hopefully in the next 6 months. I still need to play around with the controls on the Marantz but this is exactly the kind of warm, vintage-sounding setup that I wanted. Still using the P1 and it is so much of an upgrade that it's hard to even compare. Hopefully get in lots of daytime hours over the next few weeks (the room is also my office).

The bass on mine was pretty overwhelming out of the box, I plugged ports with a sock for a bit but ended up removing them entirely at around 25hrs played, I found the bass broke in quite nicely, don’t really need to use tone controls at all anymore. Mine are about 2 and a half feet off the back wall

I also wasn’t HUGE on them out of the box, wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. Now, at probs 150-200hrs in they’re a completely different beast, totally enveloping and addictive to listen to!
Good to know. I’m dealing with a new stylus as well, and my listening position isn’t perfect (my seats are closer to the right speaker).

Think I might switch loudness off and see how I go. When it sings it really sings, so I think I probably do need to wait until everything has bedded in a bit.

Back