Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Debating pulling the trigger on these after seeing a local ad for a mint pair at $1700 CAD (currently retailing for $2500 here with the stands). Two questions: what's the warranty on these new (and how likely would one need it, anyway) and would my old Nikko STA-6060 be able to run these?

You should be ok.

A3C3984C-3CAB-4137-BF22-D7C38C9651FF.jpeg

Debating pulling the trigger on these after seeing a local ad for a mint pair at $1700 CAD (currently retailing for $2500 here with the stands). Two questions: what's the warranty on these new (and how likely would one need it, anyway) and would my old Nikko STA-6060 be able to run these?
32 wpc @8 "might" be a little light in the ass, you can always try it and use it to start and if it doesn't match well search down something else. When I demoed them my restored 50wpc vintage Mc receiver was fine most of the time but did struggle a few times at louder volume or certain material. One of the strength's of the Linton's is they do sound very good good at lower to moderate levels.

The Nikko is 32 watts per channel. It’ll work.

The warranty is 5 years here in the States. Usually speakers fail from abuse, in which case warranty wouldn’t apply anyway.

You should be ok.
32 wpc @8 "might" be a little light in the ass, you can always try it and use it to start and if it doesn't match well search down something else. When I demoed them my restored 50wpc vintage Mc receiver was fine most of the time but did struggle a few times at louder volume or certain material. One of the strength's of the Linton's is they do sound very good good at lower to moderate levels.
The Nikko is 32 watts per channel. It’ll work.

The warranty is 5 years here in the States. Usually speakers fail from abuse, in which case warranty wouldn’t apply anyway.
Thanks, fellas. For now I'd be running these in a medium-sized living room in an apartment anyway, so I wouldn't be cranking them very often anyways. Amp would be replaced soon enough, too, as I start on the rest of a longer-term set-up now that I've got a little extra money in my pocket.

Thanks, fellas. For now I'd be running these in a medium-sized living room in an apartment anyway, so I wouldn't be cranking them very often anyways. Amp would be replaced soon enough, too, as I start on the rest of a longer-term set-up now that I've got a little extra money in my pocket.
LET ME HELP YOU SPEND YOUR MONIEEEEEEES

Think I'm going to go see these in a couple days. Seller says he's had them for about two years, likely no warranty left. Anything I need to look out for, including how a speaker may age (not sure of the expected lifespan of nice speakers)? May not be able to do a proper audition but I think it'll be worth the risk to save so much dough on them over new.

Think I'm going to go see these in a couple days. Seller says he's had them for about two years, likely no warranty left. Anything I need to look out for, including how a speaker may age (not sure of the expected lifespan of nice speakers)? May not be able to do a proper audition but I think it'll be worth the risk to save so much dough on them over new.
In general, look for obvious damage to the bodies of the speakers and, especially, under the grills. Then I definitely would want to hear them, even if it's not a "proper audition." You have to be sure they are working as they should, meaning no weird sounds/noises/rattles, full range of sound, woofers and tweeters working, balanced, etc. If they've been treated well, they should be fine, and hopefully it would be obvious if they have not been treated well.

Also the woofers and midranges have rubber surrounds. They don’t deteriorate like foam does.

The grills are impossible to remove. If the cabinets look good and the speakers sound good, you are likely fine. Check the tweeters by putting your ear to the grill.

Silly question but I'm curious to know whether the grills come attached with the speakers 🔊 as they are apparently not intended to be removed🤔

What do you mean?

They’re really solidly in place so they need to be pried off. You really need something soft enough not to damage the veneer but rigid enough to be a lever. I wouldn’t use a metal knife for example. I only took mine off because I had a plastic pry tool for taking the screen off an iMac (I replaced a hard drive in one once).

As such and because they sound better with the grills in place, it’s just not worth the hassle of trying.

It didn’t seem to be much an answer to your question though lol.

They’re really solidly in place so they need to be pried off. You really need something soft enough not to damage the veneer but rigid enough to be a lever. I wouldn’t use a metal knife for example. I only took mine off because I had a plastic pry tool for taking the screen off an iMac (I replaced a hard drive in one once).

As such and because they sound better with the grills in place, it’s just not worth the hassle of trying.

It didn’t seem to be much an answer to your question though lol.
If that's what @marshall meant then yes that answers my question. 😉

Back