Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Front. Once you’re around there the bass is deep and defined but not boomy.
Fantastic, thats what I did so they should be positioned relatively well. I imagine i'll have to play with the toe in a bit once they're hooked up!
@HiFi Guy @Joe Mac and others are your best bet there, but I can add you may have to play around /tweak placement a little bit. Do you know how many hours they have on them btw ? They do need to break in.
They're fresh out the box, so zero hours at the moment!

Fantastic, thats what I did so they should be positioned relatively well. I imagine i'll have to play with the toe in a bit once they're hooked up!

They're fresh out the box, so zero hours at the moment!

Mine are a little further out just because I can’t get them any nearer to the wall on one side but others have them around where yours are and love them.

Yeah you will. Mine have about 2 inches of toe in which I like but a lot will depend on your space.

They still sound pretty good out of the box but I found a little mannered. They begin to cut lose 20-50 hours and sound great from about 100 hours onward.

Uh oh. So should the speakers be 24 inches out from the back wall measured from the front of speakers or the back?
I edited my post with the word "quality" bass ;) I think your gonna love them.

Last edited:
@Joe Mac think you mentioned but where do I plug my headphone amp in if the NAD has a CD, VIDEO, AUX, and TUNER input? Will be using the AUX to connect my projectors sound with the amp. Does it matter?

@Joe Mac think you mentioned but where do I plug my headphone amp in if the NAD has a CD, VIDEO, AUX, and TUNER input? Will be using the AUX to connect my projectors sound with the amp. Does it matter?

I think @HiFi Guy actually told you the right place to put it. I can’t remember where he said though sorry! The NAD doesn’t have a tape out so you can’t connect the headphone amp after it, it will have to go in before it somewhere.

Output of your phono stage to the input of your headphone amp. Output of the headphone amp to any non phono input on the NAD.

Or leave the headphone amp out of the picture and use the NAD to drive your headphones.

Output of your phono stage to the input of your headphone amp. Output of the headphone amp to any non phono input on the NAD.

Or leave the headphone amp out of the picture and use the NAD to drive your headphones.
Brilliant, thank you again! You’re the best. Would the difference between a Schitt Magni and the NADs headphone jack be negligible?

Brilliant, thank you again! You’re the best. Would the difference between a Schitt Magni and the NADs headphone jack be negligible?

I think it’s the comprimise between it as a headphone amp or it and two volume pots being in the chain for your lovely new speakers. Personally I’d leave it out. If the amp had a tape out you’d be laughing because you could do both.

I think the better question is whether going through your headphone amp to the NAD will sound as good through your Lintons as just going straight to the NAD from your phono stage.

I think the better question is whether going through your headphone amp to the NAD will sound as good through your Lintons as just going straight to the NAD from your phono stage.
For now I’m leaving the Magni out. Another question though, did I get the wrong type of banana plug, with that weird shoot out the banana plug doesn’t fit into the port :/image.jpg

Edit: never mind, just had to really push it in

For now I’m leaving the Magni out. Another question though, did I get the wrong type of banana plug, with that weird shoot out the banana plug doesn’t fit into the port :/View attachment 103481

Edit: never mind, just had to really push it in
In some cases the level of resistance of that outcropping can be controlled by tightening/loosening the sleeves below it, so you get resistance low to insert, then "tighten" the sleeve to increase resistance and prevent it from popping out of its own accord. Not sure that's what you've got, but you can play with it and see.

Okay, they’re plugged in, there’s some loud buzzing coming through the speakers right now. Any ideas on how to eliminate it? I’ve got the ground wire from my turntable going into the preamp, and no ground cable connected to the amp cause I have no idea what to attach it to?

Okay, they’re plugged in, there’s some loud buzzing coming through the speakers right now. Any ideas on how to eliminate it? I’ve got the ground wire from my turntable going into the preamp, and no ground cable connected to the amp cause I have no idea what to attach it to?
Try moving the ground wire from the phono stage to the ground connection on the NAD.

Okay lmao. I did something wrong, put on a record at the lowest possible volume (Art Blakey) and it sounded like an electric guitar.

Okay lmao. I did something wrong, put on a record at the lowest possible volume (Art Blakey) and it sounded like an electric guitar.
I've had instances where disconnecting the ground wire from the amp eliminated the hum. Worth a try (at low volume!) You might also check to be sure the cartridge/stylus is securely mounted.

Back