Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

I’m smack dab :|

Have you tried playing with the L&R a balance knob on the amplifier.

I have heard a theory that for whatever reason engineers favour the left channel and it ends up mixed higher than the right. I’m not sure quite how fully I believe that though 😂

Anyone using a cart in the price range of the Ortofon Blue that they’d recommend to pair with the Lintons?

I like them paired with the blue, so I am sticking with that until the stylus is worn out. I would recommend letting the speakers fully break in before you do anything because they'll get warmer sounding.
Fair enough, yeah I think thats my issue is I'm trying to differentiate between stiff speakers/worn stylus. Feel like theres a bit more sibilance coming through than I experienced with the Klipsch and I'm trying to understand if thats cause the speakers are breaking in or if my Blue needs a VTA adjustment which the Fluance headshell does not support.

Fair enough, yeah I think thats my issue is I'm trying to differentiate between stiff speakers/worn stylus. Feel like theres a bit more sibilance coming through than I experienced with the Klipsch and I'm trying to understand if thats cause the speakers are breaking in or if my Blue needs a VTA adjustment which the Fluance headshell does not support.

How long have you had the blue on? It should last a little beyond a 1000 hours but I definitely found that whilst I really liked it sibilance was a characteristic it picked up as it was getting ready for a change.

If it’s significantly less than that you can always check the full turntable set up to make sure you’ve not knocked anything out. Picking up a nice headshell that allows for azimuth adjustment wouldn’t be a bad long term investment either.

Anyone using a cart in the price range of the Ortofon Blue that they’d recommend to pair with the Lintons?

You listen to good amount of jazz, I think a Grado would be right up your alley if it comes to that for you. I'm not sure how well they perform on the Fluance though.

I believe @brownsugah put a Grado on her Fluance and it required spacers on the headshell.

Could be with @Ghost other setup issues he is having that his new system is bringing out some flaws in the table/setup? This can happen and is probably something all of us come to at some point when upgrading our systems as it will emphasize the weaker links. Perhaps a table upgrade might be in order for him ?

Last edited:
Could be with @Ghost other setup issues he is having that his new system is bringing out some flaws in the table/setup? This can happen and is probably something all of us come to at some point when upgrading our systems as it will emphasize the weaker links. Perhaps a table upgrade might be in order for him ?
The Wharfedales don’t have an exaggerated top end. I’m thinking @Ghost has a worn stylus.

Back