Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

I've had instances where disconnecting the ground wire from the amp eliminated the hum. Worth a try (at low volume!) You might also check to be sure the cartridge/stylus is securely mounted.
Will give that a go! The hum seems to be secondary right now to the sound I heard when I played a record, intense distortion that I’ve only had the pleasure of encountering once before when I had two phono stages active at once. Like blow your speakers distortion if it was louder

You’ve plugged the output of the phono stage into the phono input. This is a no no.

Pick another input, then select the quieter place to put the ground wire.
Ahh, so was wondering if that’s what’s going on. Let me give that a whirl

Okay we're off and spinning! That was totally the issue, still a noob it would appear lol. Thanks again everybody. Listening to Art Blakey's Just Coolin - VMP press to inaugurate them, so far so great. So interesting how speakers break in, feel like they're sounding better by the minute. First 1 minute of them spinning a record felt a bit boring and lifeless but 3 mins later and they're already sounding different. Can't wait to hit the 200 hour mark!

What should I be looking for that would suggest I need a better toe in?

What should I be looking for that would suggest I need a better toe in?
Everything? Basically, you're trying to find the arrangement that sounds best. Sound stage, depth, placement of various elements of the music--all of that can be affected by placement, toe-in, distance between the speakers, and also your distance from the speakers. Depending on which of those you have any control over, you'll just have to play around with it to zero it in. If placement, distance between the speakers, and your distance from the speakers are set, then toe-in is all you'll have to work with.

Their pressings really are muck! The Lintons handle sub par pressings really well! Congratulations on the set up, looks great!
Yeah only have the one (Indigo Sparke) and it was a really frustrating first listen, this is definitely making it a bit more enjoyable. But no more Sacred Bones pressings going forward!

Yeah only have the one (Indigo Sparke) and it was a really frustrating first listen, this is definitely making it a bit more enjoyable. But no more Sacred Bones pressings going forward!

Yeah I have the two Hilary Woods albums and they’re really crackly pressings but I do like the music that’s on them! Definitely a label to avoid wherever possible!

Dammit… @Ghost has me all FOMOing over here wanting to buy a pair now 😂
Heheheh, shiiittt if you’re in the market! Had a lot of fun last night, I can definitely feel how stiff they are right out of the box but they continue to open up with each LP. Lots of fun moments last night where I heard things in the mix I never heard before that made me sit right up and go “what the heck was that”?.

Biggest takeaway from an evening with them was just how fun and pleasant they are. Albums I was terrified to play on my Klipsch because of how dodgy the pressing was were all of a sudden great fun to run through with snap, crackles, and all. Anytime I started worrying about the pressing my brain was whisked away by just how fun they made the music sound. I could never fixate on a particular defect for long! It was honestly just the reprieve I was looking for, felt like the past couple months have been defined by listening neurosis that was closing to forcing me out of the hobby altogether.

I’ve had to pull them out further cause that bass really took me by surprise! Just waking up, going to make some coffee and spin some Yo-Yo Ma before work 😈

Last edited:
Heheheh, shiiittt if you’re in the market! Had a lot of fun last night, I can definitely feel how stiff they are right out of the box but they continue to open up with each LP. Lots of fun moments last night where I heard things in the mix I never heard before that made me sit right up and go “what the heck was that”?.

Biggest takeaway from an evening with them was just how fun and pleasant they are. Albums I was terrified to play on my Klipsch because of how dodgy the pressing was were all of a sudden great fun to run through with snap, crackles, and all. Anytime I started worrying about the pressing my brain was whisked away by just how fun they made the music sound. I could never fixate on a particular defect for long! It was honestly just the reprieve I was looking for, felt like the past couple months have been defined by listening neurosis that was closing to forcing me out of the hobby altogether.

I’ve had to pull them out further cause that bass really took me by surprise! Just waking up, going to make some coffee and spin some Yo-Yo Ma before work 😈
You’ll love classical on the Lintons! ☺️

When I home demoed them I ran some pretty dynamic electronic music from my server to help my breakin period, Trentemoller Last Resort was one I remember . Tracy Chapman Lp was another.

You’ll love classical on the Lintons! ☺️

The Starker Cello Suites are great as well!

When I home demoed them I ran some pretty dynamic electronic music from my server to help my breakin period, Trentemoller Last Resort was one I remember . Tracy Chapman Lp was another.

The Starker Cello Suites are great as well!
I didn’t spring for the Starker box because I already had Yo Yo Ma’s version. Good stuff though!

If it feels like I’m hearing the left channel more dominantly is this a signifier that I should toe in the right channel further?

Back