Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

I've watched his channel on and off, he tends to deal more with the truly high-end. My biggest problem with a lot of the channels like this, is that they sometimes just can't bring themselves to just acknowledge something is good since it's not in the "lofty" categories they usually tread in. The truth, in my opinion, is that the Linton's have caused a buzz and he felt the needed to do something, again, in some of his comments he's not wrong, but he's also not really endorsing the Linton's completely. He seemed to have them inter-twined with mini reviews of what's feeding the Linton's than the speakers themselves.

I still contend that you need to take everything with a grain of salt, the more opinions you get from "Like minded" people the better, but like minded doesn't only fall into personal sound preferences, it also falls into "gear pools". Someone with an Orbit running the on board amp isn't going to hear the same thing I am, not that what they hear is going to be bad, it's just not going to be the same.

Oh it’s absolutely nothing to do with the review substance. I happen to agree with most of his conclusions.

It’s more the soft lighting. The story about the old record. The Orange oil polishing. The fact that when he moves from amp to amp there’s a sweep in shot with him with his hand on it. We’re just a shot of him sipping whiskey sat on a Chesterfield in a tweed suit away from full on comedy.

Oh it’s absolutely nothing to do with the review substance. I happen to agree with most of his conclusions.

It’s more the soft lighting. The story about the old record. The Orange oil polishing. The fact that when he moves from amp to amp there’s a sweep in shot with him with his hand on it. We’re just a shot of him sipping whiskey sat on a Chesterfield in a tweed suit away from full on comedy.
He will end up a viral internet sensation and laugh at all of us working stiffs some day!

On a side note, the Linton's did benefit from a few more inches into the room and a little more toe in ;)

Sitting at a 2" toe in (14.25 / 16.25 from the wall)

Oh no doubt but to be fair all these reviewers strike me as faintly ridiculous characters lol.

Maybe I should launch a channel. No bullshit reviews from Joe...

🤔🤔🤔
"Hey... I'm the Irishman, welcome to my new show "What's This Shite?". Where I give in depth looks at various new products and whether they're worth owning, or are shite... Here's a sneak peak of this season..."

"Pish."
"Shite."
"Bollocks"
"Wanker"
"Total shite."
"Eejit."
"Stale pish"
"As thick as pig shite but only half as useful."
"Fecker."
"Time for a whiskey."

Last edited:
"Hey... I'm the Irishman, welcome to my new show "What's This Shite?". Where I give in depth looks at various new products and whether they're worth owning... Here's a sneak peak of this season..."

"Pish."
"Shite."
"Bollocks"
"Wanker"
"Total shite."
"Eejit."
"Stale pish"
"As thick as pig shite but only half as useful."
"Fecker."
"Time for a whiskey."

I do like some things...

...but...

Gobshite is another favourite term of abuse of mine.

“What were those gobshites thinking”

I think he’s just got a mini pony tail. Because it’s in the back I don’t think it can be classified as a top knot. Definitely not enough hair for a manbun.

I just caught Stereophile’s Recomended Component list. The Linton was rated Class B (restricted low frequency). That’s a good and fair placement. What caught my attention was that the Klipsch Forte III ($3999/pr) was rated Class C (full range).

The restricted low frequency class might throw some people. Bass is plenty good, and depending on source material and associated equipment the Lintons can be punchy. They won’t play much below 40 Hz. But there’s not a lot of information that low. And to get, say, 20hz in room, you have to have a large room. Long wavelengths (super deep bass) cannot fully develop in small rooms.

I just caught Stereophile’s Recomended Component list. The Linton was rated Class B (restricted low frequency). That’s a good and fair placement. What caught my attention was that the Klipsch Forte III ($3999/pr) was rated Class C (full range).

The restricted low frequency class might throw some people. Bass is plenty good, and depending on source material and associated equipment the Lintons can be punchy. They won’t play much below 40 Hz. But there’s not a lot of information that low. And to get, say, 20hz in room, you have to have a large room. Long wavelengths (super deep bass) cannot fully develop in small rooms.
I continue to enjoy mine. They always “grab” my attention to things I haven’t heard before. Can’t imagine much better at the price point.

Back