Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

Hey everyone! I’m coming over from the VMP forums. Due to some life circumstances I had to press the pause button on everything and am just now migrating over. I was actually mid build in my starter set up which I will be looking to finish sometime. So, what did I miss in my time away ;)
Welcome back :)

You've missed nothing........we just picked up where we left off ;)

Hello everyone!

Been lurking on this page for a long while, and with a final hard nudge from the rona isolation I’ve pushed through my shyness to join all the reindeer games, and enjoy some much missed socialization.

I live in Las Vegas, but originally from New York and raised in Florida. I have a degree in Psychology. I have some vinyl records that used to belong to my dad (technically step-dad). Growing up we didn’t really have a record player for long, but I always enjoyed music. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve music. I was either listening to some oldies while riding along with my dad, or dancing with my family to Spanish music (we’re Dominican and he was Italian). I used to play the keyboard really well when I was younger, but haven’t played in ages. I’m toying with the idea of getting a new keyboard and relearning to play again. I really enjoyed it. I’ve started teaching myself how to play the guitar since I already own one, and I have some time on my hands (thanks, rona). I’ve been working with the Air Force for 7+ years now. I have 2 cats, a bunch of fish, 3 dogs….and a husband. They’re all rescues. 😉 I’m interested in upgrading my stereo equipment to accommodate my humble vinyl collection and massive digital music collection. My music preference is very broad and my favorites are often based on my mood, and what I want to listen to while doing something else.

Random fact: The Binturong (aka Bearcat) is a mammal that is native to SE Asia and they emit an odor that smells like popcorn!

Hi there! That’s an interesting handle! Welcome to the forum.

Edit: I'd also like to acknowledge that Stephen Crane quotation is great (wonder where you got it from). Why you sniffing a bearcat like that, nasty?! Finally, to the mods: this new member is my wife. I'd like blanket immunity against the ban on personal attacks (I believe I am afforded that right - it was somewhere in our wedding vows) ;)
Mods, I have no idea who this strange, unusual person is. Feel free to punish him. I'm sure he's earned it!

But seriously, just kidding! We are indeed wed to each other. He is the Branch to my Poppy. The Cosmo to my Wanda. The ... well you get the gist. Please don't mind him as he playfully trolls me from time to time.

As for sniffing a bearcat. I petted one once and sniffed my hand (pre-rona era). It really did smell like popcorn, minus the butter!

Hello! I'm Russ, in Salt Lake City. Been a fan of vinyl since I was a wee little tot watching a full soundtrack album of The Wizard of Oz spinning on my parents' turntable and wondering how they'd managed to squash the wicked witch (and her hat) into something so flat!? I've been lurking here for long enough to have increased my spending in the name of bargains too good to miss, and I've seen one too many 'conversations' I wanted to participate in to resist registering any longer. Musically, I like prog/psych rock, lots of indie stuff, jazz (if there's a sax, I'm in), and good ol' rock and roll. I'm a professor of human development and family studies, a professional photographer (mostly sports), and needlessly attracted to the idea of accumulating vinyl. Here are a few live performance pics:_5R_1095.JPG_DS_2550.jpg_MG_5284.JPG_5R_9172.jpg_5R_5382.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy kids, Dave here (or not).

I loved Tower Records in the 80's where I grew up in San Diego. All those LP's are gone after several moves and mistreatment of albums. I am reformed now and give them the love they deserve. Recently my parents gave me their collection, which isn't much, but I enjoy having some of the stuff I listened to as a kid (I added them to discogs).

Just ordered a U-turn Orbit, should arrive in about a month or so. Made in the USA.

I guess most of you had been on another or other forums and this one is fairly new. 2020 is my year of reintroducing myself to vinyl, have learned a lot reading forums recently. Keep it up.

Howdy kids, Dave here (or not).

I loved Tower Records in the 80's where I grew up in San Diego. All those LP's are gone after several moves and mistreatment of albums. I am reformed now and give them the love they deserve. Recently my parents gave me their collection, which isn't much, but I enjoy having some of the stuff I listened to as a kid (I added them to discogs).

Just ordered a U-turn Orbit, should arrive in about a month or so. Made in the USA.

I guess most of you had been on another or other forums and this one is fairly new. 2020 is my year of reintroducing myself to vinyl, have learned a lot reading forums recently. Keep it up.
Welcome Not Dave! I'm not Tyr, or am I??

Lovely to have you back in the fold, and good to hear some of your vinyl journey. You'll find this wonderful place full of like-minded and helpful individuals. What type of music do you enjoy?

Music? Just a little. Classic jazz and blues, country from the 20th century, classic rock/metal, punk, post punk/new wave, classical, bluegrass, Celtic (Scottish bagpipes), modern rock.

In the 90's I saw Dave Brubeck with his sons backed by the San Diego Symphony - best concert ever! I've seen Oingo Boingo twice, B-52's and Red Hot Chili Peppers (same concert) along with X-Fest that put on Ziggy Marley, the Cramps, They Might Be Giants and maybe some other bands but that's what I remember (91X radio station in San Diego put it on).

Love me some DLR era Van Halen, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and similar. Used to sing in a church choir so like Haydn, Beethoven, Bach, etc. Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Cult. Lighter stuff from the 70's when I had a transistor radio, pop hits. Getting to hear more of Thin Lizzy which I never had anything of and like it. Always liked Brubeck, like Stan Getz, Cal Tjader, Paul Desmond and the like. Going further back Tommy Dorsey and others. Megadeth, Prong, Static-X, Testament.

Yeah, I'm all over the place except very little hip/hop or rap, opera. I do own some Ice Cube CD's, that was a phase. West Coast! :ROFLMAO:

Hello there I'm MaruMaru irl Melvin, a music enthousiast since I've been introduced to Jazz, rock and metal. But over the years I've been listening more to alternative and indie music. Two years ago I stumbled upon Record Store Day which was in 2018 during my trip to the grocery store. I got interested to see what all the people where digging for in the large crates. I bought two Jazz records and my Turntable a month later. Since then I've been cought by the virus and my audio system got a huge upgrade as well.

From a simple Bose ( I know... ;)) All-in-one to a
Amplifier: Advanced Acoustic X-i105
Speakers: Tannoy Revolution XT8F
Cables: Ogata interconnects
Turntable: Pro-ject Essential 3 ( my Thorens TD 160 died... So soon a brand new one)
Cd player: Sony CDP 497 ( It gets the job done :) )

Now I collect and listen to mostly indie records, I still listen to metal(core) and offcourse Jazz. :D which sound tremendously good one this setup!

Last edited:
Hello, glad to have discovered this forum! I am a music enthusiast for 30+ years. I started collecting vinyl as a kid, but CDs came out and I got away from it. I recently rediscovered this addiction and so here I am. Musical tastes are a little bit of everything from classical to classic, broadway to bluegrass, alt country to alternative, and much more.

Current setup - MoFi Studiodeck, Harman Kardon HK3490, Focal Chorus 706, and Hsu STF-2 sub.

I am thinking about going to Martin Logan - either 35XTi bookshelf or 40I towers (local vendor has a good deal). Thoughts?IMG_0436.jpeg

Hello, glad to have discovered this forum! I am a music enthusiast for 30+ years. I started collecting vinyl as a kid, but CDs came out and I got away from it. I recently rediscovered this addiction and so here I am. Musical tastes are a little bit of everything from classical to classic, broadway to bluegrass, alt country to alternative, and much more.

Current setup - MoFi Studiodeck, Harman Kardon HK3490, Focal Chorus 706, and Hsu STF-2 sub.

I am thinking about going to Martin Logan - either 35XTi bookshelf or 40I towers (local vendor has a good deal). Thoughts?View attachment 48171
Welcome , great choice of records and set up

I am thinking about going to Martin Logan - either 35XTi bookshelf or 40I towers (local vendor has a good deal). Thoughts?View attachment 48171

Always curious to know, how did you find us?

Back