Vinyl Storage Recommendation

As I've noted here before, my obsession with records extends to a concomitant obsession with all things made of wood that can possibly store records. So when I hit thrift stores, I'm always checking out the furniture, looking for that hidden gem that can help me clear the floor around my desk chair of records. Late last week I found what I thought was a cool shelf that seemed to be made with records in mind. Turned it into my weekend project, which is another way of saying that while I got the shelf for $15, there also were a couple of trips to Home Depot and a lot of hours involved. Fun stuff. Here's the history.

The unit was painted black, but seemed very solid and was in relatively good shape, so I was hopeful there'd be nice wood underneath.

View attachment 176891

After one treatment of finish remover.

View attachment 176888

After a second round of finish remover.

View attachment 176889

When I started sanding, the dust was red, which led me to believe it was mahogany. BUT, I also discovered that it was a veneer. Only had a couple of small divots.

View attachment 176890

Used Tung Oil for three coats, then a mixture of wax, linseed oil and mineral spirits for a couple more coats/buffing. Think I will give it another coat or two, but I'm pleased with the result. Didn't worry about the interior as much as the top and sides, since it won't be long before all of that is covered up with records. Now I just have to find a space for it in the house! I think I have a plan, but I'm not sure what my wife will think about it...

View attachment 176886
Looks great! I love rehabbing old furniture.

Nice work @Russ I looks like a nice piece you are adding.

I just ordered some red oak boards to build an 8' long cabinet to go under my windows.
Cabinet will have two 13" shelves and be around 30" in height total.

I hung some faux beams last year with the red oak so I decided to keep the same theme going.

20220403_135342.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work @Russ I looks like a nice piece you are adding.

I just ordered some red oak boards to build an 8' long cabinet to go under my windows.
Cabinet will have two 13" shelves and be around 30" in height total.

I hung some faux beams last year with the red oak so I decided to keep the same theme going.

View attachment 176945
Cool idea! Are you riffing off of @Yer Ol' Uncle D plan?

Yeah that post made too much sense to me. I didn't save any money and spent even more than a kallax. However, I already have the tools to build it and the quality will be significantly better wood so I'm all in now.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of it. I've been planning to build my next one too, but haven't had the time yet. Hopefully seeing yours will inspire me to actually do it.

Is there anything as common as the Kallax/ Expedit but for gear ?
I have my turntable and the rest of my system inside of a big cupboard / closet whatever its called. But its such a mess since its not really accessible from the back and the cables are a mess. Im looking for something thats not as huge and easy to access.

I have my turntable and the rest of my system inside of a big cupboard / closet whatever its called. But its such a mess since its not really accessible from the back and the cables are a mess. Im looking for something thats not as huge and easy to access.

what kind of space does it need to fit in? And how many shelves do you need?

System racks can get kinda expensive…

If by common you mean cheap, then not really sadly. IKEA did have a pretty nice looking combo turntable stand and record storage I got last year but looks to be discontinued.

Line phono also has a stand that fits some gear and records:

But it doesn’t work well if you have a lot of separates…would kinda help to know what exactly you’re looking for like @Joe Mac said. Size/what you need to fit in it

Turntable on top, cd player, amp, Dac and phone probably fit next to eachother. So thats three i guess.
Space is not really an issue , id rather have something thats not that wide. Bonus points if humans under 1,20m cant touch the platter.

Turntable on top, cd player, amp, Dac and phone probably fit next to eachother. So thats three i guess.
Space is not really an issue , id rather have something thats not that wide. Bonus points if humans under 1,20m cant touch the platter.

Those line phono are the cheapest you’ll get.

Is the DAC full size or half size like the phono?

If you get one it’ll probably fit the phono on the shelf under the tt. Maybe one other half sized component too. You could probably then have the amp on top of the cd player on the next shelf down.

I have these and really like them but that big more pricy

Forgive the mess, but this is what the line phono looks like in action. I got the normal height one since the larger height wasn’t an option when I bought it.

IMG_8473.jpeg
I like it but doesn’t quite fit as much gear as I’d ideally have on there. The larger one probably would have fit a CD player too since the NAD isn’t too tall. My DAC wouldn’t fit on it so that’s on my desk next to it. And I’ve had to stack my turntable on my phono stage. But it does have a little hook on the side for holding headphones which is useful. And it’s well made and has leveling feet on it.

Overall I’d say it’s good for a compact setup but maybe not ideal as something mostly for gear. Definitely fits the criteria of a kid not being able to touch the platter though!

Before we moved, i had my system on two Bestås.

I had this one stacked on top of...

...this one.

Then i didn't put the back panel on the top one so there was full access to the back. The Turntable was on top of the Bestå with the amp on one side and the CD player on the other with a shelf over it for the preamp, inside the Bestå of course. Then the bigger, bottom Bestå was used for box-sets and books.

high gloss white ikea kallax 4x2 on sale for $60 each today. limit 3 per customer. ONLY high gloss white is on sale. discount shown in cart.

Back