Vinyl Storage Recommendation

high gloss white ikea kallax 4x2 on sale for $60 each today. limit 3 per customer. ONLY high gloss white is on sale. discount shown in cart.

I am not seeing the sale?

I decided to pick up the pocket hole jig at Lowes. It's a brilliant tool for $20 and probably will be helpful on future projects.

Finished the build and really happy with the final.
Each shelf is about 45" long and the height of each space is a little over 14".

Now looking at a few stains.
American Walnut left and Golden Oak on the right.

20230812_163508.jpg
20230812_172723.jpg
20230812_172730.jpg

Attachments

• 20230812_170627.jpg
    20230812_170627.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 8
I decided to pick up the pocket hole jig at Lowes. It's a brilliant tool for $20 and probably will be helpful on future projects.

View attachment 179859
View attachment 179856
View attachment 179858
Looks great. Solid work!

An oddball thought, what about a natural/clear finish? Maybe just use a poly to seal and protect it, giving it a more industrial look?

View attachment 179859
View attachment 179856
View attachment 179858
It's going to look beautiful. But I'm curious about the physics of it. I'd be worried the central horizontal shelves don't have enough support to hold 45" of records. That's a long span, and it looks like they're secured to the unit on either end only with screws, right? No supports below either of the four ends? You have the tools to suggest you're a lot more experienced with this kind of thing than I am, so I could be way off here, but figured I'd throw my question out there.

I planned to use a wood filler to conceal the stainless screw heads.
Requires some more testing so it does not look awkward in the end.
You can use the sawdust from your sander (same wood) mix it with titebond glue or whatever you have and mix it into a paste, it works better then wood filler in my opinion. But do a test first.
Great work by the way.

It's going to look beautiful. But I'm curious about the physics of it. I'd be worried the central horizontal shelves don't have enough support to hold 45" of records. That's a long span, and it looks like they're secured to the unit on either end only with screws, right? No supports below either of the four ends? You have the tools to suggest you're a lot more experienced with this kind of thing than I am, so I could be way off here, but figured I'd throw my question out there.
I will probably pop in a small 1x2 support on the bottom shelves to be a little extra safe.
There are actual calculations for shelf deflection. The standard is 0.02 inch of sag per foot.
I am currently meeting it. He's the sagulator :geek: The Sagulator – WoodBin

I will probably pop in a small 1x2 support on the bottom shelves to be a little extra safe.
There are actual calculations for shelf deflection. The standard is 0.02 inch of sag per foot.
I am currently meeting it. He's the sagulator :geek: The Sagulator – WoodBin
If I remember, this is one inch oak. At 1”, I would be less concerned about the deflection of a 45” span.

Must be heavy, though!

If I remember, this is one inch oak. At 1”, I would be less concerned about the deflection of a 45” span.

Must be heavy, though!
Yes it is 1" nominal but 3/4" actual.
Typical for lumber industry.

It's getting pretty heavy but not terrible. I had very little wood remaining, just enough for some stain sample blocks, after going through the four 8' boards.

I weighed 5 Tone Poets including a two disc title. Shelf load is a little under 32lbs per foot with 27 albums.

All in should be able to hold 100 per quadrant or 400 total bifolds.

Back