Vinyl Storage Recommendation

I need to order a few of these.
Are there sales to watch or alternatives for better pricing?

Not sure about online deals but IKEA has a free membership program and I was able to purchase a 2X4 Kallax for around $50 a couple years ago using this.
IKEA Family – Join our club for free

I need to order a few of these.
Are there sales to watch or alternatives for better pricing?

I bought a few in the same sale as Mike I believe..

I got 3 different sizes (All Black) so I included the price I paid during the sale.. If you aren't in a huge hurry I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back on Sale again.. It was late September last year when I got them all. I went a little overboard and got pretty thick plywood for the backs and they became ROCK solid.

4 Cube (I don't have a record for this one but $25 sounds about right)

6 Cube ($37.50)

9 Cube ($50)

I got 3 different sizes (All Black) so I included the price I paid during the sale.. If you aren't in a huge hurry I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back on Sale again.. It was late September last year when I got them all. I went a little overboard and got pretty thick plywood for the backs and they became ROCK solid.

6 Cube ($37.50)

9 Cube ($50)
Found my receipt for the 2x2
1687998200426.png
I should have gotten more!!

@Jbraswell I think @hype is right that I wouldn’t be surprised if that 50% off sale came back for the Target ones. I wanna say it was a back to school sale or soon after that if you can wait. Otherwise you can get the Ikea family free card but that’s only 5% off unless they have a bigger sale. The price on the kallax went up pretty drastically from a few years ago though

6 Cube ($37.50)

9 Cube ($50)
Sheesh I think everything has doubled in price.
I'm not in a hurry. I'll see how sales shake out.

If you're a DIY person you can do this with two 3/4" 8' x 4' pieces of MDF and create room for roughly 1200 records for about $100. Nothing fancy, but holds a lotta vinyl and you can finish as you desire...

Sheet one - cut three 8' x 13" lengths.
Sheet two - cut one 8' x 13" length and cut 12 13' x 13' squares from the remainder.

Assembled, you'll get something like this...

MDF Storage.gif

If you'd like a solid back, a piece of luan is probably less than $20. Use the scraps left over as additional bracing if you'd like more stability.

If you're a DIY person you can do this with two 3/4" 8' x 4' pieces of MDF and create room for roughly 1200 records for about $100. Nothing fancy, but holds a lotta vinyl and you can finish as you desire...

Sheet two - cut one 8' x 13" length and cut 12 13' x 13' squares from the remainder.

View attachment 176580

If you'd like a solid back, a piece of luan is probably less than $20. Use the scraps left over as additional bracing if you'd like more stability.
Cool. Took me a while to envision this. Doh! Would it mess up the math if each side was a single piece rather than three 13" x 13" squares? They'd probably have to be 13" x 40.5" but then I guess they wouldn't be providing much support at the undersides of the ends of the cross pieces. Just seems like it would be weird not to have solid sides to the unit.... Yeah, it's time for bed.

View attachment 176580

You tha man! I'm going to do it, the more I think about it. I might just skip the MDF and use something nicer. More to come. I'm on vacation for 10 days😊

Cool. Took me a while to envision this. Doh! Would it mess up the math if each side was a single piece rather than three 13" x 13" squares? They'd probably have to be 13" x 40.5" but then I guess they wouldn't be providing much support at the undersides of the ends of the cross pieces. Just seems like it would be weird not to have solid sides to the unit.... Yeah, it's time for bed.
Yes - you could definitely do solid sides. Totally a preference thing.

As I've noted here before, my obsession with records extends to a concomitant obsession with all things made of wood that can possibly store records. So when I hit thrift stores, I'm always checking out the furniture, looking for that hidden gem that can help me clear the floor of the records around my desk chair. Late last week I found what I thought was a cool shelf that seemed to be made with records in mind. Turned it into my weekend project, which is another way of saying that while I got the shelf for $15, there also were a couple of trips to Home Depot and a lot of hours involved. Fun stuff. Here's the history.

The unit was painted black, but seemed very solid and was in relatively good shape, so I was hopeful there'd be nice wood underneath.

RShelf1.jpg

After one treatment of finish remover.

RShelf2.jpg

After a second round of finish remover.

RShelf3.jpg

When I started sanding, the dust was red, which led me to believe it was mahogany. BUT, I also discovered that it was a veneer. Only had a couple of small divots.

RShelf4.jpg

Used Tung Oil for three coats, then a mixture of wax, linseed oil and mineral spirits for a couple more coats/buffing. Think I will give it another coat or two, but I'm pleased with the result. Didn't worry about the interior as much as the top and sides, since it won't be long before all of that is covered up with records. Now I just have to find a space for it in the house! I think I have a plan, but I'm not sure what my wife will think about it...

EDIT: We have an agreement on location! It'll be nestled between the two massive, vintage Wharfdales in our dining room. I'll post a pic when it's in place.

RShelf5.jpg

Last edited:
Back