Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Sanding is such a pain in the ass that this is a game changer imo.
Yeah, when we bought our house one of the best investments was buying a decent electric sander. It allowed be to buy some cheap furniture secondhand and rehab it. I refinished my kitchen table, a 5 drawer dresser, and my favorite piece, a Lane cedar chest that I bought off of a family that was using it as a toy chest and as would be expected was scratched and stickered and drawn on. In really rough shape. But a little sanding, staining, and sealing and it looked good as new. I think I paid $30 for it.

Before:
IMG_3461_Original.jpeg

After:
IMG_3458_Original.jpeg
we eventually ran out of space so I haven’t been looking for any new pieces to work on but I really enjoy doing it so maybe need to donate some furniture to goodwill or something.

Decided to go with Tung Oil in the end.
First coat is on.
Ready to wrap this up but it takes a day between coats. It's upside down right now but the new bottom supports are in.
View attachment 180188
Looks great. I think the supports are a good idea, and helpful for keeping your records upright when you don't have the shelf fully loaded.

Decided to go with Tung Oil in the end.
First coat is on.
Ready to wrap this up but it takes a day between coats. It's upside down right now but the new bottom supports are in.
View attachment 180188
She's a beaut. I've always been paranoid about making my dividers/supports thinner than the depth of the shelf worrying about a possible edge warp since the support is concentrated in the middle 2/3 of the record.

She's a beaut. I've always been paranoid about making my dividers/supports thinner than the depth of the shelf worrying about a possible edge warp since the support is concentrated in the middle 2/3 of the record.
If it was MDF or another softwood material, I might be concerned also.The 32lb load per foot sag without support across 45" was only 0.05" before adding supports. 12" solid oak shelving is not very forgiving. Good news is I can always adjust on the fly. Nothing is permanent here.

If it was MDF or another softwood material, I might be concerned also.The 32lb load per foot sag without support across 45" was only 0.05" before adding supports. 12" solid oak shelving is not very forgiving. Good news is I can always adjust on the fly. Nothing is permanent here.
Yeah, you're definitely not gonna have any horizontal sag issues with those fine materials across that span. I was thinking more about the vertical pressure against something that's thinner than a record. Also, that pocket hole jig tool is sweet.

Yeah, you're definitely not gonna have any horizontal sag issues with those fine materials across that span. I was thinking more about the vertical pressure against something that's thinner than a record. Also, that pocket hole jig tool is sweet.
I see. I will have to find out. I don't plan to pack it too tight and can put the jacket up against it to prevent any vinyl warps. Planning to put mainly bifolds (i.e. Tone Poets) in it so I can read the spines easier with my aging eyes.

Last edited:
Looks lovely! Not unlike the custom cabinet I paid [quite a bit] for, and I'm sure this was much, much cheaper. Bravo.
Thanks. I am not good enough to charge anyone money but I can over look my woodworking flaws enough to be a decent hack.
I looked back at your piece. Looks nice!
I think I will do something similar when I am ready to change out my main console piece. It's a Sam's Club special.
Will also give me some more space for more vinyl in the future. :cool:

FYI- I stumbled across the KAB Technics 1200 plinth drawing in case anyone is interested in this project.
I would love to make one in a curly maple.

Attachments

• SL1200BASE plinth.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 16
Slow day...The coating process is painfully slow in between coats, but patience is key with coatings.
2nd coat of Minwax Tung Oil. Light sand between coats.
I do see the grain is popping a bit more.

Up-side-down view with the pocket holes for @Yer Ol' Uncle D

Tomorrow, I plan to mix a blend of tung oil and poly to start sealing this up.

I need six cabinet legs and everyone sells a pack of four.
So back to Lowe's to buy materials to make some legs.

20230817_182844.jpg

For those of you using the 4x4 Kallax do you reinforce them at all? Curious what your experience of their stability "as is" is. Just want to know if I need to make a Home Depot run before I upgrade.
I don't think they need any upgrades. Just make sure you have the right side down. The problems I've seen are people who use the long shelves vertically instead of horizontal with the one square panels to brace. If you do that it's incredibly solid.

Edit: I think if you have kids/dogs and want added security that some have added a thin sheet of wood paneling to the back.
IMG20230818114021.jpg

Test fitting some feet from Lowe's. The hardware doesn't match the length of the mounting bolt even though they are a kit....

I'll have to carefully drill the cabinet to make them more flush. But finally done with coatings and on 6 feet finally. Final coat is 1 cup minwax tung oil with 15ml minwax helmsman urethane in clear satin.

20230818_195819.jpg

Test fitting some feet from Lowe's. The hardware doesn't match the length of the mounting bolt even though they are a kit....

I'll have to carefully drill the cabinet to make them more flush. But finally done with coatings and on 6 feet finally. Final coat is 1 cup minwax tung oil with 15ml minwax helmsman urethane in clear satin.

View attachment 180342
I may not have followed this all the way from the beginning, but how wide were the boards?

Back