Vinyl Storage Recommendation

It's interesting to me that they used full pieces for the larger boards and glued up for the smaller boards. Also, I like that they dadoed in the vertical shelves but I am assuming the doweled the the main corners? It's hard to tell, there's clear patches, covers, on the sides so maybe it is is screwed together. Are the holes in each bottom cubby your design or theirs? It makes sense for cords but if full of records is this supposed to be some sort of ventilation?

It's interesting to me that they used full pieces for the larger boards and glued up for the smaller boards. Also, I like that they dadoed in the vertical shelves but I am assuming the doweled the the main corners? It's hard to tell, there's clear patches, covers, on the sides so maybe it is is screwed together. Are the holes in each bottom cubby your design or theirs? It makes sense for cords but if full of records is this supposed to be some sort of ventilation?

There were originally no holes in the bottom cubby, but I decided if I ever in the future converted this into non-vinyl furniture it would be nice to have some cable routing options. And I figured they'll be covered in use so the aesthetic penalty is small.

I am not enough of a woodworker to answer your questions, but I could send detail shots once it actually gets here. I ended up going with these guys because they really seemed to have their act together in terms of fit and finish, and the pieces all looked very well-assembled.

This piece is wider, taller, and deeper than the unit it was based on, so that + the availability of materials during COVID may have influenced their decision making on the smaller shelves.

There were originally no holes in the bottom cubby, but I decided if I ever in the future converted this into non-vinyl furniture it would be nice to have some cable routing options. And I figured they'll be covered in use so the aesthetic penalty is small.

I am not enough of a woodworker to answer your questions, but I could send detail shots once it actually gets here. I ended up going with these guys because they really seemed to have their act together in terms of fit and finish, and the pieces all looked very well-assembled.

This piece is wider, taller, and deeper than the unit it was based on, so that + the availability of materials during COVID may have influenced their decision making on the smaller shelves.

The glued up smaller boards is no criticism, just an observation of efficiency. They are using their cutoffs to make the dividers. The whole large pieces is indicative of attention to detail and not cutting costs as that grain is fully visible. It is far, far more economical to glue up large pieces rather than source full boards of high presentation quality.

The glued up smaller boards is no criticism, just an observation of efficiency. They are using their cutoffs to make the dividers. The whole large pieces is indicative of attention to detail and not cutting costs as that grain is fully visible. It is far, far more economical to glue up large pieces rather than source full boards of high presentation quality.

Yeah, a lot of these Etsy shops seem like a guy in his garage, and at least a few of them are legitimately amateur, but these guys really seem to run a tight shop. Been very impressed with the operation.

I'll post a few more pictures once it gets here and I've moved into it, so to speak.

That is really nice. Every time I think I know what I want something like this happens.LOL

ok, i know the title of this thread is “vinyl storage” but does anyone know of a good case/library/shelf/anything for storing CDs ??? and by CDs, i mean all kinds of packaged CDs. bc most CD storage cases only have room for standard jewel cases, and im getting kind of tired having to separate double and/or triple-gatefold digipaks from the jewel-cased CDs. pls send help :(

Depends how many you have but if you have use a kallax for your records is to look at the inserts. They essentially cut a cube in half. I still have about 300 cds. Most are in away in a cupboard. But my boxsets and nicer packaged ones are out in the kallax. I have not bought any of the inserts yet but have a homemade version. Hope to get to an Ikea in the fall. You can fit about 35+ jewel cases in a row. So 2 cubes would let you store about 140+ jewel cases.

This is a bit silly, but my customized cabinet design is now available for order on Tomfoolery's shop.
I actually ordered this from Tomfoolery yesterday. It checks all the boxes for me (lots of room for all my gear, current or future, as well as room for LP overflow, without being 7 feet wide). Thanks so much for sharing your cabinet and customer service experience! My own experience so far has been very positive and extremely professional as well. I doubt I would have found this cabinet otherwise. You are some sort of audiophile power broker between this and the Sutherland Insight transaction!! Now to anxiously wait about 4 months for it to be delivered....

I am, by no measure an audiophile, just a craftman. I hope I'm not breaking any rules or angering anyone, but I just wanted to pop on here since Mr. Fields was so kind to share this thread with me. Thank you to everyone for the kindness and even the criticism! I am very grateful for both.

RE: LONGER SIDE PANEL
It's 3 boards seamlessly arranged. We do not always get THIS lucky, but I do train our guys to blend and retain continuity best they can. It's pretty cool when it works out this way, blending sap wood into heart wood making lines disappear. Believe it or not, using really wide boards, say wider than 12-13" then milling them down to 3/4" thick can be prone to more cupping or warping over the lifetime of the furniture piece. Panels using a multiple boards (with wood grain flip flopping, think "happy face, sad face, happy face") glued together typically stay flatter. Of course, there are a million variables and instances where the inverse could be true too, but as a general rule.

RE: INTERIOR VERTICAL PANELS
You are certainly correct about making sure we are netting as high of a yield as we can. For these smaller interior panels, we will glue up a panel 3-4 times the length of single a "interior vert" then cut the lengths down to the needed 13.5".

I hope this information helps. If you guys have any other questions about the woodworking side of things, just sent me an email. Always happy to help. Thank you again for the feedback and kindness. Be well!

Dan Deschenes

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 13
Welcome @Tomfoolerywood! We're generally a friendly bunch, so there shouldn't be any problems. Also, I don't know of any rules against posts like yours.
Now that you mention it, I could see the joints in the long boards, but only just. Excellent job matching them!

Back