Vinyl Storage Recommendation

IMG_2254.jpgIMG_2255.jpg
friends, confidants,

i have a standard ikea Kallax and noticed the right LP's have been permanently warped. not sure what's happening here. are these packed way too tight? the warp is like a wave. im at a loss.

View attachment 57384View attachment 57385
friends, confidants,

i have a standard ikea Kallax and noticed the right LP's have been permanently warped. not sure what's happening here. are these packed way too tight? the warp is like a wave. im at a loss.
Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before...only things I could think of are a heat source (direct sunlight or some kind of radiator) or MAYBE they are packed too tight? But not sure why it would damage them that way. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to remove a record from the shelf pretty easily without too much force.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before...only things I could think of are a heat source (direct sunlight or some kind of radiator) or MAYBE they are packed too tight? But not sure why it would damage them that way. My rule of thumb is that you should be able to remove a record from the shelf pretty easily without too much force.

behind it is a mess of electronics and power cords, maybe it's too packed as well/too close to the walls. that makes a lot of sense actually

Anybody have recommendations for sleeves for box sets? Specifically looking for something for the MoFi One steps and similar sizes (approximately 1 1/4" thick). Would prefer something that has a flap on top or something to prevent dust from coming in from the tops. Thanks! Also, I'm moving some records and things into storage so think I'll pick up the same kind of shelving that @MattS grabbed!

I bought a pack of these which i like. Clear and resealable and is a good fit for the One-Step. Don't know the brand, though, since i got them loose. And not that cheap, at least not at this place: 5 Outer Sleeves for Vinyl LP Box Sets Protection Transparent Polypropylene Plastic 30mm

IMG_3509.jpeg

Only slight downside, i guess, is the top sides...

IMG_3508.jpeg

I also use something like this when handling the box-set 😬 (Fingerprints are bad, mmkay)

13923.jpg

behind it is a mess of electronics and power cords, maybe it's too packed as well/too close to the walls. that makes a lot of sense actually

figured it out earlier today, in case anyone was wondering.

The record-filled box in that kallax shares a wall with my router and apple tv. It's nice and clean but a total heat sink. not sure why i ever thought that would be a good idea. I have it covered with a little shelf insert so i sometimes forget that stuff is back there. I'm out here making rookie moves! i've since moved my records to be at least 1 box separated until i find a better place to house all my TV stuff.

The record-filled box in that kallax shares a wall with my router and apple tv. It's nice and clean but a total heat sink. not sure why i ever thought that would be a good idea. I have it covered with a little shelf insert so i sometimes forget that stuff is back there. I'm out here making rookie moves! i've since moved my records to be at least 1 box separated until i find a better place to house all my TV stuff.
Oof! Hopefully nothing too valuable got damaged!

hmmm, now im worried for the one third of my collection that i have at my parent’s house. it’s in one of those kallax hybrid tv stands so all the records are at the bottom, and the TV is at the top. granted, nothing too valuable is there, and i’ve checked them every time i visit, but now i need to make sure it’s all good.

photo for reference

CA172298-C8CF-4318-B6E7-0CFDC92D5BDA.png

I’m shocked that was generating enough heat to damage the records! Our AppleTV tends to run pretty cool.

glad you figured it out, sorry it cost you.

I’m shocked that was generating enough heat to damage the records! Our AppleTV tends to run pretty cool.

glad you figured it out, sorry it cost you.

should've been more clear, the box houses basically all my stuff; modem, router, surge protector & apple tv, etc.
apple tv by itself does run cool. I don't have my LP's near it anymore but will be looking for a cooler solution in the future

should've been more clear, the box houses basically all my stuff; modem, router, surge protector & apple tv, etc.
apple tv by itself does run cool. I don't have my LP's near it anymore but will be looking for a cooler solution in the future

Are the records warped beyond repair? We have several people on the forum here with Vinyl Flats who may be able to help you out.

I bought a pack of these which i like. Clear and resealable and is a good fit for the One-Step. Don't know the brand, though, since i got them loose. And not that cheap, at least not at this place: 5 Outer Sleeves for Vinyl LP Box Sets Protection Transparent Polypropylene Plastic 30mm

I'm not doing it to make you feel bad but I was literally looking for a solution today and it looks like vinyl gourmet are serving up what I found on protected.de except they're only giving you 5 for almost the same price that you could get 25 for. Pretty shameless considering they even use the same stock photo.

They also have a smaller size and larger size:

Anyway maybe you only did need 5 like me but in case you need more I wouldn't hesitate to recommend protected. I buy my other sleeves from them as well.

I had posted in another thread somewhat recently that I've always had my eye on the Symbol Audio Max turntable stand, because I really needed a better solution for where my turntable would live but also, like most of us, am running out of room for all these records that keep mysteriously showing up at my door. o_O

Well I finally decided to go for it. Overall I'm really happy with it. Shipping was fast and assembly was easy. There was one minor hiccup where one of the small dividers for the bottom shelf didn't fit into it's slot correctly so I had to sand it down a little to get it to fit. Overall not that big of a deal, but for the price of these things you'd hope stuff like that wouldn't happen. Otherwise, very pleased overall though now that its up and doing its job!

Oh and note that this photo was taken shortly after I assembled it, so yes, it is completely full already! :)

IMG_3143.jpg

I had posted in another thread somewhat recently that I've always had my eye on the Symbol Audio Max turntable stand, because I really needed a better solution for where my turntable would live but also, like most of us, am running out of room for all these records that keep mysteriously showing up at my door. o_O

Well I finally decided to go for it. Overall I'm really happy with it. Shipping was fast and assembly was easy. There was one minor hiccup where one of the small dividers for the bottom shelf didn't fit into it's slot correctly so I had to sand it down a little to get it to fit. Overall not that big of a deal, but for the price of these things you'd hope stuff like that wouldn't happen. Otherwise, very pleased overall though now that its up and doing its job!

Oh and note that this photo was taken shortly after I assembled it, so yes, it is completely full already! :)

View attachment 57750
Nice--I've had my eye on some of their bigger units but haven't pulled the trigger yet...My dad was going to build a shelf for me after I made some plans and I think he's been pretty frustrated with building it so I just ended up buying another Mapleshade shelf for now. That looks nice though.

Nice--I've had my eye on some of their bigger units but haven't pulled the trigger yet...My dad was going to build a shelf for me after I made some plans and I think he's been pretty frustrated with building it so I just ended up buying another Mapleshade shelf for now. That looks nice though.

Yeah some of their bigger units are beautiful, if I had the room I would definitely consider it down the road when I inevitably need more record storage. Actually who am I kidding, I already need more record storage.

Yeah some of their bigger units are beautiful, if I had the room I would definitely consider it down the road when I inevitably need more record storage. Actually who am I kidding, I already need more record storage.
Yeaaa...I bought two new Mapleshade shelves in the past few months to get some records off the floor. They are meant to hold about 150 single LPs and I filled them and still have a few things on the floor hah.

View attachment 57750
love the symbol stuff, the dream is to eventually get an aero (will save enough by 2077) . can that really hold 250 records though? with sleeves i'd be surprised if it could hold 150

love the symbol stuff, the dream is to eventually get an aero (will save enough by 2077) . can that really hold 250 records though? with sleeves i'd be surprised if it could hold 150
I'm guessing they are estimating 250 single LPs where the vinyl is not stored behind the sleeve. I think I lose a lot of space storing my records the way I do, but it's just WAY easier for me to access the albums and not really damage the sleeves at all.

Back