Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Forgot the “new” Ikea record storage units just came out:

Pity they don’t come in veneer or different colour options. Black furniture reminds me of my childhood bedroom circa 1991…

Those look great!
They also have these record stands

Speaker stands for a desk:

And the rest of the collection is here:

All black everything! Sorry @Joe Mac 🤣

They also have these record stands

Speaker stands for a desk:

And the rest of the collection is here:

All black everything! Sorry @Joe Mac 🤣

Yeah I copy and pasted the collection name into the local ikea app and saw them all. Apart from the colour thing it’d be nice to have a back on the bottom two shelves of the big unit. I know the kallax doesn’t too but if you put gear on the upper shelves then the cables and records are going to get in each others way.

Those speaker stands on a desk would create a nice near field monitor listening space for the likes of an office system.

I agree, I was disappointed to see black was the only option. That's partly why I might go to the trouble of building something myself.
I can't tell what material this one is made out of?

is it metal or wood? i might try to see in person (or if you go to Ikea at some point before me can ya let me know?)

is it metal or wood? i might try to see in person (or if you go to Ikea at some point before me can ya let me know?)
I might be able to swing down there this weekend. If I do, I'll report back.

Steel frame and particle board shelves. They list the materials of every product on its page….

ah thanks. for some reason i didn't see it on mobile.

might consider buying that one and putting my own wooden shelves on it then...

On the mobile page it condenses it to save space. It’s in one of the sub menus under the description.

Yeah I copy and pasted the collection name into the local ikea app and saw them all. Apart from the colour thing it’d be nice to have a back on the bottom two shelves of the big unit. I know the kallax doesn’t too but if you put gear on the upper shelves then the cables and records are going to get in each others way.

Those speaker stands on a desk would create a nice near field monitor listening space for the likes of an office system.

If they did those speaker stands in white I’d be tempted for my downstairs set up

I'll probably pick-up a bunch of those 12 gallon bags when I go next. Those could be very useful if I need to temporarily move my collection around and they'll store well when not in use. Any idea how many records they hold?

I'll probably pick-up a bunch of those 12 gallon bags when I go next. Those could be very useful if I need to temporarily move my collection around and they'll store well when not in use. Any idea how many records they hold?
Hadn’t even noticed those but yeah, I can see how they might come in handy. Based on the one photo with records in the bag, I’d estimate at least a 50-record capacity. But I sure wouldn’t want to have to pick that up if it was full.

Hadn’t even noticed those but yeah, I can see how they might come in handy. Based on the one photo with records in the bag, I’d estimate at least a 50-record capacity. But I sure wouldn’t want to have to pick that up if it was full.

Yeah, it's hard to say. That recycled fiber glass they use should be quite strong but it really depends on how well the straps are attached.

I've had to move some of my cubes around a few times in the basement. You obviously need to take all the records out first. These would have been nice to hold them instead of lining them up against a wall. But I'm also thinking ahead - say I need to do a reno or something. Anyway, since they're supposedly limited edition and cheap, why not.

Yeah, it's hard to say. That recycled fiber glass they use should be quite strong but it really depends on how well the straps are attached.

I've had to move some of my cubes around a few times in the basement. You obviously need to take all the records out first. These would have been nice to hold them instead of lining them up against a wall. But I'm also thinking ahead - say I need to do a reno or something. Anyway, since they're supposedly limited edition and cheap, why not.

Yeah I badly need to redecorate my living room but the thoughts of moving 1100 records is holding things up right now…

Last edited:

I agree. My comment was more about my own weaknesses rather than the bags’. 😜

Description says holds up to 100 records (assuming that’s thin jacket 1Lps).

New storage project. And I must begin with a shout out to the MRS. second - I love estate sales. So, about six months ago was at an antique store and saw this old timey cooler/ ice box sort of contraption and said this would be a cool album storage device and a record would not fit in the shelf. It was about waste height and you know us old timers, we hate to bend over. Fast forward to a month ago and was at an estate sale and found an actual 70’s mid-mod record shelf/stand. They were asking $100…I went back 5 minutes before closing and offered $30. Got it for $35. Wife (“Delta Dawn”) picked out some cool British racing green paint and here is the result! It holds @ 350 or so records.

Attachments

• 7C22DE44-50E3-4E1A-86B1-1F35DBDF889B.jpeg
    7C22DE44-50E3-4E1A-86B1-1F35DBDF889B.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 68CB9F05-EF1D-4FBC-99DA-7F0021B34724.jpeg
    68CB9F05-EF1D-4FBC-99DA-7F0021B34724.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 22
These are kind of basic, but look like they are well made, in the Pacific Northwest, and they definitely provide a storage solution. No stain options other than natural birch at the listed prices, but custom sizes appear to be available. I think I'm going to give them a go, and I'll opt for an 18" crate rather than the 24" that is one of their standard sizes. Prices include shipping.

Back