Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Does anyone organize their collection chronologically?

I’ve been thinking about doing this lately, curious what are the pros / cons
I do, sort of.

I keep my jazz, country and world music separate, but for the bulk of my collection I break it down into chronological groups and alphabetize within them. So I have a 60's section, a 70's section, a "late 70's-early's 80's" section (where most of my punk and new wave reside), a "peak 80's" section, then a "college/90's section" and finally a "this century." It more-or-less coincides with my life stages, so I visit particular sections when I want to evoke a certain kind of nostalgia. It's imperfect but gets the job done.

Probably depends on the size of your collection. For me, it would make it difficult to easily locate things unless I had a key or a guide to reference. Having Rolling Stones and Neil Young records scattered throughout my shelves would make me itchy.

If Discogs was better you could do it in the database. But you would need a free field to enter proper date information.

And what would you do for compilations that cover multiple years?

That’s a good point.
Yeah, the problem I have with this idea, even within artist, is that I'd have to know the chronology to put it in order in the first place, and then to find what I'm looking for when I want to play it. Alphabetical, by genre, is more than good enough for me. BUT, given how personal and quirky collecting can be (and is!), I can understand why someone might view this as a cool and even necessary element of shelving their vinyl.

Yeah, the problem I have with this idea, even within artist, is that I'd have to know the chronology to put it in order in the first place, and then to find what I'm looking for when I want to play it. Alphabetical, by genre, is more than good enough for me. BUT, given how personal and quirky collecting can be (and is!), I can understand why someone might view this as a cool and even necessary element of shelving their vinyl.
yea--i don't want to have to google what year an album came out to attempt to find it in my shelves.

for now, i have a jazz section, a MoFi shelf and then everything else. all arranged by artist.

yea--i don't want to have to google what year an album came out to attempt to find it in my shelves.

for now, i have a jazz section, a MoFi shelf and then everything else. all arranged by artist.
Hmmm, I guess I do have a bit of chronology worked into my system. I have a 'general rock' section that's older stuff, probably no later than the 70's-80's except for stuff put out by bands from that earlier era; a 'current/indie' section that's, well, more current; a 'singer/songwriter section oriented toward solo artists (unless they're current, like Van Etten, Dacus, etc., who go in the current/indie section); a jazz section; an '80's' section because to my listening it's the only decade with a truly distinctive sound and I don't want to contaminate the rest of my records ;); a small 'blues' section; and separate shelf space for MoFi's and Japan pressings of jazz. Alphabetical (by last name) within sections.

Hmmm, I guess I do have a bit of chronology worked into my system. I have a 'general rock' section that's older stuff, probably no later than the 70's-80's except for stuff put out by bands from that earlier era; a 'current/indie' section that's, well, more current; a 'singer/songwriter section oriented toward solo artists (unless they're current, like Van Etten, Dacus, etc., who go in the current/indie section); a jazz section; an '80's' section because to my listening it's the only decade with a truly distinctive sound and I don't want to contaminate the rest of my records ;); a small 'blues' section; and separate shelf space for MoFi's and Japan pressings of jazz. Alphabetical (by last name) within sections.
my main rule is I want to be able to find a record I want to listen to in the easiest and quickest way possible. i don't want to have to dig for 10 minutes, try to remember what era/year it came out, what genre i would consider an album or look in discogs to find where on my shelves a record is.

the only other organization I have is underneath my Linton shelves. One shelf has more laid back/chill music while the other shelf has stuff that's more energetic. i find that kinda fun since I don't have (*am not allowed) to have other record storage downstairs haha. my wife and i often sit downstairs on the weekends and put a record on with coffee/tea and a book. so we'll just grab something from one shelf or the other depending on our mood.

the funniest thing i have seen with record storage was a guy on reddit who was also a computer programmer. he hooked up a laser pointer to a track and motor opposite his record shelving. he could type into a program what album he wanted to listen to, and the laser pointer would turn on and move along the track to point to where the album on his shelves haha.

my main rule is I want to be able to find a record I want to listen to in the easiest and quickest way possible. i don't want to have to dig for 10 minutes, try to remember what era/year it came out, what genre i would consider an album or look in discogs to find where on my shelves a record is.

the only other organization I have is underneath my Linton shelves. One shelf has more laid back/chill music while the other shelf has stuff that's more energetic. i find that kinda fun since I don't have (*am not allowed) to have other record storage downstairs haha. my wife and i often sit downstairs on the weekends and put a record on with coffee/tea and a book. so we'll just grab something from one shelf or the other depending on our mood.

the funniest thing i have seen with record storage was a guy on reddit who was also a computer programmer. he hooked up a laser pointer to a track and motor opposite his record shelving. he could type into a program what album he wanted to listen to, and the laser pointer would turn on and move along the track to point to where the album on his shelves haha.

Digital in the record selection process is just unacceptable

Last edited:
Sale at VSS:

15% off 18 collections
Use code: JB202215%OFF at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.​

SPECIAL OFFER
10% off Bulk Orders
Use code: JB202210%OFF at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.​

They also have a new 12.75” sleeve coming out

Sale at VSS:

15% off 18 collections
Use code: JB202215%OFF at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.​

SPECIAL OFFER
10% off Bulk Orders
Use code: JB202210%OFF at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.​

They also have a new 12.75” sleeve coming out
Gonna give them a go! Ordered some 12.5's, some 13's, and a few box set sleeves.

Does anyone here have the 5x5 kallax? Is it a complete pain in the ass to move? Do you need to worry about that much weight on a floor?

I'm moving soon and will have an extra room in the new place that I'm going to use as a listening room/office. I have a 4x4, could fill another and then some, but for aesthetic reasons I'd like some symmetry that adding the 5x5 will completely throw off. I don't think they have 2x5s but if they did I might go for two of those with one on each side. Hard for me to visualize if that would look terrible or not though. My other option I've considered would be to build something myself, but it would be a bigger project than I've taken on before because of the weight issue with vinyl.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Does anyone here have the 5x5 kallax? Is it a complete pain in the ass to move? Do you need to worry about that much weight on a floor?

I'm moving soon and will have an extra room in the new place that I'm going to use as a listening room/office. I have a 4x4, could fill another and then some, but for aesthetic reasons I'd like some symmetry that adding the 5x5 will completely throw off. I don't think they have 2x5s but if they did I might go for two of those with one on each side. Hard for me to visualize if that would look terrible or not though. My other option I've considered would be to build something myself, but it would be a bigger project than I've taken on before because of the weight issue with vinyl.

Any recommendations or ideas?
I’ve sold my previous 5x5s instead of moving them in the past. Pain in the ass to move up/down stairs and not worth taking it apart and putting it back together. Not sure about the weight. I’ve never filled them completely with records before—always a mix of records on the bottom few shelves then lighter stuff on top

I’ve sold my previous 5x5s instead of moving them in the past. Pain in the ass to move up/down stairs and not worth taking it apart and putting it back together. Not sure about the weight. I’ve never filled them completely with records before—always a mix of records on the bottom few shelves then lighter stuff on top
I think the pain in the ass factor might be enough to not go that route. Even the 4x4 is awful to move.

I think the pain in the ass factor might be enough to not go that route. Even the 4x4 is awful to move.
It’s just unwieldy unless you take it apart. They are great if you don’t plan to move again anytime soon but I had them when I was in apartments and just sold them or gave them away every time I moved.

Forgot the “new” Ikea record storage units just came out:

It’s just unwieldy unless you take it apart. They are great if you don’t plan to move again anytime soon but I had them when I was in apartments and just sold them or gave them away every time I moved.
Yeah, that's the problem. Still living in apartments and until I get tenure buying a house in this market seems like a really bad idea right now. I hadn't seen those new Ikea ones you posted yet, might drive down this weekend and check them out.

Yeah, that's the problem. Still living in apartments and until I get tenure buying a house in this market seems like a really bad idea right now. I hadn't seen those new Ikea ones you posted yet, might drive down this weekend and check them out.
They just came out with those this week I think. IKEA and Swedish House Mafia did a collaboration on a lot of stuff (they even have an IKEA turntable now haha). I need to go to an ikea soon too but my wife might murder me if I buy more record storage 😅

Forgot the “new” Ikea record storage units just came out:

Those look great!

Back