Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Looking for some good vinyl storage ideas for about 2,000 records. For now, I am planning on doing two 4x4 kallax next to each other and like that look, but open to other ideas too! Whatcha got?!
Outside of custom cabinets (which would be very expensive for 2,000 records...) I think kallax is probably your best bet. I really love the Mapleshade shelves since they are modular but they are really expensive now.

what do you recommend for storing 10" and 7" records... because i just have them on an old rack
Bags Unlimited has some decent options. I have a couple of the Ultra Boxx's myself and they are working out well.

Bags Unlimited has some decent options. I have a couple of the Ultra Boxx's myself and they are working out well.

Yea I use these for my jukebox titles, and then for the ones I play on my TT more, I have a few of the small 45 boxes with the handles similar to this one.

tmv615-geo-pattern-45-box.jpg

If you only own 2 7"s and don't plan to get many more, a 45 box like one of these might be your best bet. They don't take up a ton of space but do protect them and prevent dust. For 10", I just store them on my regular shelves with the LPs.

As for sleeves, I have the 5 mil Sleeve City sleeves on my entire collection, minus a few oversized ect.. but the thought of introducing something different now makes me itchy, lol

On that note, we got everything moved around on the expanded Kallax..............Woot woot for some breathing room ;)
View attachment 88167
Is it just the lighting or do you have plastic or something on the surface of the shelves?

Target, multiple colors and If I remember correctly like $6.00
20190804_145930.jpg

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Does anyone else mod their Kallax? Especially with baseboards, having no back stinks. I have been putting a back on with that super thin flexible plywood and a 2x2 in the back of each cube, because I don't like how far back the records sit otherwise. The back also serves to make it much sturdier left to right. Just did a new 1x4 that will serve to spread my collection to the opposite side of the room.

Just curious about what anyone else does.

@dhodo: Agree that having no back can be a drag in some circumstances. There was some conversation here recently about using backspacers as sold here: Backspacer (for IKEA Kallax/Expedit). Others have used pool noodles (see here for example) cut to size and wedged into place. As for adding a backing, not a bad way to go (but still need something at back of shelves if you don't want your records pushed all the way back), and also adds stability to the unit.

@dhodo: Agree that having no back can be a drag in some circumstances. There was some conversation here recently about using backspacers as sold here: Backspacer (for IKEA Kallax/Expedit). Others have used pool noodles (see here for example) cut to size and wedged into place. As for adding a backing, not a bad way to go (but still need something at back of shelves if you don't want your records pushed all the way back), and also adds stability to the unit.
Interesting. Are people cutting a slit in the pool noodles and sliding it on the back?

Here's what I did in case anyone is curious. Maybe took 30 min other than waiting for the spray paint to dry?

PXL_20210217_155331296.jpg

PXL_20210217_155405395.jpg

Here's my full 2x4 that I did the same way:

PXL_20210217_155637196.jpg

Interesting. Are people cutting a slit in the pool noodles and sliding it on the back?

Here's what I did in case anyone is curious. Maybe took 30 min other than waiting for the spray paint to dry?

View attachment 88561

Here's my full 2x4 that I did the same way:

View attachment 88562
I switched from pool noodles to the backspacers - I couldn’t be more pleased with them. Here’s how mine looks with the backspacers

493F7C6F-0520-44CA-8349-4D9C2F7F37FE.jpeg
5E7DFEE2-4C58-4484-BFF0-0E6E788619DF.jpeg

Nice, that is a super simple elegant solution. I guess one could just screw a piece of plywood or anything the right size back there too.
Yeah, the fact that I’m not super handy and these are fairly cheap and straight forward to use made them a no brainer for me personally.

ok, well if you've been following my posts on the front page you'd see I've been on quite a journey.

Everything is fixed and oriented properly on the Expedit I've inherited. Now though, I've noticed this slight gap on the second row from the top where the horizontal boards meets the outside boards and their pegs. Now they're not fully out, you can just see some of the peg. I can slam it back in place, but then it leave the left side with the same issue.

Any ideas for a fix? I just ordered some corner brackets for extra security on the top and sides of the shelf. Do you think that'll solve this issue? is it even an issue? Kallax/Expedit shelves that I have setup around the apartment range from 1x4, 2x4 and 2x2 and they all have a slight "wobble" to them despite knowing full well I built them correctly.

ok, well if you've been following my posts on the front page you'd see I've been on quite a journey.

Everything is fixed and oriented properly on the Expedit I've inherited. Now though, I've noticed this slight gap on the second row from the top where the horizontal boards meets the outside boards and their pegs. Now they're not fully out, you can just see some of the peg. I can slam it back in place, but then it leave the left side with the same issue.

Any ideas for a fix? I just ordered some corner brackets for extra security on the top and sides of the shelf. Do you think that'll solve this issue? is it even an issue? Kallax/Expedit shelves that I have setup around the apartment range from 1x4, 2x4 and 2x2 and they all have a slight "wobble" to them despite knowing full well I built them correctly.
I know I sound like a broken record idiot at this poimt my but I think even a partial back would fix all those problems.

I can't remember, do these ones use the wooden pegs for the shelves? Or just the cam lock screws? You can wood glue those wooden dowels in easily, which might serve to be a solution to that gap if you can put enough pressure on it (or just turn it sideways again) to effectively clamp it. That would be easier. The 1x4 I just did don't have any wooden pegs, but I can't remember if that has changed or is different between different sizes.

I have found that side to side wobble is definitely normal on all my ikea furniture, especially if I don't wood glue the dowels. That has helped some on the pieces I bothered to do that with.

Back