Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

See, up here we avoid VAT, so with the free records and discounts it works out pretty well. At 23% extra? ... nah you will be fine.

Yeah I think there’s still a bit of institutional incompetence in Britain. You adopted very similar rules to us surrounding import duty after brexit but I just don’t think they’re even remotely bothering to enforce it at Royal Mail lol. Definitely wouldn’t be complaining!

Completely non-judgemental, just curious: What don't you like about instrumental jazz @Joe Mac ? Does it all just sound like the same noise rinsed and repeated ad infinitum? Just not a fan of the instruments typically fronting jazz bands?

Completely non-judgemental, just curious: What don't you like about instrumental jazz @Joe Mac ? Does it all just sound like the same noise rinsed and repeated ad infinitum? Just not a fan of the instruments typically fronting jazz bands?

I just generally don’t enjoy instrumental music. I find it much easier to connect with a voice and I can struggle with music that goes on a bit, it loses my attention. Jazz as an art form is generally not my thing either. So all in all it just isn’t for me.

As I said above even with vocal jazz it’s the vocalists that draw me in rather than the form. The stuff I have is pretty limited to a section of great voices.

Last edited:
Even as someone who loves instrumental music and listens to a fair bit of instrumental jazz, a lot of it is boring and sounds the same. I know many disagree and would say the same about music I love (diversity of tastes is great and no judgement on all who disagree and love the genre wholesale) but I usually put jazz on when I want something boring while I work. And definitely not all jazz fits that, but enough does imo.

Unlike most of y'all I do strongly dislike a lot of vocal jazz. With a few exception though.

Even as someone who loves instruments music and listens to a fair bit of instrumental jazz, a lot of it is boring and sounds the same. I know many disagree and would say the same about music I love (diversity of tastes is great and no judgement on all who disagree and love the genre wholesale) but I usually put jazz on when I want something boring while I work. And definitely not all jazz fits that, but enough does imo.

Yeah if I ever gravitate towards any instrumental music it’s classical and more recently I’ve been drawn more to more modern “less is more” minimal classical where what isn’t there is as important as what is.

Even then it’s much more as background music, Great for cooking or working to. I’d rarely sit on the sofa and listen to it.

Yeah if I ever gravitate towards any instrumental music it’s classical and more recently I’ve been drawn more to more modern “less is more” minimal classical where what isn’t there is as important as what is.

Even then it’s much more as background music, Great for cooking or working to. I’d rarely sit on the sofa and listen to it.
Absolutely. It's great for when I'm working and writing. It's not too distracting. Vocals pull me in too much and distract me when I'm trying to get stuff done.

But I do love a lot of instrumental stuff that is layered and builds in intensity. I can sit and listen to that and fall into space. Could be because I did a lot of hallucinogens in my younger years to that kind of music, but I enjoy it now as an aid to thinking. I get your perspective on it though, vocals are usually what draw me into music. For most music, if I don't love the voice then I'll not listen no matter how good the rest is.

Okay, I have some questions as I peruse the freebies after a couple/few years away...

• Can anybody here speak to the quality of the 10th Anniversary edition of Girl On Fire (Alicia Keys) and/or the 20th Anniversary edition of Under Construction (Missy Elliott)
  • I have very solid OG versions of The Silver Tongued Devil And I and Willie And Family Live, is there anything incredibly mindblowing about the VMP versions that would warrant doubling up?
  • I know Classics has pretty consistently seen top-notch pressings over the years... how did The Three Faces of Yusef Lateef and Monk's Music turn out? Is Monk's Music, in particular, worth the missing cut or am I better off tracking down an OJC mono?
  • Has anybody here heard the new non-VMP reissue of Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep, or heard how it stacks up with the VMP version?

• Lastly (for now, anyway), I'd love to hear any thoughts on Honky Tonk Heroes and Joshua Judges Ruth...

My current definites (provided they're still available Sunday/Monday) are:

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
AIR - Moon Safari
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

...with other strong contenders currently being:

Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (*I have an OG Santa Maria copy of this, but unlike the two mentioned above, it really DOES need an upgrade)
Moses Sumney - Live from Blackalachia
The Coup - Genocide & Juice
Ernest Hood - Back to the Woodlands

...If I sign back up before things flip to next month's ROTMs I will also be swapping my first pick for either Bone Thugs-N-Harmony or something above that doesn't make the 8 freebies cut.

Okay, I have some questions as I peruse the freebies after a couple/few years away...

• Can anybody here speak to the quality of the 10th Anniversary edition of Girl On Fire (Alicia Keys) and/or the 20th Anniversary edition of Under Construction (Missy Elliott)
  • I have very solid OG versions of The Silver Tongued Devil And I and Willie And Family Live, is there anything incredibly mindblowing about the VMP versions that would warrant doubling up?
  • I know Classics has pretty consistently seen top-notch pressings over the years... how did The Three Faces of Yusef Lateef and Monk's Music turn out? Is Monk's Music, in particular, worth the missing cut or am I better off tracking down an OJC mono?
  • Has anybody here heard the new non-VMP reissue of Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep, or heard how it stacks up with the VMP version?

• Lastly (for now, anyway), I'd love to hear any thoughts on Honky Tonk Heroes and Joshua Judges Ruth...

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
AIR - Moon Safari

Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (*I have an OG Santa Maria copy of this, but unlike the two mentioned above, it really DOES need an upgrade)

...If I sign back up before things flip to next month's ROTMs I will also be swapping my first pick for either Bone Thugs-N-Harmony or something above that doesn't make the 8 freebies cut.
Honky Tonk Heroes sounds great.

Three Faces is nice. I’ve not heard the OJC of Monk, but might lean that way.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
AIR - Moon Safari

Just want to second @EarWax and @Lee Newman and say that Honky Tonk Heroes and Joshua Judges Ruth both sound fantastic.

@avecigrec
  • I have Under Construction (Missy Elliott) and thought it was good but it hasn't left a lasting impression on me so...
  • The Silver Tongued Devil And I is really nice. Great pressing Willie And Family Live, also good. Maybe not as impressive as the Kristofferson though.
  • The Three Faces of Yusef Lateef is one of the best classics you can grab. Monk's Music turned out sweet as well. I can live without the extra track as it is faithful to the original release, all of these classics have nice depth. I thought the sound oN Trident by McCoy Tyner was particularly good but if you don't have Sun Ship by Coltrane, it is the jazz album I would grab. If you like jazz all of these are safe
  • I haven't heard the non-VMP reissue of Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep, but the VMP version sounds great.
  • Honky Tonk Heroes I had an issue on one of the tracks on side b, it seemed to lose audio for a split second, same with the replacement I got. Joshua Judges Ruth... A really nice sounding record, lots of care and very well packaged.

...and among your other strong contenders I would say:

Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (Get this)
Moses Sumney - Live from Blackalachia (Get this too)

Not sure if this was any help as I basically recommended nearly all of the albums. But there are definitely ones to prioritise.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
AIR - Moon Safari

@avecigrec
  • I have Under Construction (Missy Elliott) and thought it was good but it hasn't left a lasting impression on me so...
  • The Silver Tongued Devil And I is really nice. Great pressing Willie And Family Live, also good. Maybe not as impressive as the Kristofferson though.
  • The Three Faces of Yusef Lateef is one of the best classics you can grab. Monk's Music turned out sweet as well. I can live without the extra track as it is faithful to the original release, all of these classics have nice depth. I thought the sound oN Trident by McCoy Tyner was particularly good but if you don't have Sun Ship by Coltrane, it is the jazz album I would grab. If you like jazz all of these are safe
  • I haven't heard the non-VMP reissue of Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep, but the VMP version sounds great.
  • Honky Tonk Heroes I had an issue on one of the tracks on side b, it seemed to lose audio for a split second, same with the replacement I got. Joshua Judges Ruth... A really nice sounding record, lots of care and very well packaged.

...and among your other strong contenders I would say:

Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (Get this)
Moses Sumney - Live from Blackalachia (Get this too)

Not sure if this was any help as I basically recommended nearly all of the albums. But there are definitely ones to prioritise.
@avecigrec I completely agree with @Murfocakes assessment of the ones I have.

I have a copy of the 2018 RSD picture disc release of the Gravediggaz and, as you might expect, the VMP is significantly better. It was one of those albums that I wanted for years but the RSD one was the only official reissue from what I remember so I went for it and was disappointed at how average it sounded. The VMP was a great upgrade.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
AIR - Moon Safari

Under Construction - cheap package but great master. Punchy as hell.

VMP 6 Feet Deep is excellent, and the vinyl looks sick, nicer package.

Check your Head - Excellent, possibly best it's ever sounded.

The Coup - Another solid hip-hop master, punchy, well done.

B.I.G. - great package, good sound.

Sly - I mean the recording sucks so it's never going to sound great but it's fine. Nice package.

Air - really nice package, I think the sound could be more open. I've read the OGs sound much clearer, doesn't surprise me. It's good but could be better.

Anyone have that Irma Thomas that's going to be in TBT? Rewatching Tremé the other day and thought that I needed some Irma in the collection (she's in a number of episodes).

EDIT: Also if anyone has a remote interest in New Orleans music, or culture - or even just wants a great show with fantastic characters and story - make it a priority to watch Tremé.

Back