Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

The whole point is to drive traffic to the site through fomo. Plenty of people didn’t get what they wanted but bought some random thing anyhow.

VMP doesn’t care if you are disappointed. They don’t care if you like their business model. They want your money and that’s really it.
People would've still gone to the site, browsed and (if they were so inclined - which many are probably not) bought random shit regardless. The difference is they're not going to the site expecting some huge prize, rather the hopes they'll maybe get lucky and something they really want would be included in this.

I think the sales either way would've been the same. Just with less disappointment.

People would've still gone to the site, browsed and (if they were so inclined - which many are probably not) bought random shit regardless. The difference is they're not going to the site expecting some huge prize, rather the hopes they'll maybe get lucky and something they really want would be included in this.

I think the sales either way would've been the same. Just with less disappointment.
Nope. Fomo is a powerful motivator. They are masters of generating it. It’s funny to see folks still falling for it.

I would have bought tribe. I honestly forgot about the sale. Saw the email at 1201, logged in, searched tribe saw waitlist and went welp VMP gonna VMP. Then I saw someone say something about a hype sale being a shitshow and came to thread to see all the old complaints about them. VMP is gonna VMP.

Nope. Fomo is a powerful motivator. They are masters of generating it. It’s funny to see folks still falling for it.

I would have bought tribe. I honestly forgot about the sale. Saw the email at 1201, logged in, searched tribe saw waitlist and went welp VMP gonna VMP. Then I saw someone say something about a hype sale being a shitshow and came to thread to see all the old complaints about them. VMP is gonna VMP.
Agree to disagree here I guess.

I feel that saying it's their largest TBT generates a lot of FOMO as well. It just keeps the disappointment level down.

I feel that saying it's their largest TBT generates a lot of FOMO as well. It just keeps the disappointment level down.
Taking reddit as the temperature gauge. I've seen disappointments after TBTs. The hype is there, as well as the disappointment. People are checking it, and being disappointed that there's nothing there that they wanted, or that they only had a couple of copies of what they did.

What I have not seen is this insane level of disappointment. It's at critical mass right now. It's because they overreached on the FOMO.

They want you to be disappointed because you talk about it. I bet they do a similar “sale” next year. I’m telling you this is a pattern they have been at for at least six years at this point.

was anybody looking for the Bayete Jazz Dispensary in swaps but missed it? i have one in my swaps at the moment, but realized that i don't actually need it. happy to keep the order and sell it at the swap cost + shipping to someone here if they really want it, otherwise will just cancel it!

I have to say I kind of chuckle at all of this. Just so I understand - Did VMP promise everyone that everyone would get a copy of whatever was on their list? People knew these were (very) limited right? They knew that demand via the internet exceeded supply right? But now they're surprised/shocked/angry? At least I didn't have to actually drive to some store somewhere and wait in line for hours on end only to get shut out...oh wait, that's RSD, and people hate that too. I'd be willing to bet that the same people will be back in line again for the next online TBT or RSD or whatever.

Ok carry on.

I saw discussion of the re-stock and thought I wouldn't mind that Topaz Jones I missed then saw it was out of stock and was like oh well, money saved. Then I see all the responses like
community-donald-glover.gif

I have to say I kind of chuckle at all of this. Just so I understand - Did VMP promise everyone that everyone would get a copy of whatever was on their list? People knew these were (very) limited right? They knew that demand via the internet exceeded supply right? But now they're surprised/shocked/angry? At least I didn't have to actually drive to some store somewhere and wait in line for hours on end only to get shut out...oh wait, that's RSD, and people hate that too. I'd be willing to bet that the same people will be back in line again for the next online TBT or RSD or whatever.

Ok carry on.
The very top of the page and their marketing emails always note that the stock quantities are extremely limited and expect them to go fast. In a way they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As an aside, I'm a bit surprised seeing King Curtis and Bill Withers are still in stock, several hours later. Withers especially is a fantastic album and I highly recommend for anyone on the fence.

As an aside, I'm a bit surprised seeing King Curtis and Bill Withers are still in stock, several hours later. Withers especially is a fantastic album and I highly recommend for anyone on the fence.
both of these are really excellent. people are truly sleeping on them if they don't have them. that King Curtis was one of my favorite "new" discoveries from VMP in awhile.

Ok carry on.
People complain. Give them paradise, they'll tell you it's too bright.

Case in point: I hate your post and everything about it! Why? I don't know but imma let you know.

Ok carry on.
This!!!!!! I saw this coming a mile away…not surprised by the store drop and the backlash at all

1666913666989.gif

The very top of the page and their marketing emails always note that the stock quantities are extremely limited and expect them to go fast. In a way they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Grabbed the Withers with credit and really looking forward to that one. Already have King Curtis and definitely a favorite of mine.

maybe they did learn that bundles are meant to be cheaper!

Back