Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Anyone receive their Built To Spill yet? Curious about the pressing quality as I might grab it with my swap credits.
I have the RTI-pressed "Loser" edition of the new Built to Spill album. It is pressed fairly well, but the mix and mastering is lousy. I believe Doug recorded/compiled this album by himself in his home during COVID lockdowns. On a KEXP live show, I think he briefly mentions that he struggled with putting the album together by himself due to inexperience (could be paraphrasing that incorrectly).

The mastering, to me, sounds shrill and thin on the top end (kind of like a transcoded mp3). It is also kind of muddy at times all around, and just has this general lo-fi, unpolished sound to it. I really enjoy most of the tracks on the album (Rocksteady and Never Alright are both very good), and Doug's guitar work is always pretty fresh. But the sound quality on this release, especially when compared to previous albums (the Kevin Gray cuts of Keep it Like a Secret and You in Reverse), makes it very disappointing. The digital files sound nearly the same as the record.

I probably shouldn't say all this so you don't go into the album with this bias in your head, but I recommend listening to the digital files on your home stereo and that is about what you should expect for the LP. THe record is also pressed fairly quietly. I have to crank it up 10 db above my normal listening levels to get it where it needs to be. Lacks bottom end overall.

The jacket/artwork are all very well done. I love the gatefold.

Also, I am a huge fan of BTS, so I say all this will a deep appreciation for the band and their music.

I have the RTI-pressed "Loser" edition of the new Built to Spill album. It is pressed fairly well, but the mix and mastering is lousy. I believe Doug recorded/compiled this album by himself in his home during COVID lockdowns. On a KEXP live show, I think he briefly mentions that he struggled with putting the album together by himself due to inexperience (could be paraphrasing that incorrectly).

The mastering, to me, sounds shrill and thin on the top end (kind of like a transcoded mp3). It is also kind of muddy at times all around, and just has this general lo-fi, unpolished sound to it. I really enjoy most of the tracks on the album (Rocksteady and Never Alright are both very good), and Doug's guitar work is always pretty fresh. But the sound quality on this release, especially when compared to previous albums (the Kevin Gray cuts of Keep it Like a Secret and You in Reverse), makes it very disappointing. The digital files sound nearly the same as the record.

I probably shouldn't say all this so you don't go into the album with this bias in your head, but I recommend listening to the digital files on your home stereo and that is about what you should expect for the LP. THe record is also pressed fairly quietly. I have to crank it up 10 db above my normal listening levels to get it where it needs to be. Lacks bottom end overall.

The jacket/artwork are all very well done. I love the gatefold.

Also, I am a huge fan of BTS, so I say all this will a deep appreciation for the band and their music.
Thanks good to know. I half listened to a stream the other day and thought it was a bit thin sounding. I will give a closer listen before I buy the vinyl.

Pressing of 2,000 and in stock now. Might be more economical to wait if it hits swaps.
I think this 100% hits swaps and/or TBT in limited quantities. Almost the same deal as Jack White. Could be as soon as next month even, as these are ready to ship (which makes them $25 off $150 eligible if you're flush with cash).

We're currently down to 1650 is 40 mins. Going slower than I expected.
Seeing that it's still readily available through his own site I can't say I'm surprised at all it's not flying off the "shelves". The only real advantage is saving on shipping costs if you're a VMP member. I bought from him directly anyways because I'd rather him get the biggest cut of the revenue.

Back