Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

That'll be interesting if it gets totally stopped but a few copies make it out into the wild. I wonder how much that price will be driven up depending on how many copies actually get into the hands of people.

It reminds me of the original release of Prince's Black Album and how the release got stopped but some copies made it to fans. Heck, even though there eventually ended up being an official release (1994, I believe) it was very limited - I have the official releases on CD & vinyl and paid a pretty penny for both.

It will be interesting to see what people would pay for this if it never gets widely released, and interesting to see how many copies do make it to peoples' collections.
I have another weird release like this but not even remotely as rare or expensive as the black album...I have a box set of Michael Jackson reading an abridged version of E.T. along with a single he made for the movie lol. MJ agreed to record it and release it as long as the label didn’t release the single before Thriller came out. Of course the label released the album and MJ sued and all copies of the album were recalled. They also sent 7” promo records out with the single from the audiobook to radio stations and those got recalled and are now one of the most valuable MJ releases.

BCF15A1B-0FCD-44FA-8842-2A47FF0EB908.jpeg

That'll be interesting if it gets totally stopped but a few copies make it out into the wild. I wonder how much that price will be driven up depending on how many copies actually get into the hands of people.

It reminds me of the original release of Prince's Black Album and how the release got stopped but some copies made it to fans. Heck, even though there eventually ended up being an official release (1994, I believe) it was very limited - I have the official releases on CD & vinyl and paid a pretty penny for both.

It will be interesting to see what people would pay for this if it never gets widely released, and interesting to see how many copies do make it to peoples' collections.
My hope is that they have incurred such large costs already - advertising, mastering, pressing the record, hiring writers for the booklets & liner notes, editing and collating the extras, and shipping the records themselves - that they will almost be forced into coming to an agreement with the alternative being a massive hit financially.

I lived in São Paulo for 6 years and the Brazilian food was amazing. That stew is called moqueca.

São Paulo is one of the best food cities in the world because of the many waves of immigration throughout history. Japanese, Italian, Syrian-Lebanese... and yet my favorite are the regional Brazilian cuisines (mineira, nordestina, etc.).

I have another weird release like this but not even remotely as rare or expensive as the black album...I have a box set of Michael Jackson reading an abridged version of E.T. along with a single he made for the movie lol. MJ agreed to record it and release it as long as the label didn’t release the single before Thriller came out. Of course the label released the album and MJ sued and all copies of the album were recalled. They also sent 7” promo records out with the single from the audiobook to radio stations and those got recalled and are now one of the most valuable MJ releases.

View attachment 61329
I have a recalled record thats worth quite a bit now. Not as odd as @MikeH's but this is a 7" single by Queen. It's 'Hammer To Fall' with a photo of them playing live on the sleeve. The story goes that Brian May saw the single as they were being shipped and kicked off a fuss as it was a studio recording but the photo implied it was live. He didn't want to deceive fans so they recalled and destroyed them. A few copies made it out though. I picked up a stack of singles at a carboot sale years ago (maybe paid around 20p-50p each) and a copy was tucked in amongst them.

QUEEN_HAMMER+TO+FALL+-+LIVE+SLEEVE-41351.jpg

My hope is that they have incurred such large costs already - advertising, mastering, pressing the record, hiring writers for the booklets & liner notes, editing and collating the extras, and shipping the records themselves - that they will almost be forced into coming to an agreement with the alternative being a massive hit financially.
I think they will still have to repress it or reprint the sleeves to reflect who actually owns it and the right copyright. The other label could choose to sell them the recording if they can prove they should actually own it. But it’s a massive screwup any way you slice it. If the label suing has proof they own all recordings he did while signed by them, then they have all of the negotiating power. There’s no incentive to cut Impulse a deal from their perspective. It’s gonna be interesting to see it all play out and hoping that it can get resolved!

I think they will still have to repress it or reprint the sleeves to reflect who actually owns it and the right copyright. The other label could choose to sell them the recording if they can prove they should actually own it. But it’s a massive screwup any way you slice it. If the label suing has proof they own all recordings he did while signed by them, then they have all of the negotiating power. There’s no incentive to cut Impulse a deal from their perspective. It’s gonna be interesting to see it all play out and hoping that it can get resolved!
Not that it has anything to do with taking care of the proper licensing for this record. But it is interesting see how Blue Note and Impluse are handling the resurgent interest in vinyl and jazz, since both are owned by UMG. Blue Note has really hit it out of the park with the Tone Poet series and the BN80 series. Good quality presses at reasonable prices, with a deep roster of reissued titles.

Impulse on the other hand is playing to cautious and timid. They did a small batch of reissue titles last year that I don't think were as well pressed as the BN80 titles but still sound nice. They are doing a few more reissues this year that again are more high profile but nothing as extensive as Blue Note.

Not that it has anything to do with taking care of the proper licensing for this record. But it is interesting see how Blue Note and Impluse are handling the resurgent interest in vinyl and jazz, since both are owned by UMG. Blue Note has really hit it out of the park with the Tone Poet series and the BN80 series. Good quality presses at reasonable prices, with a deep roster of reissued titles.

Impulse on the other hand is playing to cautious and timid. They did a small batch of reissue titles last year that I don't think were as well pressed as the BN80 titles but still sound nice. They are doing a few more reissues this year that again are more high profile but nothing as extensive as Blue Note.
I wonder if Impulse has handed out some weird licensing agreements in the past...they are starting that series with Acoustic Sounds though that’s in line with the TPs. With the BN80s and TPs, Blue Note is reaching into their vaults for a lot of that stuff. It’s not all super popular albums. It will be interesting to see what happens when Music Matters’ licenses expire on all of those huge titles...

I got a little pissy at CS this morning:

Hi,

I ordered two Fiona Apple records a
- fetch the bolt cutters and when the pawn - back in April and May respectively. I reached out a few weeks ago as I saw that other people were getting their copies, and was told that they would ship with my August records. Well, my August records have shipped now, and surprise surprise, these records have not. I have question and a comment:

Question: when will these records ship? You have had my money for months.

Comment: please pass this on to your management team. Vinyl Me Please is one of the worst run companies I have ever done business with. Constant shipping issues, problems with your website, unbelievably slow customer service responses... the last straw for me was the jacking of membership prices - which I discovered by hearing about it from other customers before receiving any communication from you. These large increases in prices when you can’t even take orders correctly or fulfill them is the last straw. I’ve cancelled all my subscriptions with you and now I just want the records I’ve ordered.

Reading the other comments, others seem to back this up and that the pressing looks pretty bad and nothing like the mock up.
Of course, this all means nothing until we see pictures but enough people are posting that it would suggest it's unfortunately reality
I was hoping that maybe Nelson was holding up shipping of my Tyner order from July, but obviously not if others are getting it and already having replacements sent out to them. Incompetent tools. :mad:

RE : Monk . Palo Alto
Obviously, if anyone else in Europe sees any of these accidentally shipped copies...buy them all up.

The cat is out of the bag but worth mentioning. ;)

BEWARE TO ALL GETTING REFUNDS FROM VMP:

It is important to follow up to ensure the funds were actually reversed or sent back to your payment method. On more than one occasion I’ve been told I was refunded when in actuality I never was.

They’ll tell you that it may take up to 7 days to notice the funds, and that may be true but I use PayPal for everything and when they DO get it right it hits back into my account immediately.

Got my Fiona "When the Pawn..." today, and FTBC was in the same package. I figured it would be that way, since both showed shipped but only had a tracking number for WTP.

One order left outstanding (Art Blakey), then I can FINALLY be done with the VMP debacle for good.

Of course, in true VMP fashion, the FTBC is creased to hell on the outside, but alas...

I got a little pissy at CS this morning:

Hi,

I ordered two Fiona Apple records a
- fetch the bolt cutters and when the pawn - back in April and May respectively. I reached out a few weeks ago as I saw that other people were getting their copies, and was told that they would ship with my August records. Well, my August records have shipped now, and surprise surprise, these records have not. I have question and a comment:

Question: when will these records ship? You have had my money for months.

Comment: please pass this on to your management team. Vinyl Me Please is one of the worst run companies I have ever done business with. Constant shipping issues, problems with your website, unbelievably slow customer service responses... the last straw for me was the jacking of membership prices - which I discovered by hearing about it from other customers before receiving any communication from you. These large increases in prices when you can’t even take orders correctly or fulfill them is the last straw. I’ve cancelled all my subscriptions with you and now I just want the records I’ve ordered.

Was told the same thing and still haven't even gotten my August records sent out, let alone the 5 other "in stock" records I'm waiting on including Fiona.
I may be one of the only people overall not furious about the price hike, but they are going to lose me over these continued issues. I have a very basic fair expectation of a Vinyl Subscription service, and that's to get me the records I order in reasonable time and in good condition. They have been failing at this for years, with continued promises to improve it which I don't think will ever actually come. They clearly have no communication with their fulfillment center at all.

Too funny. They just posted on IG about their rising and the first comment right afterward was from a hipster looking young kid with a private account based in Denver speaking the clubs praises. Already suspicious. But then it was immediately “pinned” by the VMP account and their name on LinkedIn pulls up a profile for a “social media relations intern”! Right away I called them out for manipulating public opinion and their comment was immediately deleted. NO MORALS WITH THE COMPANY.

Last edited:

Also forgot that the universal fires likely destroyed a ton of the Impulse catalogue’s master tapes so that could also be a big factor at play...

I have a very basic fair expectation of a Vinyl Subscription service, and that's to get me the records I order in reasonable time and in good condition. They have been failing at this for years, with continued promises to improve it which I don't think will ever actually come.
And herein lies the issue...a lot of us have stayed, or left and come back when some deal or big title is re-issued...which is why they keep getting away with it. Not calling you out in particular as I am guilty of this too. If they aren’t losing a lot of subscribers or know they can get us back there’s no reason in their mind to invest in fixing logistics and CS. Think of all the times Pauly has said they are just about caught up on CS inquiries so they don’t need to hire more CS reps...

Back