Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Goddamn, I teared up on Argentina episode
Binge watching all of Ugly Delicious at the start of lockdown was a major quarantine highlight. Also can never get enough of Chefs Table. Need to keep moving through Street Food, on the Asia version currently! It’s great but heavy if you want to binge it. Bums me out seeing how these people making this incredible food in slums for thousands of people a day get paid very little for their service :/.

Sorry to do a lot of tagging, but I was excited reading this VMP store thread for the first time in a long time thanks to you guys ❤

I am also interested in embarking on a trip to Japan (most likely staying in Tokyo, Kyoto, or another of the major cities for the entire visit) in the future. I have never been outside of the US. I took Japanese for three years in high school (now no longer offered sadly), and learned some more from a friend, and I can still speak at a conversational level. I'm mostly familiar with the culture and norms, but I'm still expecting full culture shock upon arrival at Narita Airport.

For those I've tagged, what would you say is a reasonable daily budget for an enjoyable trip, assuming that I'd have KONBINI food for 2/3 meals a day? Is it best to stick to a "time limit" for activities or is best to enjoy at one's own pace? I have plenty set aside for my first international trip, so I'm not too worried about overspending.

Thank you again for all of the valuable information presented so far, everyone! :)
Hotels are expensive; food is very affordable, as Japan is a restaurant-intensive culture. I'm talking 800 yen for the best oyakodon I've ever had + a side of cold soba and some pickles. A 12 piece nigirizushi meal at Sushi Dai, easily the best sushi I've ever eaten, was ~$40. Et cetera.

I recommend making a list of things you want to do, but not rushing through them. You'll never do all of it. Kyoto alone could keep me occupied for months, not to mention Tokyo.

You'll want to check the exchange rates before going, but last time I was there, dollars had a slight advantage over yen (like 110 yen to the dollar), so aside from lodgings, everything was quite reasonable. If you're not a starving college student (like I was the first time I went), you'll get by fine.
Pretty much everything @kvetcha said.

In addition, the first part of the culture shock when you touch down will be the sound of your own voice. You'll realize that you, as an American speak VERY LOUDLY whether you knew it or not. You'll quickly adjust your average speaking volume and when you touch back down in the US you'll experience some reverse culture shock as you wonder why tf everyone is yelling all the time. LOL

Having conversational Japanese at your disposal will make many things very enjoyable for you. Average conversations with curious locals will go much more smoothly. I really wish I understood everything of what my new Yakuza friend was saying when I went drinking with him in Golden Gai. We compared tattoos and he seemed pleased but really I only caught maybe every fourth thing he said, at best.

As far as a daily budget, it will fluctuate a bit depending on the city and the types of things you like to do. As Kvetcha said, food is mostly very affordable and I you wouldn't need to budget more than $40-$50 per person per day if you wanted a nice dinner at the end of every day. You COULD go to the super fancy restaurants and spend a mint but really, why would you? All the best spots are so affordable you'll wonder how you ever spent $20 on a freakin' burger over here. I would say, if you are a foodie at all look up one of the high-end restaurants and make reservations if you can. But really, only do that once. The level and quality of food in pretty much all of Japan is breathtaking.

In terms of spending, well that's going to fluctuate quite a bit depending on your preference. I had originally budgeted $200 per day for shopping, entry into places, etc. The first week of the first trip I blew past that budgeted amount by a wide margin. But that was because I was like a kid in a candy store. By week 2 I was staying well below that to see the things I wanted to see. And by week 3 (I was in rural Japan) that budgeted amount seemed laughable. I barely spent money that last week. So really, what are some of the things you'll want to do while there?

USPS has been brutal recently (I think by design, unfortunately). My shipment from VMP last month came into the DC distribution center, went north to Baltimore, then just sat for 2 weeks, before going up to NY, then back to DC and finally to me in Northern VA. I ordered inner sleeves from Sleeve City and got a shipping notification on July 27th and the tracking has said "Shipping Label Created" since then. I figure between VMP delays and USPS, I probably won't see BVSC for months.

In the case of that second one, you may want to follow up with Sleeve City, as it’s possible they might not have even physically shipped it out yet.

Hotels are expensive; food is very affordable, as Japan is a restaurant-intensive culture. I'm talking 800 yen for the best oyakodon I've ever had + a side of cold soba and some pickles. A 12 piece nigirizushi meal at Sushi Dai, easily the best sushi I've ever eaten, was ~$40. Et cetera.

I recommend making a list of things you want to do, but not rushing through them. You'll never do all of it. Kyoto alone could keep me occupied for months, not to mention Tokyo.

You'll want to check the exchange rates before going, but last time I was there, dollars had a slight advantage over yen (like 110 yen to the dollar), so aside from lodgings, everything was quite reasonable. If you're not a starving college student (like I was the first time I went), you'll get by fine.

I was just thinking that lodging would be the main dilemma here, but I am seeing that a Ryokan and a CAPSULE HOTEL could be cheaper alternatives? I will look into those.

Damn, I LOVE Oyakodon (my dad moreso)! That amount of food is a bargain at the current exchange rate (800¥ -> $7.50). I will also look at other similarly priced options.

My list of activities so far is not too ambitious (about 10 across a 10-14 day trip) in and possibly around Tokyo. I do know that a lot of walking is involved as the primary method of transportation, so that is something I am prepared for.

I've set aside my tax return from this year as well as most of my first paycheck after my salary increase from this year for the trip, so I'm thinking that I'll have plenty to spare. I am planning on traveling with my father + aunt + uncle + (if he is able) younger brother, and my aunt and uncle go to Japan every year, so I am confident we will have a solid guide (and they do not speak Japanese).

Thank you for your suggestions and advice! :)

Sorry to do a lot of tagging, but I was excited reading this VMP store thread for the first time in a long time thanks to you guys ❤

I am also interested in embarking on a trip to Japan (most likely staying in Tokyo, Kyoto, or another of the major cities for the entire visit) in the future. I have never been outside of the US. I took Japanese for three years in high school (now no longer offered sadly), and learned some more from a friend, and I can still speak at a conversational level. I'm mostly familiar with the culture and norms, but I'm still expecting full culture shock upon arrival at Narita Airport.

For those I've tagged, what would you say is a reasonable daily budget for an enjoyable trip, assuming that I'd have KONBINI food for 2/3 meals a day? Is it best to stick to a "time limit" for activities or is best to enjoy at one's own pace? I have plenty set aside for my first international trip, so I'm not too worried about overspending.

Thank you again for all of the valuable information presented so far, everyone! :)
Oh one more thing that I forgot to mention above. If you're going to be going to/staying in Tokyo, give yourself at least 4-5hours to explore the train station. I know, I know... what? Seriously, they are bigger than our malls over here and have so many amazing things within the stations. Some really great food, cool stores, etc. There are plenty of phone apps that help you navigate walking through the station itself (trust, you'll need them) to find where you're going. This is helpful even if you're not stopping to look at things and just trying to navigate getting off one train, walking up/down 6 floors to find your connecting train and realizing you just spent a solid 35 mins walking and you're still not there yet. In the cities you'll prob do an average of 7-10 miles of walking per day. Get your dancing shoes on!

I was just thinking that lodging would be the main dilemma here, but I am seeing that a Ryokan and a CAPSULE HOTEL could be cheaper alternatives? I will look into those.

Damn, I LOVE Oyakodon (my dad moreso)! That amount of food is a bargain at the current exchange rate (800¥ -> $7.50). I will also look at other similarly priced options.

My list of activities so far is not too ambitious (about 10 across a 10-14 day trip) in and possibly around Tokyo. I do know that a lot of walking is involved as the primary method of transportation, so that is something I am prepared for.

I've set aside my tax return from this year as well as most of my first paycheck after my salary increase from this year for the trip, so I'm thinking that I'll have plenty to spare. I am planning on traveling with my father + aunt + uncle + (if he is able) younger brother, and my aunt and uncle go to Japan every year, so I am confident we will have a solid guide (and they do not speak Japanese).

Thank you for your suggestions and advice! :)

We've done AirBnbs on both trips to Japan. Super affordable. I don't think I would ever do a hotel stay there. We paid somewhere between 30-50 a night for an Airbnb for two weeks and they also included a portable Wi-Fi hotspot so we never needed a SIM card.

If you want any tips feel free to DM me, I do tours to Japan (8 or 15 days) and been doing this for almost 10 years now.

In addition, the first part of the culture shock when you touch down will be the sound of your own voice. You'll realize that you, as an American speak VERY LOUDLY whether you knew it or not. You'll quickly adjust your average speaking volume and when you touch back down in the US you'll experience some reverse culture shock as you wonder why tf everyone is yelling all the time. LOL

Having conversational Japanese at your disposal will make many things very enjoyable for you. Average conversations with curious locals will go much more smoothly. I really wish I understood everything of what my new Yakuza friend was saying when I went drinking with him in Golden Gai. We compared tattoos and he seemed pleased but really I only caught maybe every fourth thing he said, at best.
I went by myself a few years ago before meeting up with friends in Thailand and knew no Japanese at all and I survived although it was quite difficult at times. I had an amazing time though and it was my favorite trip I have ever taken. We were supposed to go to Japan for our honeymoon this year but had to postpone our wedding so now we probably won’t go until 2022...but I’ll be sure to ask y’all for more recommendations when we finally go! I went to Kyoto and Tokyo last time for about 8 days and loved all of it. So much record shopping!!

As far as a daily budget, it will fluctuate a bit depending on the city and the types of things you like to do. As Kvetcha said, food is mostly very affordable and I you wouldn't need to budget more than $40-$50 per person per day if you wanted a nice dinner at the end of every day. You COULD go to the super fancy restaurants and spend a mint but really, why would you? All the best spots are so affordable you'll wonder how you ever spent $20 on a freakin' burger over here. I would say, if you are a foodie at all look up one of the high-end restaurants and make reservations if you can. But really, only do that once. The level and quality of food in pretty much all of Japan is breathtaking.

In terms of spending, well that's going to fluctuate quite a bit depending on your preference. I had originally budgeted $200 per day for shopping, entry into places, etc. The first week of the first trip I blew past that budgeted amount by a wide margin. But that was because I was like a kid in a candy store. By week 2 I was staying well below that to see the things I wanted to see. And by week 3 (I was in rural Japan) that budgeted amount seemed laughable. I barely spent money that last week. So really, what are some of the things you'll want to do while there?

Oh one more thing that I forgot to mention above. If you're going to be going to/staying in Tokyo, give yourself at least 4-5hours to explore the train station. I know, I know... what? Seriously, they are bigger than our malls over here and have so many amazing things within the stations. Some really great food, cool stores, etc. There are plenty of phone apps that help you navigate walking through the station itself (trust, you'll need them) to find where you're going. This is helpful even if you're not stopping to look at things and just trying to navigate getting off one train, walking up/down 6 floors to find your connecting train and realizing you just spent a solid 35 mins walking and you're still not there yet. In the cities you'll prob do an average of 7-10 miles of walking per day. Get your dancing shoes on!

Wow, thank you for all of this! I'm now writing a bunch of notes down, and have your response bookmarked. I will adjust some of my time to exploration of the nearby train station.

Among the list of activities I'd like to engage in (and you will see how modest this is LOL):
  • explorations of temples (ideally at least 2)
  • exploring the Akihabara district
  • checking out the unique vending machines
  • record store excursions (one whole day dedicated for this)
  • relaxing in an Onsen
  • visit the Tsukiji fish market (probably a meal there too)
  • visiting a Japanese arcade (I realize these are fading away slowly)
Yes, $150-250/day was about what I had set aside for the trip. Glad to know that this will be feasible, especially given @kvetcha's Oyakodon experience.

Thank you for a detailed response! :)

If you want any tips feel free to DM me, I do tours to Japan (8 or 15 days) and been doing this for almost 10 years now.

Damn, this is great to know. Thank you for this; I may DM you in months leading up to any planned visit.

Wow, thank you for all of this! I'm now writing a bunch of notes down, and have your response bookmarked. I will adjust some of my time to exploration of the nearby train station.

Among the list of activities I'd like to engage in (and you will see how modest this is LOL):
  • explorations of temples (ideally at least 2)
  • exploring the Akihabara district
  • checking out the unique vending machines
  • record store excursions (one whole day dedicated for this)
  • relaxing in an Onsen
  • visit the Tsukiji fish market (probably a meal there too)
  • visiting a Japanese arcade (I realize these are fading away slowly)
Yes, $150-250/day was about what I had set aside for the trip. Glad to know that this will be feasible, especially given @kvetcha's Oyakodon experience.

Thank you for a detailed response! :)

Damn, this is great to know. Thank you for this; I may DM you in months leading up to any planned visit.

also, GET A RAIL PASS

It’s a miracle of tourism.

Sadly, old Tsukiji fish market was demolished to make way for new train lines for the Olympics (RIP). The new location is considerably more out of the way and less of a tourist destination, or at least that’s what I have heard.

also, GET A RAIL PASS

It’s a miracle of tourism.

Definitely on subsequent trips (I assume you are talking about the Shinkansen?). It seems overwhelming to visit multiple sections of the country on a first trip outside the United States in a limited timeframe. I do know that those bullet trains are on time by the minute, from the conversation I last had with my aunt.

Sadly, old Tsukiji fish market was demolished to make way for new train lines for the Olympics (RIP). The new location is considerably more out of the way and less of a tourist destination, or at least that’s what I have heard.

😥

Definitely on subsequent trips (I assume you are talking about the Shinkansen?). It seems overwhelming to visit multiple sections of the country on a first trip outside the United States in a limited timeframe. I do know that those bullet trains are on time by the minute, from the conversation I last had with my aunt.

😥

You’ll want the Rail Pass either way. Free transit on any JR line trains, Shinkansen or otherwise (except the express Shinkansen). You’ll use it to get from Narita to Tokyo, between all your major destinations, and almost anywhere within Tokyo. It’s a lifesaver, a massive bargain, and only available to tourists.

it feels like having a superpower.

more info here: https://www.jrpass.com/

Haven't been following any of the VMP threads. We know what "Essentials" is. Any other ideas for Classics or RHH?

You’ll want the Rail Pass either way. Free transit on any JR line trains, Shinkansen or otherwise (except the express Shinkansen). You’ll use it to get from Narita to Tokyo, between all your major destinations, and almost anywhere within Tokyo. It’s a lifesaver, a massive bargain, and only available to tourists.

it feels like having a superpower.

more info here: Japan Rail Pass | Explore Japan by train | JRPass.com

We got the rail pass on our first trip because we were taking advantage of the Shinkansen, going from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto but didn't get one on our second trip because I didn't feel like it was necessary, since we mostly stayed in the Tokyo area. I think it was about $250 a week the first fime we got it and that was 2014.

We got the rail pass on our first trip because we were taking advantage of the Shinkansen, going from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto but didn't get one on our second trip because I didn't feel like it was necessary, since we mostly stayed in the Tokyo area. I think it was about $250 a week the first fime we got it and that was 2014.

Yeah, two Shinkansen trips essentially pay for it. And the Shinkansen as an experience is not to be missed!

Yeah, two Shinkansen trips essentially pay for it. And the Shinkansen as an experience is not to be missed!

It looks to be ~$278/week now. 😬
I will further consider this, based on both of your comments/feedback. As I understand it, they are engineered so that when the train is running on full speed, you don't feel any forces (G force of 1)?

It looks to be ~$278/week now. 😬
I will further consider this, based on both of your comments/feedback. As I understand it, they are engineered so that when the train is running on full speed, you don't feel any forces (G force of 1)?

The shinkansen is the best ride I've ever hopped into, you can buy food from the Konbinini and eat on the train. Great when you get one of the first trains and grab a bite to eat breakfast.

Also, with the JR pass you can reserve a seat but you can also get into one of the unreserved cars.

Back