Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

It looks to be ~$278/week now. 😬
I will further consider this, based on both of your comments/feedback. As I understand it, they are engineered so that when the train is running on full speed, you don't feel any forces (G force of 1)?

The Shinkansen is wild. Once it’s up to speed you’re literally gliding at 200mph, watching the scenery cruise by, smooth as glass. It makes every other train feel like a relic.

Tokyo to Osaka in 3 hours. Tokyo to Kyoto in 2 hours. Kyoto to Nara in 20 minutes.

My 3 month sub just renewed this month with Classics as the main track. Swapped for BVSClub and plan on swapping the same for Spiritualized next month. Hopefully there isn't any classic can't miss RHH to swap for in my last month or so before October because I am DONE. No f'n way I am spending that extra $33 for an add on PLUS $41 sub when I can support other labels/bands.

* Supported VMP since spring 2015 and only thing that has been holding me on has been the grandfathered in 3 month prices and add-ons.

Filipino food has finally started to take off here in LA (which has a huge population, including my in-laws) and there are really good restaurants from take out to fairly high end. I know NYC has some good ones as well and Bad Saint in D.C. is supposed to be stellar.

The best food I had in the Philippines was on a 4 day boat trip which we camped on small deserted islands and the crew cooked for us. It was all so fresh, light, and delicious which was a surprise for me because most Filipino food I had tasted was pretty heavy.
That sounds amazing. Like many countries, the things you see/eat/hear from locals is much different from tourist spots. Last year myself, girlfriend, and our group of friends went on holiday there. We stayed at her family's place for a week then went island hopping. Both were fantastic but very different in terms of the cultural side. The week with her family certainly provided a more authentic experience. Everytime I have been there has been with her family, so it was quite a shock to experience the tourist side of the country.

Loving the foodie discussion. Surprised that Peru hasn't had a mention yet - it's gastronomic paradise there. Lots of Peruvian/Asian fusion going on. Personal favourite dishes are Aji de Gallina, Lomo Saltado, Ceviche & Papas a la Huancaína. There are over 3500 variations of potato in Peru and they are super proud of their cuisine. The aji amarillo peppers that they use are absolutely delicious and I have resorted to importing them into Scotland to make dishes like Aji de Gallina.

Also a shout out for Basque Country - give me pintxos and Basque cider any day of the week. I'm currently cooking Fabada Asturiana (morcilla, chorizo, pork belly & white bean stew - this is an Asturian dish, not Basque) and gluten free croquetas de jamon from scratch (I'm an actual celiac). My wife and I travelled through Bilbao, Logrono, Vitoria-Gastiez, Pamplona & San Sebastian and I swear I must've gained 20 pounds on that trip. We queued up for Bar Nestor in San Sebastian and they only serve 4 items - tortilla (this is limited and people fight to get their name on the list for a slice), ensalada de tomate, pimientos de padrón, txuleta (steak the side of your torso). 100% worth it.

Loving the foodie discussion. Surprised that Peru hasn't had a mention yet - it's gastronomic paradise there. Lots of Peruvian/Asian fusion going on. Personal favourite dishes are Aji de Gallina, Lomo Saltado, Ceviche & Papas a la Huancaína. There are over 3500 variations of potato in Peru and they are super proud of their cuisine. The aji amarillo peppers that they use are absolutely delicious and I have resorted to importing them into Scotland to make dishes like Aji de Gallina.

Also a shout out for Basque Country - give me pintxos and Basque cider any day of the week. I'm currently cooking Fabada Asturiana (morcilla, chorizo, pork belly & white bean stew - this is an Asturian dish, not Basque) and gluten free croquetas de jamon from scratch (I'm an actual celiac). My wife and I travelled through Bilbao, Logrono, Vitoria-Gastiez, Pamplona & San Sebastian and I swear I must've gained 20 pounds on that trip. We queued up for Bar Nestor in San Sebastian and they only serve 4 items - tortilla (this is limited and people fight to get their name on the list for a slice), ensalada de tomate, pimientos de padrón, txuleta (steak the side of your torso). 100% worth it.

The best food I had in Florida was Peruvian at Pollos e Jarras. The waiters were super cool, asking us how was the food and sharing a bit of Peruvian gastronomy with us. of course, food was delicious, we took two different ceviche and both were excellent, we also discovered cancha corn, a tasteful variety of corn I never heard about before.

From Basque Country I strongly recommend to go with an Axoa and end with Basque cake (with a touch of Patxaran of course) <3

Last edited:
BTW, did anyone see the new Netflix "Street Food" season on Latin America? All countries had some killer things, but man, I was drooling throughout the Salvador da Bahia episode. I almost cried when the lady showed that fish stew with palm oil and coconut milk.
I lived in São Paulo for 6 years and the Brazilian food was amazing. That stew is called moqueca. We used to have a restaurant that served different variations of it around the corner from us. Got to be careful with that palm (dende) oil as it can go right through you!!

I lived in São Paulo for 6 years and the Brazilian food was amazing. That stew is called moqueca. We used to have a restaurant that served different variations of it around the corner from us. Got to be careful with that palm (dende) oil as it can go right through you!!

For my money Moqueca Capixaba is the way to go, no dendê oil or coconut milk in it. Much, much easier on the digestive system.

It was on sale on amazon.co.uk yesterday
@agutierrezb posted over on the Jazz Thread about rumours that the Palo Alto Thelonious Monk has been delayed. I have just sleuthed through the Steve Hoffman forum and there's reports that its been delayed indefinitely. I really hope this is incorrect, although Universal Music has confirmed there is a delay and the teaser track has been removed from a few streaming sites......

View attachment 58581

Edit: Amazon pre-orders have had a status change to 'unavailable'.
Edit: Jean Claude from 'If Music' has confirmed its delay and that he hasn't been given a new date yet.
Edit: Jean Claude suspects it could be a licencing issue over manufacture issue.

I believe it was set up as a pre-order, but if you went through it would not allow the purchase. In fact, some of those that pre-ordered from Amazon have received emails to state its due for a 2021 release, but with no firm date. @Poly-Rythmo might be one of the few people in the world to actually have a copy in hand at the moment. If you look at the quote above I marked out a few bits of feedback from shop owners, hoffman thread etc.

I believe it was set up as a pre-order, but if you went through it would not allow the purchase. In fact, some of those that pre-ordered from Amazon have received emails to state its due for a 2021 release, but with no firm date. @Poly-Rythmo might be one of the few people in the world to actually have a copy in hand at the moment. If you look at the quote above I marked out a few bits of feedback from shop owners, hoffman thread etc.
If they removed the tracks from streaming services it's definitely not a manufacturing issue. But about now would be the time for vmp to send out an email for those that bought it

If they removed the tracks from streaming services it's definitely not a manufacturing issue. But about now would be the time for vmp to send out an email for those that bought it
Its confirmed to be a licence issue. The records (standard pressing) has already been pressed and sent to stores, in fact some of them managed to be sold. @Poly-Rythmo has a copy and mentioned that its a fantastic package.

Its confirmed to be a licence issue. The records (standard pressing) has already been pressed and sent to stores, in fact some of them managed to be sold. @Poly-Rythmo has a copy and mentioned that its a fantastic package.
VMP claimed that it should be settled by September but the guy who recorded the session said in an interview that with the rights issues, he doesn’t think the album may ever come out now, or if it does, it won’t get settled anytime soon. My guess is that whatever label Monk was on at the time says they own the rights to the music on it.

I have a copy coming to me from @Poly-Rythmo! His store happened to have 2 copies. Hoping it arrives here safely!

It is a fabulous package, and the music is pretty great too if fairly straightforward at times. Can't quite believe my local had two copies for sale - and didn't get in touch with me again as I'm sure they've figured out now they shouldn't have sold it. @MikeH - I'm hoping it arrives v soon. Seemed to leave Norway on Aug 4. And let's hope for everyone else that the rights issues get sorted out quickly.

PA.jpg

VMP claimed that it should be settled by September but the guy who recorded the session said in an interview that with the rights issues, he doesn’t think the album may ever come out now, or if it does, it won’t get settled anytime soon. My guess is that whatever label Monk was on at the time says they own the rights to the music on it.

I have a copy coming to me from @Poly-Rythmo! His store happened to have 2 copies. Hoping it arrives here safely!
That'll be interesting if it gets totally stopped but a few copies make it out into the wild. I wonder how much that price will be driven up depending on how many copies actually get into the hands of people.

It reminds me of the original release of Prince's Black Album and how the release got stopped but some copies made it to fans. Heck, even though there eventually ended up being an official release (1994, I believe) it was very limited - I have the official releases on CD & vinyl and paid a pretty penny for both.

It will be interesting to see what people would pay for this if it never gets widely released, and interesting to see how many copies do make it to peoples' collections.

It is a fabulous package, and the music is pretty great too if fairly straightforward at times. Can't quite believe my local had two copies for sale - and didn't get in touch with me again as I'm sure they've figured out now they shouldn't have sold it. @MikeH - I'm hoping it arrives v soon. Seemed to leave Norway on Aug 4. And let's hope for everyone else that the rights issues get sorted out quickly.

View attachment 61327
But...if they had gotten in touch with you would you have returned it?

I don't think there would be any repercussions for a record store, given that at the time they would be operating in the right. That packaging does look cool.

Back