Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

How did it ended with the De La Soul vs Tommy Boy conflict when VMP released those exclusive?
What are you talking about specifically? I remember the Tommy Boy conflict being mentioned when De La Soul’s 3 Feet High & Rising was an Essentials ROTM but can’t remember what VMP said?

Good to see them both donating directly and committing to improving things internally within their own company. That’s why moments like this are important and why voices should be raised in unison. It‘s not just the police helping to keep systemic racism an issue. Other entities can, and should, be doing better.

I’m so proud of you VMP! I’m so happy they closed their store for the week and for their generous donation! I loved their overall message, especially the last paragraph!

I’m so happy I support VMP! I love them dearly and knew they would come through with such a great statement! ♥

They’ve shut their store for a day, they won’t add any new product for a week.

I don’t blame VMP for staying silent. These protests may have started peacefully but have gotten increasingly violent. Stores are being burned and looted Cops are being hit with bottles and rocks . At this point it’s only a matter of time before we all witness cops being gunned down on a city street on live TV. At the end of the day they’re just a business and any stance they take will cost them customers.
Cool, so stay silent and collect your check, got it.

It could really just go without saying that racism and murdering unarmed people is wrong, but maybe they’ll put it in writing for you guys. I just automatically assume most people think that stuff is wrong and don’t need my inbox cluttered with every company’s official response .
I wanted to say something and then I'll invite you all to the BLM thread.

If it did really go without saying, do you think we'd be in this crisis right now?

I also see so many racist people throughout all aspects of my life. So, I do think it needs to be stated multiple times. So many times by so many people.

I'm very happy VMP took it seriously. Thank you for allowing me to hijack the thread for a bit. Please continue to do the work, hold others accountable, have the conversations, donate, etc. And some good discussion is happening here, please join us.

You don't think it's appropriate for a company that makes a huge percentage of its money off black people to comment?
Not what I said, I said they are TERRIBLE at communication and it was likely delayed because they "oversold it". Looks like I was 100% right. Better late than never I guess.

You don't think it's appropriate for a company that makes a huge percentage of its money off black people to comment?

I don't think companies should throw around statements either just for the sake of it if they aren't willing to get down in the trenches and do more than a #BlackLivesMatter or #ICantBreathe tweet. I get that this raises awareness as well but at the same time I can't help but feel it's just a corporation trying to profit off the back of an earnest movement and id rather they just stay out of it if they can't provide tangible actions.

Just for the record, while the most recent cases involved a black person, and most of the cases involve black people - the larger issue for me is abuse of authority and prejudice from law enforcement especially towards anyone outside the obvious social bracket. I'm a visible minority and can tell you, I shit my pants whenever I have to deal with the police and I know exactly how I'm going to be perceived, and how quickly that situation can turn badly. This is my experience from living for extending periods in 3 countries - Canada, USA and Germany. The prejudice is the same even in the more liberal countries, luckily the cops aren't as trigger happy.

I can't stand the company VMP has become but I'm ok with them not taking a stance here.

I don't think companies should throw around statements either just for the sake of it if they aren't willing to get down in the trenches and do more than a #BlackLivesMatter or #ICantBreathe tweet. I get that this raises awareness as well but at the same time I can't help but feel it's just a corporation trying to profit off the back of an earnest movement and id rather they just stay out of it if they can't provide tangible actions.

Just for the record, while the most recent cases involved a black person, and most of the cases involve black people - the larger issue for me is abuse of authority and prejudice from law enforcement especially towards anyone outside the obvious social bracket. I'm a visible minority and can tell you, I shit my pants whenever I have to deal with the police and I know exactly how I'm going to be perceived, and how quickly that situation can turn badly. This is my experience from living for extending periods in 3 countries - Canada, USA and Germany. The prejudice is the same even in the more liberal countries, luckily the cops aren't as trigger happy.

I can't stand the company VMP has become but I'm ok with them not taking a stance here.
Bingo, most companies making a "statement" IMO are doing it to boost profits. Pure selfish reasons.

Bingo, most companies making a "statement" IMO are doing it to boost profits. Pure selfish reasons.
well that’s interesting. Could you back up your assertion with some of examples or proof?

And you know what? I don’t care what their motives are. We need these words on everyone’s lips. We need this signal boosted, the message needs to be ubiquitous.

Ok maybe I'll backtrack a bit here as I should be less sceptical - im ok with companies that make a statement or try to raise awareness, but I'm also ok if there are those that don't get involved.

More concerning would be those that go the Chick-fil-A route and come out to make a statement supporting the oppression.

You guys I’m probably in the top 5 biggest VMP haters here but there’s some people bugging out. If they don’t make a statement then it’s profit driven, when they do then it’s profit driven. Man, they went well above most companies with their statement, and even if I do have doubts about their follow through with donations after running promos without winners, or if their was a winner it was a newly created Instagram bot account, and also promising to do something about the Tommy Boy thing without ever actually doing anything. You know, I really do think what they’re saying is genuine, but if it’s not then it’s still more exposure and more narrative and more awareness... that’s not a bad thing.

well that’s interesting. Could you back up your assertion with some of examples or proof?

And you know what? I don’t care what their motives are. We need these words on everyone’s lips. We need this signal boosted, the message needs to be ubiquitous.
Yes, just pick any of the companies making an IG/Facebook post today without actually doing anything other than make a post. VMP actually did something.

Apparently their CS is not answering neither, for a week, more or less, probably more than less.

think i'll just go ahead and file a paypal claim on the stuff i ordered in april that they haven't shipped or given me a real response on. i'll donate that money, that will inevitably be returned to me, to a worthy cause.

Yes, just pick any of the companies making an IG/Facebook post today without actually doing anything other than make a post. VMP actually did something.
Yes, VMP stepped up. That’s great.

As for the other companies you’re referring to.... saying something is better than saying nothing. Doing something is better than saying something. Whatever motivates words and actions, they are needed right now. I’m not going to shit on anyone who speaks out against racism and oppression.

Good they are donating some cash. As long as they follow through on that (show receipts) that's awesome.

I'm more interested in how they follow through on the rest of their statement. How will black artists be a part of their process? What will VMP do to address these inequities in the vinyl business / in the music industry? Will any of the people who purchase their products hold them accountable for their actions? Will anybody care about any of this in a month?

I wonder if @Teeeee hadn't posted anything if they would've done anything? It's not important but it's hard not to be suspicious.

Yes they are a company and as Milton Friedman so eloquently stated one of the greatest cop-outs of the 20th century "the business of business is business," but isn't there an opportunity right now to do better than that cop-out... to be better than that cop-out?

I hope VMP and the rest of the music industry look at themselves in the mirror, as they state they will, and they become the allys to the art and the people who create that they claim to be.

Last edited:
Back