Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I mean if you translate that into Nathanese it’s a a pretty “meh” assessment on his part.
Stop it! 🙊🙈😩😉🙃

The next three months for ROTM’s are outstanding!!! Also, I swapped Sam Hunt (an extremely disappointing pick) for Merle Haggard & The Strangers, which I’m excited for! October although it’s a disappointing month, is going to be an audiophile month! I’m sure all three ROTM’s are going to end up getting a lot of spins (Grizzly Bear, Teddy Pendergrass and Merle Haggard & The Strangers)! 😃

8/10 on the Nathan scale is like a 6 for the rest of us.
No way, I’m actually very critical! I haven’t gotten every Classics ROTM and only have opted 6 out of 10 R&HH ROTM’s so far! Ive skipped four R&HH ROTM’s and hip-hop is my favourite genre!

I think it’s fair to say, although still subjective, that the Grizzly Bear and Teddy Pendergrass albums are an 8/10 as they are great and were highlights in both those artists’/band’s discography!

Last edited:
No way, I’m actually very critical!
My man! You excel at a lot of things. Criticism....well you provide a lot of critiques. But they're seldom critical. Case in point: describing RZA as having a unique monotone voice.

That would be like if a woman asked how she looked in the dress and you said the stitch work looked nice.

Also the next 3 months are kinda doo doo. But honestly VMP is pretty doo doo these days. I could've made it through the 3 months happily....Grizzly to Clipse to Meters. But with all issues they're not appealing enough to stick with this shit sandwich. In this case, the nice picks VMP gets are the tasty bread. The actual pressings are the doo doo ya really sink your teeth into. I think someone needs to make an Urban Dictionary entry for "VMP treatment". Let's use it in a sentence: "My date and I were getting hot and heavy and they asked for the VMP treatment. So I gave them a Cleveland Steamer."

No way, I’m actually very critical! I haven’t gotten every Classics ROTM and only have opted 6 out of 10 R&HH ROTM’s so far! Ive skipped four R&HH ROTM’s and hip-hop is my favourite genre!

I think it’s fair to say, although still subjective, that the Grizzly Bear and Teddy Pendergrass albums are an 8/10 as they are great and were highlights in both those artists’/band’s discography!
@NathanRicaud you love everything, your rating system starts at love and ends with love, so we need to rationalise it using the Ricaud Rating System (RRS) so we can better understand what you really think.

Just teasing ya a bit. I’m personally underwhelmed by the picks for the next 3 months. Looking forward to maybe 2 or 3 of the releases out of 12. And that’s fine. I subbed for 3 months and will get at least 3 titles I wanted (Lee Morgan, Johnny Cash and Freddie King) so it could be worse. I’ve just been way more interested in titles that other people on here have suggested which is why I love this place. I might eventually pick up Grizzly Bear in a swap in my last month if reviews are good.

The price hike was probably a good thing for me because after the bridge deal, it made me really consider what albums they pressed that I wanted. I used to add on stuff that I was vaguely interested in just because a swap was only $23. $33 is a much harder sell for me especially with all the pressing issues. I’ll be back out after next month for the foreseeable future.

But I admire you’re optimism in trying to find bars of gold amongst piles of dog shit.
Oh my! That is so savage Rowan! 😂👀😳

But it’s not like i care because I can’t imagine you really caring for any mainstream R&B album from the 2000’s or any coke rap albums that has ever existed! 💯

🤯❗️But seriously, you think The Meters’ Rejuvenation and Freddie King’s My Feeling For The Blues Is dog shit….❗🤯

Oh my! That is so savage Rowan! 😂👀😳

But it’s not like i care because I can’t imagine you really caring for any mainstream R&B album from the 2000’s or any coke rap albums that has ever existed! 💯

🤯❗️But seriously, you think The Meters’ Rejuvenation and Freddie King’s My Feeling For The Blues Is dog shit….❗🤯
I’m only interested in Gram and Freddie. 2/12 albums is one of the worst 3 month stretches I can remember for me. Usually I like at least two choices each month.

Good for @NathanRicaud again. Nothing wrong with seeing someone excited for VMPs ROTMs in a VMP thread. Honestly, their curation (or almost any subscription) is best for people with wide ranging tastes in music.
I'm also pretty psyched for all the announcements. The only one I'm really considering swapping is Grizzly Bear, but I like what I've heard and it may be a solid grower.

Good for @NathanRicaud again. Nothing wrong with seeing someone excited for VMPs ROTMs in a VMP thread. Honestly, their curation (or almost any subscription) is best for people with wide ranging tastes in music.
I'm also pretty psyched for all the announcements. The only one I'm really considering swapping is Grizzly Bear, but I like what I've heard and it may be a solid grower.

Provided that you have zero interest in the late 70s and the entire 80s and 90s, only like indie music from 2006 and 2009 and have very little interest in non American music.

Honestly, their curation (or almost any subscription) is best for people with wide ranging tastes in music.
I dunno...I have VERY wide ranging tastes in music. I just don't need every mediocre title they put out on vinyl for the price they charge. I think it's great that @NathanRicaud gets excited about the titles. When VMP gets it right, they really get it right in my opinion. They have pressed quite a lot of titles that I was glad they introduced me to. Sometimes I buy their pressings, other times I seek out other copies or just listen to them on streaming a lot.

I like the Meters. But do I need their 4th or 5th best album on vinyl for $35+? Classics is still the best track by far for me but even that track has releases that I don't get excited about.

As for the Grizzly Bear--that album rules. I think it's a good record for autumn -- I'm hoping that GZ doesn't screw it up. I have a feeling that it might be in the store/swaps for a bit if every other 2006-2010 indie release they have done is any indication so you could always swap it for credit for now and change picking it up later if you are still undecided.

Provided that you have zero interest in the late 70s and the entire 80s and 90s, only like indie music from 2006 and 2009 and have very little interest in non American music.

Agree to disagree since I don't fit that description at all and have been very happy with my membership (curation wise).

I dunno...I have VERY wide ranging tastes in music. I just don't need every mediocre title they put out on vinyl for the price they charge. I think it's great that @NathanRicaud gets excited about the titles. When VMP gets it right, they really get it right in my opinion. They have pressed quite a lot of titles that I was glad they introduced me to. Sometimes I buy their pressings, other times I seek out other copies or just listen to them on streaming a lot.

I like the Meters. But do I need their 4th or 5th best album on vinyl for $35+? Classics is still the best track by far for me but even that track has releases that I don't get excited about.

As for the Grizzly Bear--that album rules. I think it's a good record for autumn -- I'm hoping that GZ doesn't screw it up. I have a feeling that it might be in the store/swaps for a bit if every other 2006-2010 indie release they have done is any indication so you could always swap it for credit for now and change picking it up later if you are still undecided.

Don't get me wrong I get the price argument. But it's a curation service, they have 48 titles per year. At a certain point, if you're disappointed in the vast majority of their picks, then it's probably just not the service for you.
I have a super diverse taste in music (honestly way too diverse) and between that and my job taking up so much time, I don't have quite as much time for my own music discovery so I really enjoy their picks and they have introduced me to many many many albums I wouldnt have listened to otherwise. I think this service/curation is aimed more to folks like me or more passive folks who just get their album in each month without thinking too much of it.
Folks on this board seem to have a vast knowledge of Music both old and current, as well as much more time to curate their own collections (no hate there, I'm envious of both). But I can't see any ongoing curation service keeping folks completely happy for long.

Agree to disagree since I don't fit that description at all and have been very happy with my membership (curation wise).

I mean they just don’t curate those things and the ratio of American to non American is stark even considering they’re US based. In particular their 80s and punk/post punk blind spot was a running joke in the last forum and nothing has changed! If they’re hitting other areas of your taste then perhaps I can see you being happy and maybe you are just buying that stuff elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong I get the price argument. But it's a curation service, they have 48 titles per year. At a certain point, if you're disappointed in the vast majority of their picks, then it's probably just not the service for you.
I have a super diverse taste in music (honestly way too diverse) and between that and my job taking up so much time, I don't have quite as much time for my own music discovery so I really enjoy their picks and they have introduced me to many many many albums I wouldnt have listened to otherwise. I think this service/curation is aimed more to folks like me or more passive folks who just get their album in each month without thinking too much of it.
Folks on this board seem to have a vast knowledge of Music both old and current, as well as much more time to curate their own collections (no hate there, I'm envious of both). But I can't see any ongoing curation service keeping folks completely happy for long.
Yea--it's definitely not tailored to me anymore. I pop in and out if they release something in Classics I want like Lee Morgan but I don't blindly let them curate music for me. I think their curation just used to be way better + more interesting. Seems like now that they have gotten so big and added so many tracks, they either choose safer picks that they think will sell or are stuck with getting 4th or 5th best albums in a band/artist's discography because labels have wisened up. Sometimes those are still great albums. More often than not, I don't need them on vinyl. Price hike definitely took the wind out of the sails for me and lots of others especially since there has been no tangible benefit for raising the prices. For the price, I can just pick up an AP33 pressing or Speakers Corner, or any number of other well-pressed records and still expand the ol musical horizons.

I'll probably still pick up VMP stuff from time to time. And I'll still stream the albums they choose each month to see if any pique my interest. But I think the fine folks on this forum have been better at recommending music I actually like and want to own physical copies of, along with what pressings are great and available still. I understand that VMP isn't going to please all the people all of the time. And I think you are right that it's more suited for people who have the disposable income but don't have the time to always try to find new music or recommendations on their own.

VMP was a great option for me the past couple of years because I had just got into the hobby and they were pressing a lot of stuff I needed in my collection. But with the price increase, the string of QC issues and needing to be more selective with what gets added to my collection, I’ve been naturally pulling back bit by bit.

I’m in for all three Classics along with Clipse and Gram Parsons (against my better judgment). But I can understand the lukewarm/negative reactions to these next three months. Especially since so many people have been burned with this GZ crap.

Back