Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I mean they just don’t curate those things and the ratio of American to non American is stark even considering they’re US based. In particular their 80s and punk/post punk blind spot was a running joke in the last forum and nothing has changed! If they’re hitting other areas of your taste then perhaps I can see you being happy and maybe you are just buying that stuff elsewhere?

Yeah, I know what I'm going to get at this point from VMP. I'll get my punk/post-punk elsewhere, just like I did most of my Country before they picked it up this year.

The thing is they're never going to make everyone happy, for everyone complaining about them pressing the "4th most popular album of an artist", you then see complaints when the most popular is pressed with "why not choose something that hasnt been pressed in while"?
There are folks who want obscure artists and there are folks who want them pressing Classic Rock every month...

It's impossible to please everyone but for what they are, the hits are far far greater than the misses for me and they have introduced me to alot of music I wasn't familiar with before, which is all I can expect out of a service like this (Curation wise. I in agreement with all in the GZ fucking sucks department)

Yeah, I know what I'm going to get at this point from VMP. I'll get my punk/post-punk elsewhere, just like I did most of my Country before they picked it up this year.

The thing is they're never going to make everyone happy, for everyone complaining about them pressing the "4th most popular album of an artist", you then see complaints when the most popular is pressed with "why not choose something that hasnt been pressed in while"?
There are folks who want obscure artists and there are folks who want them pressing Classic Rock every month...

It's impossible to please everyone but for what they are, the hits are far far greater than the misses for me and they have introduced me to alot of music I wasn't familiar with before, which is all I can expect out of a service like this (Curation wise. I in agreement with all in the GZ fucking sucks department)
Sounds like you are all set then! I am happy you have found a curation service that fits your needs and lifestyle.

Anyone have a feel or idea for when the other tracks might open back up? I'm on Essentials now, but desperately want to switch back to Classics. I don't like my odds of being able to swap for the Classics release next month. Has anyone paid attention to when these tracks open and close in the past?

I suppose it’s more just that you look at it and the people choosing it and I see very little divergence in taste or, particularly, experience. It really feels like a bunch of like minds picking well within their comfort zones. I can see how it as a concept could he so much better with a wider mix of taste and experience and I don’t think it’s invalid or unfair to point that out. The fact that they are happy to remain lazy and complacent within their comfort zone is one of the many reasons I’d only, increasingly rarely, dip in and never want to remain.

Anyone have a feel or idea for when the other tracks might open back up? I'm on Essentials now, but desperately want to switch back to Classics. I don't like my odds of being able to swap for the Classics release next month. Has anyone paid attention to when these tracks open and close in the past?
I was able to add a swap track a few days ago before swaps opened up. It wasn't classics though...but I bet people swap out every month and spots open up during swaps. I went on a few minutes before 12 and was able to swap out essentials add-on for classics if i wanted so you may be okay doing that.

I dunno...I have VERY wide ranging tastes in music. I just don't need every mediocre title they put out on vinyl for the price they charge. I think it's great that @NathanRicaud gets excited about the titles. When VMP gets it right, they really get it right in my opinion. They have pressed quite a lot of titles that I was glad they introduced me to. Sometimes I buy their pressings, other times I seek out other copies or just listen to them on streaming a lot.

I like the Meters. But do I need their 4th or 5th best album on vinyl for $35+? Classics is still the best track by far for me but even that track has releases that I don't get excited about.

As for the Grizzly Bear--that album rules. I think it's a good record for autumn -- I'm hoping that GZ doesn't screw it up. I have a feeling that it might be in the store/swaps for a bit if every other 2006-2010 indie release they have done is any indication so you could always swap it for credit for now and change picking it up later if you are still undecided.
Totally with your thinking for the most part and in the past, I have been repeatedly critical of their penchant for picking B and C tier albums of great artists, but Rejuvenation is essential! Fuck VMP, but don't sleep on that album. You may be able to get an original TML pressing for cheaper.

Genuinely curious to see your Meters ranking and/or if you have any recommendations for attainable good pressings as my vinyl collection of theirs is lacking outside of Rejuvenation and sort of In The Right Place and Tchoupitoulas.

Last edited:
Totally with your thinking for the most part and in the past, I have been repeatedly critical of their penchant for picking B and C tier albums of great artists, but Rejuvenation is essential! Fuck VMP, but don't sleep on that album. You may be able to get an original TML pressing for cheaper.

Genuinely curious to see your Meters ranking and/or if you have any recommendations for attainable good pressings as my vinyl collection of theirs is lacking outside of Rejuvenation and Tchoupitoulas.
I don't think Rejuvenation is a bad album. It's just not my favorite. Kinda depends on the day....but I think Look-Ka Py Py is my favorite of theirs. I also really like their self-titled as well as Struttin'. Rejuvenation is 3rd or 4th favorite for me. I do need to give Rejuvenation another listen but I remember not liking it as much as their others.

As for attainable pressings, sadly don't have too many of their records. I've gone for CD rips of theirs instead. I do have some 45s that are in my jukebox but clean original LPs are hard to find (especially for cheap). For some reason they haven't had their entire discography reissued. The only one that DOES have a solid recent reissue is Rejuvenation, which was done by MOV. That's part of the reason why I'm a little annoyed they chose it over the other titles. You can pick up the MOV for around $25 shipped.

Maybe they will do some of the other titles as exclusives but I think it's probably a stretch...

Thankfully after a night of quiet contemplation I have decided to dump Very Meaty Pizza again. The next 3 Classics are not must haves, I don't want to chance getting gizzed on with the Meters pressing, and I found a new copy of Gram for almost 1/3 the price VMP wants ($23 cdn vs $63Cdn). So there might be a Johnny Cash in the swaps in a few minutes.

Thankfully after a night of quiet contemplation I have decided to dump Very Meaty Pizza again. The next 3 Classics are not must haves, I don't want to chance getting gizzed on with the Meters pressing, and I found a new copy of Gram for almost 1/3 the price VMP wants ($23 cdn vs $63Cdn). So there might be a Johnny Cash in the swaps in a few minutes.
If you want the Meters, can try for the MOV! Not sure prices in CA but it’s fairly cheap stateside

I suppose it’s more just that you look at it and the people choosing it and I see very little divergence in taste or, particularly, experience. It really feels like a bunch of like minds picking well within their comfort zones. I can see how it as a concept could he so much better with a wider mix of taste and experience and I don’t think it’s invalid or unfair to point that out. The fact that they are happy to remain lazy and complacent within their comfort zone is one of the many reasons I’d only, increasingly rarely, dip in and never want to remain.

I mean thats fair but at this point how can you be surprise? Curation is always going to have some subjectivity on the part of the people in charge, thats how taste works. We know what we’re getting. I love Country and I love that theres finally a great Country reissue line but I also know storf has a weak spot for R&B Bro Country. I accept theres going to be maybe 1-2 picks a year I dont love and enjoy the rest. I do think some of the tracks would probably do well with some varied curators but is what it is, overall I really enjoy it.

My man! You excel at a lot of things. Criticism....well you provide a lot of critiques. But they're seldom critical. Case in point: describing RZA as having a unique monotone voice.

That would be like if a woman asked how she looked in the dress and you said the stitch work looked nice.

Also the next 3 months are kinda doo doo. But honestly VMP is pretty doo doo these days. I could've made it through the 3 months happily....Grizzly to Clipse to Meters. But with all issues they're not appealing enough to stick with this shit sandwich. In this case, the nice picks VMP gets are the tasty bread. The actual pressings are the doo doo ya really sink your teeth into. I think someone needs to make an Urban Dictionary entry for "VMP treatment". Let's use it in a sentence: "My date and I were getting hot and heavy and they asked for the VMP treatment. So I gave them a Cleveland Steamer."
Yeah, I totally understand why you feel VMP is very meh these days! I agree that they are less appealing with all the issues that are occuring with their ROTM pressings these days too!

I actually think the Essentials ROTM picks were excellent this year with the R&HH and Classics picks being pretty good overall this year!

And mmmmmm…..I do provide very seldom critiques too! But in person, I feel like I can criticise an album much better!

Back