Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

10% isn't going to cut it. I'm emailing back and saying I want a partial refund or I want the 10% applied to my Anthology Greatful Dead order. What's Matt's email? Matt@vinylmeplease.com?

Email sent. CC'd Matt. Asked for a $20 refund to my card, or $25 in credit, or the 10% off code to retroactively go to my Dead anthology. I have spent/spend too much a year with them to be given a 10% off code that won't cover the difference in price between their false advertised variant. If they say the 10% off code is all they can do I'll do a chargeback. If they were to end my membership over that then the, probably close to $1,000 in outstanding pre-order/membership, money will be welcome in my bank account and go to bandcamp.

open
Just got this email 📧 RE: High Violet
Vinyl Me, Please
Hi there,
We wanted to provide you with an update regarding The National High Violet vinyl. The color/effect of the record was different than what was originally advertised. We apologize for this discrepancy and have made changes to our QA process to prevent this from happening again. We’ve heard from many of you, excited about how this record sounds, and we hope that it will be a valuable part of your collection for a long time.
Here is a 10% discount code towards your next purchase: ETYWM2CBT6QB (one time use, expires Jul 31 at 11:59pm). Please reach out to us at info@vinylmeplease.com if you have any questions.
- VMP Team

I’ll take it. I used the 30 off to begin with so I’m not going to complain too much. Much bigger problems in the world to worry about.

Im legit surprised it took this long to sell out considering it’s monk, it’s on impulse and it’s VMP gimmick Fomo

1500 pressing and $35 for a single record. I was kind of hoping it’d last.

Bummer, because I’d probably have used that 10% off code on it.

I did wishlist it last night so maybe if some people cancel in the next month or so VMP will go down that list one by one.

I did wishlist it last night so maybe if some people cancel in the next month or so VMP will go down that list one by one.
Im praying this happens with Freddie Gibbs x The Alchemist’s “Alfredo” because I need that pinwheel variant! 😍💎😩

I still remember that dropping Monday and as I’m used to VMP doing store drops on Wednesday, I missed out as I slept through! 😴🤷‍♂️

I have a serious question

and am in no way looking down on anyone

if VMP said we aren’t going to do color variants anymore but put more emphasis on licensing/reissuing rarer records (not just a different “version” the artist label or other licensers are doing) but titles totally exclusive to VMP, would you still subscribe?

for me personally I could care less about variants. This is less about the argument that black sounds better, but more about titles that actually are exclusive. And granted, I know not every VMP thing is just a variant. There are some exclusives. I also realize the FOMO gimmick and comic book/baseball variant gimmick is VMP bread and butter so to speak.

But I guess for me color rarity never was a selling point ever. And I’ve been buying vinylsince I was 16 so around 22 years. Sure it looks cool but I just wanted to listen to records

again, if you’re thing is the color variants. That’s cool. More power to you. And again I know more than likely the appeal ofVMP for many is the model they have now

but it would be cool to really be part of a “club” where the focus truly is on the rare or undiscovered

if VMP said we aren’t going to do color variants anymore but put more emphasis on licensing/reissuing rarer records (not just a different “version” the artist label or other licensers are doing) but titles totally exclusive to VMP, would you still subscribe?

for me personally I could care less about variants. This is less about the argument that black sounds better, but more about titles that actually are exclusive. And granted, I know not every VMP thing is just a variant. There are some exclusives. I also realize the FOMO gimmick and comic book/baseball variant gimmick is VMP bread and butter so to speak.

But I guess for me color rarity never was a selling point ever. And I’ve been buying vinylsince I was 16 so around 22 years. Sure it looks cool but I just wanted to listen to records

again, if you’re thing is the color variants. That’s cool. More power to you. And again I know more than likely the appeal ofVMP for many is the model they have now

but it would be cool to really be part of a “club” where the focus truly is on the rare or undiscovered

I think VMP once was thinking about adding "crate digger" as a sub which (if I have understood it correctly) was to be about rare forgotten records. But then they have decided to go for anthologies instead.

While I love the colorful variants and while it has been the way VMP got my attention, I wouldn't mind if they would move into the direction you depict. VMP for me mostly has become a place of music discovery, so I probably would also stay a member if they only offered black vinyl, given I find some records I want to have which I'm sure will be the case. It would be great if they would focus more on reissuing rare records.

I don't think the color variants are what is drawing people here. The lack of exclusivity and evolution toward more and more of a Newbury style model focusing on color variants is one of the main complaints on here.

Look at Classics. There is an endless number of people who have stated that they only stick around for that track and they're always pressed on black.

I don't think the color variants are what is drawing people here. The lack of exclusivity and evolution toward more and more of a Newbury style model focusing on color variants is one of the main complaints on here.

Look at Classics. There is an endless number of people who have stated that they only stick around for that track and they're always pressed on black.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you but I’m not sure I buy into “endless”. I’d bet there are plenty mind you, but to say it’s endless. I can’t at all tell for surewhat the number is. But still...

the draw may not be purely the reason, but color rarely is a big big slice of it. as I said if that’s your thing cool, but combine that with the “rarity” (which taking away the color and sometimes packaging), a lot of these titles aren’t really rare.

Sure there’s a novelty factor in all this and when I owned my own record store 5 years ago a chunk of our clientele was just that.

I think in the end it boils down to really for me and why I’m into, if this is a newbury model , why am I really sticking around

edit: it actually would be interesting if they did a month where every track was non color. I’d imagine the cancellation would not be insignificant

edit 2 re classics: part of the novelty of classics and why it isn’t color is due to vmp trying to keep those re-presses faithful

I got that McCoy record. But that thing is on Discogs with a decent remaster for 20-25 USD new.

I assume another argument to be made is that (and this is obvious) VMP is a curator. And people want to pay for that. I’m not saying that’s neither good or bad, but that’s a reality

Last edited:
open
Just got this email 📧 RE: High Violet
Vinyl Me, Please
Hi there,
We wanted to provide you with an update regarding The National High Violet vinyl. The color/effect of the record was different than what was originally advertised. We apologize for this discrepancy and have made changes to our QA process to prevent this from happening again. We’ve heard from many of you, excited about how this record sounds, and we hope that it will be a valuable part of your collection for a long time.
Here is a 10% discount code towards your next purchase: ETYWM2CBT6QB (one time use, expires Jul 31 at 11:59pm). Please reach out to us at info@vinylmeplease.com if you have any questions.
- VMP Team
This seriously sucks and doesn't cut it IMO. To falsely advertise a good looking product which has other multiple coloured pressings available (and therefore plenty of choices) but then not deliver on that colour is a blatant way to sell an inferior product. To then offer just 10% off a FUTURE product is a slap in the face, they are benefitting twice off of their mistake.

I would completely be cool with this. When I first see a cool coloured pressing I might initially think "thats cool", but after that initial feeling I couldnt care less what it looks like. I would much prefer a detailed liner notes booklet/session photo/etc over colour. The big reason for my VMP Exclusive purchases is that a lot of the time it actually ends up costing less for me to buy it (especially considering free postage) than if I were to purchase a standard pressing here in the uk.

For example, I purchased 'Harold Alexander - Sunshine Man' from VMP for approx £23.50 with the free shipping. I have not been able to find the 2020 pressing here in the UK for pre-order yet BUT I can imagine at its very lowest it would be £20 (more likely £25+) with shipping around the £4 -£4.50 mark. Thats for the standard pressing. The VMP will likely hold its value as well (something I have discovered in the past few weeks whilst having a clear-out of some records I no longer listen to).

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you but I’m not sure I buy into “endless”. I’d bet there are plenty mind you, but to say it’s endless. I can’t at all tell for surewhat the number is. But still...

the draw may not be purely the reason, but color rarely is a big big slice of it. as I said if that’s your thing cool, but combine that with the “rarity” (which taking away the color and sometimes packaging), a lot of these titles aren’t really rare.

Sure there’s a novelty factor in all this and when I owned my own record store 5 years ago a chunk of our clientele was just that.

I think in the end it boils down to really for me and why I’m into, if this is a newbury model , why am I really sticking around

edit: it actually would be interesting if they did a month where every track was non color. I’d imagine the cancellation would not be insignificant

edit 2 re classics: part of the novelty of classics and why it isn’t color is due to vmp trying to keep those re-presses faithful

I got that McCoy record. But that thing is on Discogs with a decent remaster for 20-25 USD new.

I assume another argument to be made is that (and this is obvious) VMP is a curator. And people want to pay for that. I’m not saying that’s neither good or bad, but that’s a reality

Buy into it or don't. You asked a question that read more like a statement and I'm really not sure what you hope to derive from it.

What I know is that I've seen numerous people regularly state that they are sticking around strictly for Classics. This has been consistently happening, at least since the old forum ended over a year ago, when there was a huge influx of cancellations. It's a sentiment that I've seen repeated consistently. So, if there's been a consistent wave of different people expressing this sentiment to me and it hasn't ended, then it doesn't feel like there's an end to it. The rest is semantics.

You mention classics and claim that the "novelty" is that VMP is "trying to keep those re-presses faithful." I'd argue that it has more to do with the quality of those pressings and that, genre-wise, there's a solid overlap with audiophiles, along with the curation of those titles and how that appeals to members who are interested in growing particular areas of their collections that may be lacking, such as jazz or blues, etc.

No matter how you slice it, you're still explaining different non-color reasons that people subscribe, so your claim that color is the main focus and they will leave without it, still crumbles under those examples. If your claim is that everyone just wants novelty, but not you, because you want substance, well... it doesn't really matter how many times you say "no offense," beforehand, you'll still sound somewhat elitist and judgmental in presenting that narrative, especially if people express that they don't feel that way and you respond that you think it's true, anyway.

I'm gonna be straight up with you and say that I don't fully understand the purpose of your questioning, other than you seem to suggest things that work to elevate and set yourself apart by forcing a narrative that I think holds very little weight. You're presenting it like you're asking a question, but if your initial question -- which, again, reads more like a statement, to be honest -- begins to veer off outside of your intended narrative, you force it back into those set parameters. So, you like music for the music. Cool. You believe most other people are collecting it for some superficial reason. Okay. I guess, you keep doing it the "right way" and let all these new jack suckers chase shiny objects like a cat with a laser pointer.

What I know is that I've been watching people complain non-stop about how VMP isn't offering as many true exclusives anymore and how their curation has mostly become variants. Then VMP announces something like Ladies And Gentlemen..., which has nothing but really shitty or very expensive alternatives, and people scream "FUCK! Now I guess I'm sticking around." What kept them here isn't a novelty or a color, but the chance to finally not have to buy some bunk Plain Recordings pressing. Idler Wheel was on black vinyl. When The Pawn? Black vinyl. Tidal? Black vinyl. What artist has crashed the site more than Fiona Apple? It's black vinyl. Is the "novelty" there that it's hard to get?

EVERY single time the records of the month are announced, people are complaining about the current availability and accessibility of what they've selected. More than that, the minute the guessing even begins, I watch the speculation filled with frustration about how something better not be one thing or another that's readily available elsewhere. Members of this forum are actively presenting links to alternate places to pick up other variants and selecting the ones that they like the most, or are cheaper. This is every day here and it has been since the beginning. Just look at the VMP variants of the Tidal Wave releases and how the pressing numbers are higher than the other variants. Plus, look in the guess threads and let me know how many people are guessing and asking for color variants in there. They're asking for specific titles.

If you want to believe that you have some superior take on vinyl collecting, great. We all probably do that with ourselves. I know; you said that you're not doing that and understand that other people care about the color variants and that's fine, it's just not your thing, or whatever. That's great, too. It still comes across a little condescending though.

If seem like you're asking a question you already have your conclusion for. It's just not one that I really agree with, because it's not one that I see a whole lot of evidence of. If VMP was releasing rarer albums that are in need of represses, but they weren't fancy colors, would there be a wave of canceled subscriptions? Well, since a ton of people have canceled, expressly because they feel like they can get the same albums elsewhere and are questioning the value of a membership on here on a daily basis, I guess you can come to your own conclusions. Arguably the most popular repress this month was Blossom Dearie.

I mean... technically, I've actually been collecting records longer than you have and am older than you. But who really gives a shit? Your post feels kind of patronizing and like you want everyone to admit that they only like fancy colors and will leave if they don't get them. Maybe they do and would. Maybe I just interact with people on here more than you do, but I believe that they have more nuance and depth than you're giving them credit for. Then again, maybe I give everyone too much credit and you're right that they would all leave. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe record collecting is objectively foolish, costs too much money, and is taking up way too much room in my home. Maybe we all enjoy it anyway and if we need to try and create tiers or categories, so that we can rank ourselves higher or differently, just to rationalize our own personal reasoning for being involved in this ludicrous hobby, when we're all really just a bunch of fucking idiots, anyway, then maybe we shouldn't even be worrying so much about what motivates everyone else.

For me, I probably have psychological issues with feelings of security and am terrified of losing my tether to the physical world as technology makes things increasingly more abstract, so I cling tight to physical objects. Is my connection more about touch than sound, then? Is that more or less noble than someone buying things based on visuals? I mean, it's all sensory. In the end, we're all basically just stupid animals. You can put an ascot and spats on a donkey, but it does nothing to change its nature.

SIDE NOTE:
Old people that "just don't get it" don't come across as "cool" and wise to a younger generation anymore than they ever did to us when we were the younger generation

Last edited:
I assume another argument to be made is that (and this is obvious) VMP is a curator
That may be true for a number of subscribers that get essentiaIs but i think its rarely true for the people on here. People here are excited for spiritualized or fiona because they wanted vinyl versions of these not because they knew about them from vmp. Especially in essentiaIs there is maybe a record a year I would not have known without vmp. I admit it's different for classics. I'm not a hip hop head but there are rarely rhh picks that I have not heard about before. And if I read the " I joint for..." comments on the forum most people joint for a record they knew before and wanted a fancy or good copy of.
Exclusives are a little different beast,, but since nowadays theyre mostly more expensive color variants that see parallel releases elsewhere for me the curation is negligible

Buy into it or don't. You asked a question that read more like a statement and I'm really not sure what you hope to derive from it.

What I know is that I've seen numerous people regularly state that they are sticking around strictly for Classics. This has been consistently happening, at least since the old forum ended over a year ago, when there was a huge influx of cancellations. It's a sentiment that I've seen repeated consistently. So, if there's been a consistent wave of different people expressing this sentiment to me and it hasn't ended, then it doesn't feel like there's an end to it. The rest is semantics.

You mention classics and claim that the "novelty" is that VMP is "trying to keep those re-presses faithful." I'd argue that it has more to do with the quality of those pressings and that, genre-wise, there's a solid overlap with audiophiles, along with the curation of those titles and how that appeals to members who are interested in growing particular areas of their collections that may be lacking, such as jazz or blues, etc.

No matter how you slice it, you're still explaining different non-color reasons that people subscribe, so your claim that color is the main focus and they will leave without it, still crumbles under those examples. If your claim is that everyone just wants novelty, but not you, because you want substance, well... it doesn't really matter how many times you say "no offense," beforehand, you'll still sound somewhat elitist and judgmental in presenting that narrative, especially if people express that they don't feel that way and you respond that you think it's true, anyway.

I'm gonna be straight up with you and say that I don't fully understand the purpose of your questioning, other than you seem to suggest things that work to elevate and set yourself apart by forcing a narrative that I think holds very little weight. You're presenting it like you're asking a question, but if your initial question -- which, again, reads more like a statement, to be honest -- begins to veer off outside of your intended narrative, you force it back into those set parameters. So, you like music for the music. Cool. You believe most other people are collecting it for some superficial reason. Okay. I guess, you keep doing it the "right way" and let all these new jack suckers chase shiny objects like a cat with a laser pointer.

What I know is that I've been watching people complain non-stop about how VMP isn't offering as many true exclusives anymore and how their curation has mostly become variants. Then VMP announces something like Ladies And Gentlemen..., which has nothing but really shitty or very expensive alternatives, and people scream "FUCK! Now I guess I'm sticking around." What kept them here isn't a novelty or a color, but the chance to finally not have to buy some bunk Plain Recordings pressing. Idler Wheel was on black vinyl. When The Pawn? Black vinyl. Tidal? Black vinyl. What artist has crashed the site more than Fiona Apple? It's black vinyl. Is the "novelty" there that it's hard to get?

EVERY single time the records of the month are announced, people are complaining about the current availability and accessibility of what they've selected. More than that, the minute the guessing even begins, I watch the speculation filled with frustration about how something better not be one thing or another that's readily available elsewhere. Members of this forum are actively presenting links to alternate places to pick up other variants and selecting the ones that they like the most, or are cheaper. This is every day here and it has been since the beginning. Just look at the VMP variants of the Tidal Wave releases and how the pressing numbers are higher than the other variants. Plus, look in the guess threads and let me know how many people are guessing and asking for color variants in there. They're asking for specific titles.

If you want to believe that you have some superior take on vinyl collecting, great. We all probably do that with ourselves. I know; you said that you're not doing that and understand that other people care about the color variants and that's fine, it's just not your thing, or whatever. That's great, too. It still comes across a little condescending though.

If seem like you're asking a question you already have your conclusion for. It's just not one that I really agree with, because it's not one that I see a whole lot of evidence of. If VMP was releasing rarer albums that are in need of represses, but they weren't fancy colors, would there be a wave of canceled subscriptions? Well, since a ton of people have canceled, expressly because they feel like they can get the same albums elsewhere and are questioning the value of a membership on here on a daily basis, I guess you can come to your own conclusions. Arguably the most popular repress this month was Blossom Dearie.

I mean... technically, I've actually been collecting records longer than you have and am older than you. But who really gives a shit? Your post feels kind of patronizing and like you want everyone to admit that they only like fancy colors and will leave if they don't get them. Maybe they do and would. Maybe I just interact with people on here more than you do, but I believe that they have more nuance and depth than you're giving them credit for. Then again, maybe I give everyone too much credit and you're right that they would all leave. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe record collecting is objectively foolish, costs too much money, and is taking up way too much room in my home. Maybe we all enjoy it anyway and if we need to try and create tiers or categories, so that we can rank ourselves higher or differently, just to rationalize our own personal reasoning for being involved in this ludicrous hobby, when we're all really just a bunch of fucking idiots, anyway, then maybe we shouldn't even be worrying so much about what motivates everyone else.

For me, I probably have psychological issues with feelings of security and am terrified of losing my tether to the physical world as technology makes things increasingly more abstract, so I cling tight to physical objects. Is my connection more about touch than sound, then? Is that more or less noble than someone buying things based on visuals? I mean, it's all sensory. In the end, we're all basically just stupid animals. You can put an ascot and spats on a donkey, but it does nothing to change its nature.

SIDE NOTE:
Old people that "just don't get it" don't come across as "cool" and wise to a younger generation anymore than they ever did to us when we were the younger generation

If it came off as condescending , I didn't mean it to, but it also seemed to agitate you in some way, that is fine and I get that. Sorry if my Buy it comment came off as harsh, it wasn't meant to be, it was just a saying, but you seem to have taken it that way. my point in bringing up my age/length of listening to records has more to due with the fact that especially in the late 90s where vinyl was a novelty at that point and color while was a thing, the big deal was actually finding a copy, period. Color was never a thing for me, and maybe it is now for people where color seems to be instilled in record collecting, Is that right or wrong I don't know.

And keep in mind, I am like many in this thread, still giving $30 a month to VMP, so trying to slight people for just being subscribers would be foolish on my part. I'll agree, it did come off as pretentious, try as I might some times you can't avoid it. I barely post here, so yes, you would know more than me, and know the people here obviously, but i also think everyone here is nice not the normal reddit crowd, or the early to mid 00s boards with this subject matter, and def not anywhere near what the steve hoffmans forums are, you couldn't pay me to post there

My OG question less to do with this forum/tread and more to do with other avenues ie their social, reddit etc, while this place seems to be for "smarter" or at least more self aware VMP people

This was not meant as a serperior take, just a take period. Just because it may seem like i am going against the model that MOST people enjoy, does not mean It comes with an elite take, it's how I feel, and maybe if that crate diggers track existed I'd be less inclined to ask this question, and it was a question

Look I get it, and I am commenting to a person who uses "Dead C" as their user name. I'm not going to get a Siltbreeze or a Bada Bing comp from VMP anytime soon either . The point of my question was just that: If VMP just stopped color variants would you still be interested. I ask because I don't think for better or worse VMP could survive in the way they are now, due to the fact many of the people interested in VMP may no longer be if all tracks were black

Do we even know what the numbers are (I'm talking tracks here, which we know many have been repressed by vmp)? Have they ever been released? Blossom Dearie is hyped sure and sells out instantly, but hell, plenty of harsh noise records, black metal records, minimal composer records etc. get that same kind of hype where if a repress happens for certain records, it goes instantly ie Merzbow's Pulse Demon etc. and I would add for some of those records IE SUNN O))) sells in the thousands, sometimes 10k copies or more due to variant. So it happens in these "cool music nerds" worlds too, and that just isnt for me either.

Edit: Also to be clear - nowhere did I say or even hint that I think most people would stop subscribing, but as I did say, I don't think it would be an insignificant number either.

It's almost like you are having a conversation with yourself justifying why you might like color or limited variants, and that's fine too.

I was a sociology major, not psych, but I've done the same thing

Edited for spelling and clearity.

Last edited:
If it came off as condescending , I didn't mean it to, but it also seemed to agitate you in some way, that is fine and I get that. Sorry if my Buy it comment came off as harsh, it wasn't meant to be, it was just a saying, but you seem to have taken it that way. my point in bringing up my age/length of listening to records has more to due with the fact that especially in the late 90s where vinyl was a novelty at that point and color while was a thing, the big deal was actually finding a copy, period. Color was never a thing for me, and maybe it is now for people where color seems to be instilled in record collecting, Is that right or wrong I don't know.

And keep in mind, I am like many in this thread, still giving $30 a month to VMP, so trying to slight people for just being subscribers would be foolish on my part, but sure, I'll agree, it did come off as pretentious, try as I might some times you can't avoid it. I barely post here, so yes, you would know more than me, and know the people here obviously, but i also think everyone here is nice not the normal reddit crowd, or the early to mid 00s boards with this subject matter, and def not anywhhere near what the steve hoffmans forums are, you ouldn't pay me to post there

My OG question less to do with this forum/tread and more to do with other avenues ie their social, reddit etc, while this place seems to be for "smarter" or at least more self aware VMP people

This was not meant as a serperior take, just a take period. Just because it may seem like i am going against the model that MOST people enjoy, does not mean It comes with an elite take, it's how I feel, and maybe if that crate diggers track existed I'd be less inclined to ask this question, and it was a question

Look I get it, and I am commenting to a person who uses "Dead C" as their user name. I'm not going to get a Siltbreeze or a Bada Bing comp from VMP anytime soon either . The point of my question was just that: If VMP just stopped color variants would you still be interested. I ask because I don't think for better or worse VMP could survive in the way they are now, due to the fact many of the people interested in VMP may no longer be if all tracks were black

Do we even know what the numbers are (I'm talking tracks here, which we know many have been repressed by vmp)? Have they ever been released? Blossom Dearie is hyped sure and sells out instantly, but hell, plenty of harsh noise records, black metal records, minimal composer records etc. get that same kind of hype where if a repress happens for certain records, it goes instantly ie Merzbow's Pulse Demon etc. and I would add for some of those records IE SUNN O))) sells in the thousands, sometimes 10k copies or more due to variant. So it happens in these "cool music nerds" worlds too, and that just isnt for me either.

Edit: Also to be clear - nowhere did I say or even hint that I think most people would stop subscribing, but as I did say, I don't think it would be an insignificant number either.

It's almost like you are having a conversation with yourself justifying why you might like color or limited variants, and that's fine too.

I was a sociology major, not psych, but I've done the same thing

Edited for spelling and clearity.

You dont need to appologise for these posts - I didn't read it as preaching, condescending etc. I would be nit picking to say otherwise.
In answer to ur Q .....
Would I subscribe to a record club that only dealt in black Vinyl true exclusives - Fuck yeah. Could they also be Black and yellow stripes every release and call themselves Bee Records - Why not. Its got to the point getting black vinyl stands out as possibly a "quality" pressing. Tough business model to crack tho a nice niche.

Your probably right tho - It would cost them a significant number of members.

Yes, but as long as when we say rarer, we don't mean hasn't been reissued in decades because it is still available in bargain bins everywhere.

again, if you’re thing is the color variants. That’s cool. More power to you. And again I know more than likely the appeal of VMP for many is the model they have now

I would still subscribe, but I do enjoy variants if they're a few dollars more. Just as I like a great quality jacket or booklet, the color can add to the experience.

But the resale market for color variants does speak to what you're saying. Lots of ppl are thrilled to buy a color variant for 3x or 4x the price of standard. Unfortunately, VMP & Newbury are trying to get a bigger slice of that pie, and the price difference between std. black and variants keeps increasing :(

And finally, on the issue of 'discovering', there are many subscribers (like myself) who are pretty damn ignorant on music XD So even when VMP gets a bit lazy and 'curates' a color variant like Spoon or Camp Lo, they're still helping a lot of people discover that record.

I think rare truly exclusive music would be a much greater selling point. Unfortunately it is likely more difficult to appeal to wide swath of consumers going this route than just picking a popular LP and putting it in a new color wax.

You dont need to appologise for these posts - I didn't read it as preaching, condescending etc. I would be nit picking to say otherwise.
In answer to ur Q .....
Would I subscribe to a record club that only dealt in black Vinyl true exclusives - Fuck yeah. Could they also be Black and yellow stripes every release and call themselves Bee Records - Why not. Its got to the point getting black vinyl stands out as possibly a "quality" pressing. Tough business model to crack tho a nice niche.

Your probably right tho - It would cost them a significant number of members.
See I don’t think people care about black on ROTM, as @Dead C pointed out with the classics subscription. If it’s a good album in need of reissuing and is an exclusive remaster, people will buy it.

It’s the store exclusives that would take the most hit if they stopped doing color variants since it’s becoming increasingly the case that those are often limited color variants available elsewhere. Nobody knows subscription numbers but I’m assuming a lot of members buy those exclusives too and it’s a steady cash flow for VMP. I don’t think many people sub only for exclusives now though since true exclusives are so few and far between.

See I don’t think people care about black on ROTM, as @Dead C pointed out with the classics subscription. If it’s a good album in need of reissuing and is an exclusive remaster, people will buy it.

It’s the store exclusives that would take the most hit if they stopped doing color variants since it’s becoming increasingly the case that those are often limited color variants available elsewhere. Nobody knows subscription numbers but I’m assuming a lot of members buy those exclusives too and it’s a steady cash flow for VMP. I don’t think many people sub only for exclusives now though since true exclusives are so few and far between.
Yes, I think what I was getting at really if the main tracks (as far as I know there has never been a classic track on color, but I could be wrong? Please correct me) If the main tracks were black, and maybe I should have clarified that earlier. I think the store exclusives not the tracks, are just that, and I think getting rid of those in terms of variant, would have made an impact on subscriber count.

I also get it, not all tracks are just variants, and yes, there have been some of these Essentials etc a VMP only exclusive, but for the most part, I would imagine Spiritualized will just be re-issued elsewhere (and i do know about the plain recordings, I mean My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is a prime example of their BS) , but I think what I was getting at was I'd rather have titles in these tracks totally exclusive to the club, and it seems like more and more of the FOMO is just the color variants themselves, again I know some tracks truly are exclusives.

Back