Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

100% Spiritualized needs a good pressing and there is none readily available. However The Flaming Lips ROTM, On the other hand; was readily available with well regarded pressing of The Soft Bulletin had they chosen to press that in black it would have been pointless, there is a quality Chris Bellman cut Pallas pressed version readily available. I Believe Buena Vista Social Club is another good example of this.
yeah I've had both Flaming lips pressings (OG and this newer one, which I know used the plates as the reissue before, and i know we can never get a true remaster) so that toally makes sense

I guess I just don't pay attention like you guys do to VMP ins and outs so, I'm still kind of in shock, but I think it's more due to my next point

and yes i guess this is going to come off as snobby, I don't mean it to be, but it's just my experience - I guess the record collector world I'm in for the most part, I don't know how serious they'd take VMP, and granted most of my friends aren't the target demo for VMP (just title wise for the most part). I got into VMP really cause my buddy was starting out and really wasn't a record collector, and was never a part of any record collector world, wanted a friend to join him for VMP, I really stuck with it cause it gave us something to talk about, but I also stuck it out cause he's my friend and there have been titles I wanted (Coltrane/Davis Art ensemble of chicago etc). I so I think really it boils down to the issue that I am clueless/ignorant to this world of VMP so to speak , and really, I just had no idea what a machine VMP is..

yeah I've had both Flaming lips pressings (OG and this newer one, which I know used the plates as the reissue before, and i know we can never get a true remaster) so that toally makes sense

I guess I just don't pay attention like you guys do to VMP ins and outs so, I'm still kind of in shock, but I think it's more due to my next point

and yes i guess this is going to come off as snobby, I don't mean it to be, but it's just my experience - I guess the record collector world I'm in for the most part, I don't know how serious they'd take VMP, and granted most of my friends aren't the target demo for VMP (just title wise for the most part), so I think really it boils down to the issue that I am clueless/ignorant to this world of VMP so to speak, and really, I just had no idea what a machine VMP is..
VMP has gone through some major growning pains over the last few years and while that has had a huge negative impact on what many would have considered top notch customer service their actual product is usually quality. There are some QC issues here and there (and eventually they will usually correct for those) but overall most albums put out by VMP at the very least meet modern standards (many often exceed those standards). I am sure it is easy for some to write off VMP, many on this forum justifiably have; but I think most collectors I have interacted with take their product seriously at the very least.

Is this a new road they're exploiting, I mean exploring? Video game soundtracks? It's been 10+ years since I was much of a gamer at all, but the list of artists on this soundtrack to a game I've never heard of is intriguing.

VMP has gone through some major growning pains over the last few years and while that has had a huge negative impact on what many would have considered top notch customer service their actual product is usually quality. There are some QC issues here and there (and eventually they will usually correct for those) but overall most albums put out by VMP at the very least meet modern standards (many often exceed those standards). I am sure it is easy for some to write off VMP, many on this forum justifiably have; but I think most collectors I have interacted with take their product seriously at the very least.
Yeah, I don't think it would be the physical product so much as the titles and their selections, but again, a lot of what I'm into prob isn't anything (for the most part) VMP would license (then again they did sonny sharrock...)

and yes i guess this is going to come off as snobby, I don't mean it to be, but it's just my experience - I guess the record collector world I'm in for the most part, I don't know how serious they'd take VMP, and granted most of my friends aren't the target demo for VMP (just title wise for the most part). I got into VMP really cause my buddy was starting out and really wasn't a record collector, and was never a part of any record collector world, wanted a friend to join him for VMP, I really stuck with it cause it gave us something to talk about, but I also stuck it out cause he's my friend and there have been titles I wanted (Coltrane/Davis Art ensemble of chicago etc). I so I think really it boils down to the issue that I am clueless/ignorant to this world of VMP so to speak , and really, I just had no idea what a machine VMP is..
I'm part of that collector world, where I value pressing/mastering quality over all else on reissues and I did totally write VMP off for those reasons in the beginning. But, when I noticed they were putting out stuff that wasn't available in better presses, like the Noname I almost missed on, I joined for Saba for fear of the same thing happening.

However, in that time, they got a lot more serious about doing AAA in the Classics track, so I do think people in that collector group you mention take the Classics track seriously now. I still don't usually pick up the ones that I could get original pressings for under $20 for though. I also haven't picked up earlier titles, even though I want them, because I'd rather have a well remastered version of Journey to Satchidananda, for example, than a GZ DMM.

hah, though i'd argue that may be a bad example just due to that artists reach/fan base

I think Spiritualized would be a better example, great, great record sure, critics love it sure take away the color aspect, as far as I know this is a true remaster, could that alone carry that track? And i'm not saying 1000-3000 of these won't go, but, its something i wonder
I barely noticed (or care) that Spiritualized is on colored vinyl, I’m just extremely happy to finally have an option that’s not Plain (they are the worst, Burr)

I barely noticed (or care) that Spiritualized is on colored vinyl, I’m just extremely happy to finally have an option that’s not Plain (they are the worst, Burr)
Yeah. It's sad cause there's was the only in print version of Loveless for so long (which is where my disgust started with them in the mid 00s) . And them being under the runt umbrella makes total sense

Any news on joining for their 3 months offer, but swaping for McCoy (or any ther record)? I sent an email asking a couple of days ago, but have had no luck. Has anyone tried this yet?

Any news on joining for their 3 months offer, but swaping for McCoy (or any ther record)? I sent an email asking a couple of days ago, but have had no luck. Has anyone tried this yet?
You can join with any previous ROTM in essentials or hip hop only. The deal says Classics are not part of the deal. You also aren't able to manual swap although some people I believe said they were able to get a manual swap. You cannot get Classics for the first month, but any month past that and you can swap as normal.

When I did the deal last time, I signed up with Jorge Ben and it was shipped to me within a few days.

Yeah, I don't think it would be the physical product so much as the titles and their selections, but again, a lot of what I'm into prob isn't anything (for the most part) VMP would license (then again they did sonny sharrock...)
I'm in the same sort of world as you but I will say VMP's remasters and AAA Classics track sounds awesome. Their Blue Note pressings rival the quality of Music Matters/AP IMO (with not as nice packaging). I do think a lot of people unfairly write them off as snobbery with people thinking a vinyl club is a gimmick but they do tend to care about the remastering. They partner with lots of great remastering studios and most Classics are pressed at QRP or RTI.

I also think they have been crushing it with the jazz releases lately.

In the US, not the world surely? Unless like with baseball you only need to win in one country to be world champions
The article I saw didn't specify. But I assume, perhaps unfairly, that the US holds a huge market share of vinyl purchasers. I believe the ranking was Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Newbury then VMP. This was I think from 2017.

The article I saw didn't specify. But I assume, perhaps unfairly, that the US holds a huge market share of vinyl purchasers. I believe the ranking was Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Newbury then VMP. This was I think from 2017.

Yeah that was a US list, I remember VMP publicising it. Amazon are undoubtedly the worlds biggest but the other 3 aren’t really significant players outside the US and funnily enough Europe, Canada, the land down under, Japan etc etc are pretty damn significant markets!

I'm in the same sort of world as you but I will say VMP's remasters and AAA Classics track sounds awesome. Their Blue Note pressings rival the quality of Music Matters/AP IMO (with not as nice packaging). I do think a lot of people unfairly write them off as snobbery with people thinking a vinyl club is a gimmick but they do tend to care about the remastering. They partner with lots of great remastering studios and most Classics are pressed at QRP or RTI.

I also think they have been crushing it with the jazz releases lately.
Yeah, I mean I think it's fair to say for the most part Jazz collectors can smell BS from a mile away, so them being on point is good, for sure, but also they are smart enough to know they kind of have to be

but yeah I agree, although if they really want me to drop money, they should just do a sun ra boxset. Which look, i know is "basic" when it comes to free jazz, but I'd bet with the right selection and price, that would go faster than the dead box (which I know the pressing count is also insane)

Sadly this probably will never happen due to the fact the sun ra record exclusive alone is still in the store..

You can join with any previous ROTM in essentials or hip hop only. The deal says Classics are not part of the deal. You also aren't able to manual swap although some people I believe said they were able to get a manual swap. You cannot get Classics for the first month, but any month past that and you can swap as normal.

When I did the deal last time, I signed up with Jorge Ben and it was shipped to me within a few days.
That makes sense. Thanks for your reply! There isn't much that I'm grabs my eye among the previous Esentials and RHH. If they would at least let me sawp for Celia and Johnny I'd be in.

Yeah that was a US list, I remember VMP publicising it. Amazon are undoubtedly the worlds biggest but the other 3 aren’t really significant players outside the US and funnily enough Europe, Canada, the land down under, Japan etc etc are pretty damn significant markets!

This was the article I saw it in. I'm guessing they mean retailer of NEW records, vs new + used which I'm sure discogs or ebay is #1, or maybe still Amazon. You're right though--I looked it up and on their kickfurther campaign, they said they sell over $10 million per year in records and are the 3rd largest online record seller in the US.

I'd be curious to see who sells the top 5 online in the world. You're right in that Amazon is likely #1 but maybe somewhere in Japan is #2.

This was the article I saw it in. I'm guessing they mean retailer of NEW records, vs new + used which I'm sure discogs or ebay is #1, or maybe still Amazon. You're right though--I looked it up and on their kickfurther campaign, they said they sell over $10 million per year in records and are the 3rd largest online record seller in the US.

I'd be curious to see who sells the top 5 online in the world. You're right in that Amazon is likely #1 but maybe somewhere in Japan is #2.
I would assume this may be Disk Union or Tower if I had to guess

edited for spelling

Back