Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Reviving this comment because I found a cheap copy of Hood Rich in the wild yesterday. Their first 3 albums have never been pressed. Get Your Roll On deserves the wax treatment at the very least
Nice!!! This is their only album I have and I went the Discogs route about a year ago. I'd love if " I Got That Work " was pressed!

Big Tymers had some bangers for their time but for me something i wouldn't spin on wax more of a mp3 listen if i wanted to own a physical copy a 99 cent thrift store find would do.

Big Tymers had some bangers for their time but for me something i wouldn't spin on wax more of a mp3 listen if i wanted to own a physical copy a 99 cent thrift store find would do.
Don’t disagree but at the same time I’ve got plenty of records that I keep purely for collecting purposes. I’m not gonna pay 40 bucks for it but like you said, thrift finds are great for hip hop

Welp. Got my Low End Theory copy today and immediately upon dropping the needle the disappointment set in. There's an insane of noise and static right from the jump and for some reason my VM95ML does not track the first track well at all. It's not noticeably warped or off center but it skips all over the place. The static does fade and the occurrence of skipping decreases significantly on subsequent tracks, but no matter what I did could I improve the sound and performance of the first track. I tried the second disk and it was better but still had some skips which there should be none of. Going to of course contact CS, but man I am bummed. Seen promising reports so far about this release, but it's still early so I'm curious to see if this is a wider spread issue like with too many previous releases recently or if I just got a bad copy. From what I could hear, it sounded great, but if I can't listen to a song in it's entirety, the mastering is irrelevant.

Edit: Put on the VMP copy of Salt N Pepa Black Magic, which is also a standard weight 45, and it was silent no static and no skips. I did just fairly recently get the VM95ML so I at least wanted to make sure it wasn't a stylus issue, and that album showed me that it wasn't.

Last edited:
Welp. Got my Low End Theory copy today and immediately upon dropping the needle the disappointment set in. There's an insane of noise and static right from the jump and for some reason my VM95ML does not track the first track well at all. It's not noticeably warped or off center but it skips all over the place. The static does fade and the occurrence of skipping decreases significantly on subsequent tracks, but no matter what I did could I improve the sound and performance of the first track. I tried the second disk and it was better but still had some skips which there should be none of. Going to of course contact CS, but man I am bummed. Seen promising reports so far about this release, but it's still early so I'm curious to see if this is a wider spread issue like with too many previous releases recently or if I just got a bad copy. From what I could hear, it sounded great, but if I can't listen to a song in it's entirety, the mastering is irrelevant.

Edit: Put on the VMP copy of Salt N Pepa Black Magic, which is also a standard weight 45, and it was silent no static and no skips. I did just fairly recently get the VM95ML so I at least wanted to make sure it wasn't a stylus issue, and that album showed me that it wasn't.
Reading the reviews on Discogs and they’re mostly all very positive, maybe you got a bad copy?

Hmmm, I didn't have that issue on side A but I'm going to spin again later and I'll check more thoroughly. But just because i didn't have it means nothing, totally believe it's a effed up GZ press. But I will say of ALL the issues I've had I've never had a piece of vinyl skip, from anywhere. So that COULD be down to a setup issue... maybe... Tracking force? Anti skate? What kind of table are you running?

Hmmm, I didn't have that issue on side A but I'm going to spin again later and I'll check more thoroughly. But just because i didn't have it means nothing, totally believe it's a effed up GZ press. But I will say of ALL the issues I've had I've never had a piece of vinyl skip, from anywhere. So that COULD be down to a setup issue... maybe... Tracking force? Anti skate? What kind of table are you running?
Running the fan favorite AT-LP120 non X version (been wanting a reason to upgrade). I'll triple check the tracking force, but I've only had the cart for about 6 weeks and I fully calibrated it upon receipt and everything thus far I've listened to with it has sounded great. I even upped the tracking force a smidge to see if that would mitigate the skipping, and it did a bit, but certainly didn't eliminate it. I'll also check the anti skating, but I know that's something this deck always struggles with. Thanks for the suggestions.

Running the fan favorite AT-LP120 non X version (been wanting a reason to upgrade). I'll triple check the tracking force, but I've only had the cart for about 6 weeks and I fully calibrated it upon receipt and everything thus far I've listened to with it has sounded great. I even upped the tracking force a smidge to see if that would mitigate the skipping, and it did a bit, but certainly didn't eliminate it. I'll also check the anti skating, but I know that's something this deck always struggles with. Thanks for the suggestions.
I mean honestly... it's probably GZ but it can't hurt to check.

Okay I did get some right channel crackle on side 4 about halfway through. Not horrendous but it's there.

I mean honestly... it's probably GZ but it can't hurt to check.
I had to check our my 1240 because I've never had skipping in over a year. Got Mamas Gun and Side B was skipping all over the first track on two copies. Made a little adjustment but sometime it's the record.

I had to check our my 1240 because I've never had skipping in over a year. Got Mamas Gun and Side B was skipping all over the first track on two copies. Made a little adjustment but sometime it's the record.
So you've also got skipping on ATCQ?

No, mine hasn't even shipped, yet. Just saying sometimes they sneak a lemon in, even on ones that are mostly good.
Oh for sure, TRUST me. I've had every issue in the book, it's just that skips are not something I've ever had an issue with through like... 800+ records. So it's not USUALLY something I would say is coming from the pressing. But also different tables different carts etc etc. But yeah, I have no love for GZ... Hopefully any skips get sorted out.

45rpm does require your anti-skate to be correctly set up. I have a few 45rpm AP and MOFI and they are more than exacting. Fingers crossed for you.

Back