Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

From the VMP forums and I think maybe appropriate?

"Another comes from a guy who is also in a group that starts with a W." -- Welp. Let me start plugging into Wu-Tang solo albums that fit one of those three visual clues.

• Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Smoke cloud above Rae's head on the cover)
  • Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele (Extreme close-up of Ghost's face)
  • Method Man - Tical (Smoke cloud on the cover)

Smashed the like button as hard as I could!!

Got my order in today, with Ridin and OutKast. Haven’t had a chance to play OutKast yet, but Ridin’ sounds pretty good to me. Not a metric ton of bass which is to be expected from a GZ DMM cut, but the vocals are clear and forward with no distortion. It sounds good cranked which is what I’m doing at the moment. Only so slight non-fill in the very end of the runout on disc one.

The package is indeed shitty. The upscale is poor and I think they could have done a much better pretty easily by processing graphic and photographic elements with different upscaling methods. Oh well. I like the stock they chose for the cover even if it’s just direct to board. Just think it’s a shame with the package and lack of a dedicated master since the Slowdive P4K x VMP wasn’t one of the nicest VMP releases and this is not on the same level.

Is there any better way to have monthly guesses / frontrunners posted in this thread for each month? A master "post" each month, within this thread, that is updated? That way we wouldn't have to start any new threads.

Well, I'm afraid we don't have a plan to start a new thread every month to accommodate VMP's monthly release schedule any more. Storf is running his monthly guess threads at Reddit if you want a tidy discussion area.

JUNE HINTS:

Hint 1 & 2:

Two of the three records are made by artists with Latin American roots (my fact checking might be a bit off here, it turns out.)

Two of the three records were made either in New York City, or very close to it.

Hint 3:

Extreme closeup, a deli, smoke cloud.

Hint 4:

One ROTM comes from a guy with a name that starts with a W. Another comes from a guy who is also in a group that starts with a W. The final one comes from a guy who added an addendum to his name at a later date.

The current consensus is that Hint 1 pertains to the other two threads and Hint 2~4 cover this track. Particularly, we think this month's RHH AotM comes from the artist who is also in a group whose name begins with the letter W.

I think that is where we're at.

The current consensus is that Hint 1 pertains to the other two threads and Hint 2~4 cover this track. Particularly, we think this month's RHH AotM comes from the artist who is also in a group whose name begins with the letter W.

I think that is where we're at.
Thank you, I think that means I have been tracking correctly. Yeah, I agree with most that it is likely one of the Wu-Tang guys.

Tical definitely fits it the best. I really love this album, but I selfishly hope it is anything else since I already own it and probably wouldn't opt for a different pressing unless the variant was spectacular.

Got Ridin Dirty and Southernplayalistic in today

Ridin Dirty has this low res blown up cover but Outkast has a really nice quality one
Ridin Dirty is a gatefold but Outkast isn't
Outkast is barely purple but it's got almost a dark orange split on one of mine and looks great, Ridin Dirty is kinda ugly not gonna lie

Really happy I got both in, can't wait to spin em tomorrow

Got Ridin Dirty and Southernplayalistic in today

Ridin Dirty has this low res blown up cover but Outkast has a really nice quality one
Ridin Dirty is a gatefold but Outkast isn't
Outkast is barely purple but it's got almost a dark orange split on one of mine and looks great, Ridin Dirty is kinda ugly not gonna lie

Really happy I got both in, can't wait to spin em tomorrow

I was also not impressed by the UGK album aesthetics. The vinyl colors are really washed out compared to the photos they post.

I was also not impressed by the UGK album aesthetics. The vinyl colors are really washed out compared to the photos they post.

The sound is really flat too which is super disappointing, glad to own it but overall a very underwhelming release for one of the greatest albums of the genre, p4k & VMP should both feel bad

I was surprised that a lot of folks did not care for this pressing, because it sounds absolutely full on my set up. Great Mid's with a well balanced low and high section. Or maybe I was too sauced up to notice it was shite.
Audio wise, I would say the pressing is really solid. It was the pixelized cover and pretty opaque color variant that was underwhelming, imo.

Back