Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I was surprised that a lot of folks did not care for this pressing, because it sounds absolutely full on my set up. Great Mid's with a well balanced low and high section. Or maybe I was too sauced up to notice it was shite.

I didn’t mind it at all, and I'm super picky about hip-hop reissues as most sound like shit. The UGK sounds decently balanced but the bass does not slam as deep as it does on some great OG 90s hip-hop pressings. This is one reason to not keep going to GZ for these hip-hop albums. GZ’s entire MO is to get the digital master onto vinyl making adjustments for best playback, so even though they're not cranking out totally rolled-off albums, they will make sacrifices to avoid people with poor tracking tonearms / carts from whining about skips.

That aside, quite frankly I don’t think the album sounds amazing in any iteration, nor does it actually have that much bass in the CD master. GZ has also expressed on the old place and other forums that they don't adjust the tonal balance nearly as much as A-list mastering studios do. Perhaps this album would benefit from some low end bump, but for GZ it's unfaithful to the provided master and a potential tracking hazard for the Crosley set.

1st wave of Wu solo projects I prefer it to Ironman or Only built 4 Cuban Linx. It's actually grown more on me over the years.

I think I agree. Certainly over Ironman. I think one major strength Tical has is brevity. Possibly because Meth isn't as good of an MC as Raekwon or Ghost, he was humble enough to make his album a classic 45 minute length, so he never overstays his welcome, and the whole thing is a tight package, and feels more like a contemporary album.

I do like many of the songs on Cuban Linx more though, even if it's a bit bloated. Ironman doesn't really feel as good as the other two IMO. I do slightly regret unloading an OG copy I bought for $2 to a local shop. It was a VG copy, that had clearly seen DJ use but with my newer stylus that may have not even been audible. Not something I'd aggressively seek out again, but it did sound pretty good for an infrequent listen.

Nope. I have the version with the holographic smoke cover. No issues with the sound. It's not mixed low or full of fill or anything. The pressing quality is fine - nothing to write home about - but I didn't feel bad spending $20 on it

I think it's an underrated Wu release. The production is still peak RZA and of the 1st wave of Wu solo projects I prefer it to Ironman or Only built 4 Cuban Linx. It's actually grown more on me over the years.
Completely agree with you on this one.
Underrated as fuck.
I love this album.
It’ll be my one VMP record this month.

I think all five first solo efforts are classics though.
The beats in Tical are just so dirty good.

Does VMP do returns for messed up covers? My OutKast came today but it’s got a small crease in the cover. Nothing major but enough to piss me off.
I wanna say yes? It's been my experience throughout most of my time with VMP, and I did just get a replacement order put in for Ridin Dirty due to some intense seam splits (the vinyl appears to be fine, haven't spun it yet though). But given other peoples' less-than-stellar recent experiences, don't be too shocked if they say "Sorry, no". How bad is the crease?

Edit: also just realized we're talking about Outkast - I'd be shocked if they had ANY replacement copies in stock tbh, due to the whole overselling fiasco. So if they do approve a replacement you might have to wait a while

Does VMP do returns for messed up covers? My OutKast came today but it’s got a small crease in the cover. Nothing major but enough to piss me off.
They have been known to do so.
I wanna say yes? It's been my experience throughout most of my time with VMP, and I did just get a replacement order put in for Ridin Dirty due to some intense seam splits (the vinyl appears to be fine, haven't spun it yet though). But given other peoples' less-than-stellar recent experiences, don't be too shocked if they say "Sorry, no". How bad is the crease?

Edit: also just realized we're talking about Outkast - I'd be shocked if they had ANY replacement copies in stock tbh, due to the whole overselling fiasco. So if they do approve a replacement you might have to wait a while
didn't they recently revise their replacement policy in regards to cosmetic imperfections to not replace them?

didn't they recently revise their replacement policy in regards to cosmetic imperfections to not replace them?
I'd say a seam split is more severe than a warp that doesn't affect play. Have they refused to replace anything other than that?

I wish they would give the option of sending the records outside of the sleeves.

I'm mystified by this one. If there was a rap record that didn't really need a reissue at all... Tical would be first on that list. Why they picked this one is beyond me.
can't say I disagree with you, and it's definitely not one of my favorite Wu releases, but I would still probably try to see if I could get a member to grab me a copy.

Back