Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Imo, How I Got Over is essential Roots. Would definitely make my top 5...
Things Fall Apart
Illedelph HalfLife
Game Theory
Phrenology
How I Got Over

Only issue was who didn't already own it when its been like $12 for years
In general I agree with this. If the album was harder to find pre-VMP, people would have lost their marbles with the release. It is one of my favorite Roots albums.

But! If I was picking “THE” essential Roots album, that wouldn’t be it.

Imo, How I Got Over is essential Roots. Would definitely make my top 5...
Things Fall Apart
Illedelph HalfLife
Game Theory
Phrenology
How I Got Over

Only issue was who didn't already own it when its been like $12 for years
Also, how often do most people who aren't die hard fans wanna reach for a groups 5th best record?

I don't think anyone hates the album. It's just a bad pick for an Essential Roots album considering their discography.
Man that's a bold statement. I would actually say the opposite on this one.

Things Fall Apart probably has their most hits, but there's been a lot of decent reissues which can be picked up for less than £20, so people would of complained if they chose that.

Phrenology has never seen an official reissue on vinyl (as far as I am aware), is one of the most expensive of their albums to get hold of, and has a killer lead single in 'The Seed (2.0)'. It ticks all the boxes for me (even though I have a copy already).

Man that's a bold statement. I would actually say the opposite on this one.

Things Fall Apart probably has their most hits, but there's been a lot of decent reissues which can be picked up for less than £20, so people would of complained if they chose that.

Phrenology has never seen an official reissue on vinyl (as far as I am aware), is one of the most expensive of their albums to get hold of, and has a killer lead single in 'The Seed (2.0)'. It ticks all the boxes for me (even though I have a copy already).
I agree with you, I was talking about How I Got Over. Or am I misunderstanding?

Urgghhhh my bad, your totally right. That will teach me to read properly in the future!
Oh no, I see now. Clearly when I wrote that I got confused about which one was for which track. You were right to be confused. I still probably wouldn't name Phrenology if someone asked me for top 3 essential Roots albums, but I'm happy we got it since it is the best one in need of a reissue. Goes to show how great their discography is.

Last edited:
Oh no, I see now. Clearly when I wrote that I got confused about which one was for which track. You were right to be confused. I still probably wouldn't name Phrenology if some asked me for top 3 essential Roots albums, but I'm happy we got it since it is the best one in need of a reissue. Goes to show how great their discography is.
Completely agree, they have such a killer discography!

A little lucky tale of mine that happened last night. VMP opened up a little kiosk to sell records from here in Denver at one of the numerous food halls that we have around town. Went there to grab dinner, and decided to peruse the limited selection that they were offering, and to my very pleasant surprise found a brand new copy of Goodie Mob: Soul Food for $30. So got one of my all time favorite records for 25% off on a record that is listed as sold out on the site. Now I have an issue in that I need to drop by regularly to see what other gems I can hopefully come across. They also had the new RUN DMC available which is also sold out online.

Spinning EL-P ISWYD right now... first impressions:

Package is nice, photo inners etc. Discs aren't flat but yeah what else is new. It's nice and quiet, the silences are silent... the mix though, is... muddy. It's not terrible, but it's kinda what I expected from a Fat Possum pressing. My digital copy is clearer and you can much more easily pick up all the layers that EL-P has within the songs, like these tracks are DENSE so I think it would have been nice to have a better quality master on this one. It sounds good, and it thumps, but it's definitely muddier than I had hoped it would be.

EDIT: EMG, first track side two sounds much better in terms of mid range and clarity. So... not sure why but hopefully it continues through the last 3 sides...

Last edited:
Back