Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

If the VMP Rap album of the Month is Beastie Boys;l I wouldn't of used the "most important rap album" language/hint.

Feels weird to say the most important album in Rap music is a bunch of white dudes. And that's nothing against Beasties, just looks off.
What's more important than frat boys getting into hip hop? /s

Raising Hell contains "Walk This Way" which was huge for rap (and Aerosmith, but I digress). The Beastie Boys are great and one of my all time fav's and the beats on both License To Ill and Raising Hell are amazing if a bit basic. All that to say I doubt even the Beastie's would describe any of their releases as The most important rap album, License To Ill isn't even the most important Beastie Boys album. They revered Run DMC though and like a lot of folks would consider Raising Hell to be the album that launched Rap into Mainstream culture i.e. The most important rap album.

Last edited:
eh i get why people would love run DMC.. they certainly have charisma.. but its clearly the album has aged kinda badly.. not horribly, but it feels like all they are doing is screaming their raps and the rhymes are very simplistic

cancelling for this month and buying mobb deep

Not for nothing, but...Storf said most important, not best.

Raising Hell was the first rap album to go Platinum and Licensed to Ill was the first rap album to top the Billboard album charts. Clearly both albums were/are hugely important in the history, and popularity, of hip hop. I'd say Raising Hell was significantly more important, while Licensed to Ill has been more popular, but that's just my opinion man.

Now, either way if it's one of those two albums, they are not hard to get quality reissues of in basic black, for relatively cheap, but so was How I Got Over and that's sold out, so clearly VMP know their market. As I like colour variants, and stencils I'll never use, I'm in for either.

Not for nothing, but...Storf said most important, not best.

Raising Hell was the first rap album to go Platinum and Licensed to Ill was the first rap album to top the Billboard album charts. Clearly both albums were/are hugely important in the history, and popularity, of hip hop. I'd say Raising Hell was significantly more important, while Licensed to Ill has been more popular, but that's just my opinion man.

Now, either way if it's one of those two albums, they are not hard to get quality reissues of in basic black, for relatively cheap, but so was How I Got Over and that's sold out, so clearly VMP know their market. As I like colour variants, and stencils I'll never use, I'm in for either.

I heard that. I don't have either and they're neither something I would go out of my way to get but, I like both and either one would be nice to have in the collection, plus I like vmps treatment. Annnnnnnnnnnddd I cant miss out on this Mobb Deep lol...... missed Biggie twice.

"Reissue of the debut LP from the New York duo who will stab your brain with your nose bone, we have The Infamous on blue and orange haze vinyl"

I reckon whoever got to write this little description using prodigy's lyrics gave themselves a little pat on the back for it. Probably pitched a lil mini trouser tent while coming up with it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Back