Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Those would be the top two considerations for me, personally. Nothing against the rest of his catalogue in any way shape, or form (he's one of my top emcees - I love 'em all!), but Labor Days and The Impossible Kid are both pretty pinnacle points at different ends of his career. Sure Skelethon really brought forth the new flow, but the sudden emergence of personal introspection that came with The Impossible Kid is an undeniable paradigm shift for him - and he rocked it well.

Hell, Bushwick would have been a more inspired choice than None Shall Pass, although very left-field and a bit daring since it's an instrumental film score. Or, as I mentioned in the past, finally reissuing Music for Earthworms would have been a monumental coup. Otherwise his solo stuff is all, thankfully, very readily available.

Now Hail Mary Mallon or The Uncluded... those would also be some very daring and exciting choices!
Honestly at the end of the day, I'm glad people get to check out Aesop that maybe wouldn't otherwise, and I hope out of this we maybe break the dam a bit on some Def Jux releases.

Honestly at the end of the day, I'm glad people get to check out Aesop that maybe wouldn't otherwise, and I hope out of this we maybe break the dam a bit on some Def Jux releases.

This is the way.

Hell, I'm not even a member these days, so whatever they choose doesn't actually matter I my world!

Discord chatter. Storf wasn't sure if there would be enough stock to put in swaps this month. Ultimately there was enough and it's in swaps right now, but the implication was don't expect it to stick around.
Dang, I need someone to tell me if this is better than the MOV.

The Blue Note Classic edition will be the best of them all and the easiest to get, so why not just grab that one?
Honestly, because nearly every single Blue Note classics I've gotten has been a disastrous pressing. It's like a lottery to find a good one. Yes the good ones are awesome, but it's taken me several tries every time.

Honestly, because nearly every single Blue Note classics I've gotten has been a disastrous pressing. It's like a lottery to find a good one. Yes the good ones are awesome, but it's taken me several tries every time.
Yeah that has been my experience as well but if you buy it from Amazon you can make sure you get a good one. As many issues as I’ve had with the BN classics I’d still take Optimal over GZ anyday and I’d take Kevin Gray over the any other engineer as well. So unless that MOV is also a Kevin Gray cut it seems like an easy choice to me. Buuuuuuut that’s just me. 😀

Yeah that has been my experience as well but if you buy it from Amazon you can make sure you get a good one. As many issues as I’ve had with the BN classics I’d still take Optimal over GZ anyday and I’d take Kevin Gray over the any other engineer as well. So unless that MOV is also a Kevin Gray cut it seems like an easy choice to me. Buuuuuuut that’s just me. 😀
It's more down to the fact that I'm almost certain the OG master is digital so it's only going to be so good, and the MOV is pretty good. But meh... we'll see...

It's more down to the fact that I'm almost certain the OG master is digital so it's only going to be so good, and the MOV is pretty good. But meh... we'll see...
Yeah I get that for sure, but if you are considering grabbing one of the new ones to compare to the MOV, KG has by far the best chance of beating it. But you know all of these things so I’ll stop trying to convince you. 🙂

First sighting (for me) of Madlib Blue Note Classics and it's priced such that I'm not regretting going with the VMP that much ($65+taxes).
It’s $56 at my local, but Amazon is still at $63. It’ll likely drop significantly in a month or two. One of the other 2LP BN classics that was released not too long ago is down to $45 currently. But if you really want it as soon as possible I guess the VMP might be cheaper now if you get it as an additional track and not your main one.

Whenever I refer to my semi-local, they are the ones.

Just got a sweet package from them two days ago that included a long and patiently awaited copy of Grant Green's Nigeria Tone Poet!

They are damn fine folks.
I mean I'm on the other side of the country and I've even ordered from them several times. They're great.

Thanks to this discussion i just placed a decent sized order from them. A lot of good shit a little on the harder to find side in their hip hop section. Thanks for putting me on to them.

Yeah, I love my local but these guys lean a little harder into my tastes - and seem to have a much better line on some of the "harder to find" stuff. I've also made out like a bandit with their blowout bin since they first introduced it last fall!

Yeah, I love my local but these guys lean a little harder into my tastes - and seem to have a much better line on some of the "harder to find" stuff. I've also made out like a bandit with their blowout bin since they first introduced it last fall!
Yeah, I was browsing through the entire hip hop section and saying "ooh yes thank you" as I hit the add to cart button. Not sure if honestly these are TRULY super hard to find (haven't seen many of these at locals and I know the Aesop isn't but time I pulled the trigger on it) but ended up with:

Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Vince Staples - S/T
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Souls of Mischief - 93 Till Infinity
Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

Pretty happy with that selection. I could've spent a lot more but I don't think hitting the $1000 mark over a month in vinyl would go over well.

Back