Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Some extremely random first albums I'd be down for:

Rjd2 - Deadringer
Slum Village - Fan-Tas-Tic (or Fantastic Vol. 2 depending how you want to order those)
Jon Doe - Meet Jon Doe (gonna plug this album every day 'til I die)
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers
No Malice - Hear Ye Him

Oh and for a fourth album what about Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped?

They've done some off-the-wall stuff for Essentials before. It would be pretty trollish of them to celebrate their 100th ROTM with one, though. On the other hand, 100 is just a number and it's not one they've particularly hyped up so far...

Essentials thread is thinking it's M.I.A. which is as good a guess as any.
Maybe mc solaar or something. Saying Mia is world music of any kind seems a stretch

Maybe mc solaar or something. Saying Mia is world music of any kind seems a stretch
From the wiki about kala
M.I.A. initially planned to work with American producer Timbaland for the bulk of the album, but was unable to gain a long-term work visa to enter the US. She hence recorded the album at numerous locations around the world, including India, Angola, Trinidad, Liberia, Jamaica and Australia. M.I.A. and Switch relied heavily on the digital audio workstation Logic Pro and recorded additional vocals and background sounds outside the traditional studio environment. Kala incorporates prominent influences from South Asian music, featuring samples of Bollywood and Tamil cinema. The album draws on various styles, from funk carioca to African folk. The songs are about political themes related to the Third World, including illegal immigration, poverty and capitalism.

Gonna have to start calling a lot of hip hop albums world rap if the qualifier is samples from other countries though.
But however strange the moniker world rap is i could see M.i.a. labeling this way because a) her Tamil background b) kalas recording in Asia, Africa and Australia, c)more world music influences than most rap music

Gonna have to start calling a lot of hip hop albums world rap if the qualifier is samples from other countries
But however strange the moniker world rap is i could see M.i.a. labeling this way because a) her Tamil background b) kalas recording in Asia, Africa and Australia, c)more world music influences than most rap
It’s just those early albums though, that’s not her whole ‘sound’, moving on to the likes of paper planes and bad girls. The worst gig I ever saw was Mia though, which was so bad she staged a mass stage invasion to end it early, so she’s not my fave

It’s just those early albums though, that’s not her whole ‘sound’, moving on to the likes of paper planes and bad girls. The worst gig I ever saw was Mia though, which was so bad she staged a mass stage invasion to end it early, so she’s not my fave
The fact that the only reason she has been in the news lately is for being an anti-vaxxer just makes it a big oof to me at the moment either way.

If terrible shows put me off music I don't think I'd ever touch the Foo Fighters discography again in my life. One drunken mess of a show that I would rather forget, next to Oasis but that was because someone decided to take out their aggression on one of the Gallagher's mid-set.

Last edited:
The fact that the only reason she has been in the news lately is for being an anti-vaxxer just makes it a big oof to me at the moment either way.
Had the Ian brown greatest vinyl in my cart for a while, and just can’t bring myself now

If terrible shows put me off music I don't think I'd ever touch the Foo Fighters discography again in my life. One drunken mess of a show that I would rather forget, next to Oasis but that was because someone decided to take out their aggression on one of the Gallagher's mid-set.
Don’t disagree, doomposter springs to mind. She had just been built up into this incendiary force of nature in the press, and it was just really boring and flat

If we are going with debuts I'm always going to advocate for The War Report.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! I would absolutely love for that to happen! Another few debut hip-hop album I would love to see be a R&HH ROTM would be Dizzee Rascal’s Boy In Da Corner, Bahamadia’s Kollage and Mos Def’s Black On Both Sides! 😍🙏

In terms of hip-hop albums that are the 4th in an artists’ or groups discography, I’d love to see Mos Def’s The Ecstatic!!!! That would be AMAZING! I’m really hoping it’s Mos Def so then it likely means that Black On Both Sides becomes an Essentials ROTM in the future! 😍🤞

I can’t wait to see the reveal for the next Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM’s!!!!!! I’m joyfully jumping up and down in my head as if I’m in a mosh pit!!! Imagine if we get Playboi Carti’s Die Lit or Kendrick Lamar’s Section.80 or Isaiah Rashad’s Cilvia Demo as a R&HH ROTM!!! 😍😍😍😱😱😱🙉🙉🙉🌟🌟🌟🙏🙏🙏

If we are going with debuts I'm always going to advocate for The War Report.
By my reckoning it's been 7 months since the last Tommy Boy album so we're probably overdue one... so I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the next 3 is Tommy Boy/Penalty... House of Pain, Digital Underground, Naughty by Nature and CNN would all be up there as candidates if that were the case

By my reckoning it's been 7 months since the last Tommy Boy album so we're probably overdue one... so I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the next 3 is Tommy Boy/Penalty... House of Pain, Digital Underground, Naughty by Nature and CNN would all be up there as candidates if that were the case
The only question is does VMP want to go into the Tommy Boy well again? Seems like both times they did it there was tons of backlash that came back their way, even if neither was really their fault. Makes you wonder if it is even worth going that route again.

Another debut that has been mentioned every time we get one is Pusha T - My Name Is My Name. Would be another good one imo.

The only question is does VMP want to go into the Tommy Boy well again? Seems like both times they did it there was tons of backlash that came back their way, even if neither was really their fault. Makes you wonder if it is even worth going that route again.

Another debut that has been mentioned every time we get one is Pusha T - My Name Is My Name. Would be another good one imo.
I get that argument but I imagine most of these releases are locked in at least a year in advance so they aren't really in a position to react to feedback that quickly... I also think that Tommy Boy seems to be one of the few routes into 90's hip-hop that they have (maybe the majors are holding their 90's stuff back for their own releases?) so it may not be that they have many alternatives when it comes to 90's material...

I also have a nagging feeling that I saw images somewhere of Treach and Vinnie in a studio getting 19 Naughty III remastered a year or two back for a 'special release' and that release hasn't materialised yet so I'm half expecting that to be a VMP release at some point... which wouldn't be a terrible choice by any means...

Back