Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

If Killer Mike didn't sell out in its first month, I'd be very surprised if Quasimoto does so.

I can't think of the last time a ROTM was gone after the first month. Gabor Szabo ALMOST sold out and was in swaps the following month for about 5 minutes, but that's probably it. Coleman Hawkins has never been in swaps, but I suspect that is because they don't want to put it back out until they get replacement covers.
Quasimoto would definitely be more popular than Killer Mike! Target audience is way more Quasimoto/Madlib in comparison and Wuasimoto has more than 3x the amount of monthly listeners compared to Killer Mike on Spotify! Madlib/Quasimoto is definitely more popular . Plus...MF DOOM connection! Look at how popular MM...FOOD has been as a R&HH ROTM!

Quasimoto would definitely be more popular than Killer Mike! Target audience is way more Quasimoto/Madlib in comparison and Wuasimoto has more than 3x the amount of monthly listeners compared to Killer Mike on Spotify! Madlib/Quasimoto is definitely more popular . Plus...MF DOOM connection! Look at how popular MM...FOOD has been as a R&HH ROTM!

dont underestimate the RTJ hype ( that ill never understand at all ) .

I don't feel confident in your conviction with that statement. Notice that you used exclamation points to end every sentence except that one. Are you trying to convince us or yourself - because your punctuation tells the real tale!

dont underestimate the RTJ hype ( that ill never understand at all ) .
Do you not like RTJ or do you feel that the hype is a bit much relative to overall choices? Obviously your name is in reference to Aesop Rock, so I'd assume your interests are at least tangentially aligned w/ DJX and El-p....does RTJ not do it for you?

Do you not like RTJ or do you feel that the hype is a bit much relative to overall choices? Obviously your name is in reference to Aesop Rock, so I'd assume your interests are at least tangentially aligned w/ DJX and El-p....does RTJ not do it for you?
yeah. does nothing for me. thats ok.

i can see why its popular though.
maybe im just bitter thaz DefJux EL-P is long gone.

I don't feel confident in your conviction with that statement. Notice that you used exclamation points to end every sentence except that one. Are you trying to convince us or yourself - because your punctuation tells the real tale!
Because I was being DEAD SERIOUS when I said that Madlib/Quasimoto is more popular!!!!!! 💯

yeah. does nothing for me. thats ok.

i can see why its popular though.
maybe im just bitter thaz DefJux EL-P is long gone.
DJX was one of the first labels I got into....by which I mean, not just artist but legit would prob scope out most releases they put out. I was in my early-twenties when they were a dominant force. It also seemed in general there was a huge amount of label-centric (or at least collectives, if not labels per se) things going on in the early 2000's.

I like what El has done with his style and not in a comparison way with his old style - that it's better or worse, but just that it's different. I'm glad that DJX El-p is long gone. Not 'cause it was bad but b/c when I want that El, it still exists as in its moment. I want his old shit, I buy his old album - to paraphrase.

My personal feelings is that his production - while still not in any way mainstream - has cleaned up over the years. FanDam-era he was working w/ a lot less tools (in fact, FanDam he lists what he used and it's a very short list w/ a few Korgs on it, etc). But I prefer the old production. I like that jagged, unpolished sound he had - like drinking unpasteurized milk. Lyrically, I think influence from other MCs has made his flow tighter and that I think has benefited him. He used to be more stream-of-conscious and I don't mind that in spurts but as an overall style I wonder if that's a style choice or b/c you've no other style. I think of Rob Sonic - Sanity Annex w/ Sonic Sum was great but after than there was diminishing returns - by HMM I just wanted him to shut up and let Aes handle the heavy-lifting.

Any way, I'm rambling at this point (stream-of-conscious typing, ya know?).

So anything with exclamation points lacks seriousness? Hmmmm.....:unsure:!!!!!!!

You do use a lot of exclamation points. Your musical opinions are finally beginning to make sense. You're a parody account....I knew it!
Yes! The exclamation marks is just me being light and fun and energetic! When Baby Monster puts a full stop, then you know shit is getting real! 😂🛑👀

Haha I’m not sure what a parody account is, but I’ll roll with it! 🤫🥴🤷‍♂️🙊

Haha I’m not sure what a parody account is, but I’ll roll with it! 🤫🥴🤷‍♂️🙊
It would be like if I started a Twitter account called @TheRealDonaldDump and only did tweets about my bowel movements but with the voicing of Trump; or if my account was set up as if I was one of Trump's anthropomorphized dumps and all I did was go on diatribes about draining the swamp ('cause, ya know, I'm a poo and all).

Yeah, I'm just not feeling Quasi.... I've tried listening to it the last couple of weeks several times. I usually start to lose interest about 20-25 minutes in and then think "Wow, there's still 45 minutes left!"... Guess it's just not for me. Which is fine, I'm happy for those that are really enjoying it, I'm just not seeing the appeal... at least not enough to drop $33 on this.

Because I was being DEAD SERIOUS when I said that Madlib/Quasimoto is more popular!!!!!! 💯
How do you figure? RTJ has had more charting albums and are much more recent than a Lord Quas album. Sure Madlib is well known but the popularity of Bandana doesn't directly translate to a Quasimoto album. And even Bandana and Pinata were lower on the charts than RTJ.

I don't think the Killer Mike album is as popular, but I'll take it over all the RTJ albums personally.

Not feeling Quas either anymore unfortunately. It clicked for me a few weeks back when I listened to it while high, but every time I’ve listened to it sober I can’t make it more than half way through.

Not sure I need a record that I’d only enjoy high, I don’t smoke all that often either. Sticking with The Strokes, and swapping Frederick for Billie Holiday.

For anyone unaware, I pretty sure the Quasimodo alter ego was created after Madlib went on, from what a I remember reading so many years ago, a week long psilocybin mushroom adventure.

“Where’s your will to be weird?”

Not feeling Quas either anymore unfortunately. It clicked for me a few weeks back when I listened to it while high, but every time I’ve listened to it sober I can’t make it more than half way through.

Not sure I need a record that I’d only enjoy high, I don’t smoke all that often either. Sticking with The Strokes, and swapping Frederick for Billie Holiday.
I think that's part of my problem. I don't smoke weed (never have)- no judgement on those who do, and this record just doesn't work for me. There are plenty of drug influenced records that I enjoy, but there are also others that just don't click for me.. this is one of them.

I think that's part of my problem. I don't smoke weed (never have)- no judgement on those who do, and this record just doesn't work for me. There are plenty of drug influenced records that I enjoy, but there are also others that just don't click for me.. this is one of them.
Yup. I own plenty of records that I love to listen to while high or tripping. But I also like listening to those when I’m NOT doing drugs as well. That’s the difference here for me.

Back