Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I'm really on the fence on Tical but leaning on the cancelling for the month. But I'm also nervous that there will be a lockout when there's one later that I'll want
Same boat here. I wasn't planning on getting Tical, but assumed it would be an option. Now I'm worried I'll never be able to get back into R&HH. I'm thinking of keeping my Classics going for the same reason. I'm wondering if this is part of their business model. With Outkast and now Tical, people will get FOMO, so they keep their subscription when a lesser release comes out for fear of missing out on something they really want. I'm not super stoked for Bobo in Classics this month, but I'm worried next month will be a big one, and I won't be able to get back in if I drop....This way they can maximize their subs on the side subs even for lesser months.

Same boat here. I wasn't planning on getting Tical, but assumed it would be an option. Now I'm worried I'll never be able to get back into R&HH. I'm thinking of keeping my Classics going for the same reason. I'm wondering if this is part of their business model. With Outkast and now Tical, people will get FOMO, so they keep their subscription when a lesser release comes out for fear of missing out on something they really want. I'm not super stoked for Bobo in Classics this month, but I'm worried next month will be a big one, and I won't be able to get back in if I drop....This way they can maximize their subs on the side subs even for lesser months.
Yeah I’m thinking about just re upping subs later in the month and canceling the subs I don’t want before the 1st if I don’t like the picks. Or swapping. Probably should’ve just done that in the first place though.

I certainly don't think it's a malicious intent with the lack of availability, it's just ineptitude.

I think they just struggle with demand projections which is somewhat understandable. This wouldn't be a big deal if the entire vinyl industry wasn't moving at a glacial pace, but unfortunately it is. If the demand for Tical is too low for a repress but a sizable enough number, I bet they would be pissed too, because that would mean they are losing the extra cash bump they get from those new customers enticed by Tical. As far as I understand any recuring revenue based business like VMP, they're constantly trying to engage new customers to get them on the same train we're all riding already. All the ad spend they will do promoting the RHH track is essentially useless since it's already sold out, and they can't solidly gain any more unless they do a repress. This current situation is probably even more stressful for them than the OutKast one, because they can't chalk it up to "crazy demand".

I certainly don't think it's a malicious intent with the lack of availability, it's just ineptitude.

I think they just struggle with demand projections which is somewhat understandable. This wouldn't be a big deal if the entire vinyl industry wasn't moving at a glacial pace, but unfortunately it is. If the demand for Tical is too low for a repress but a sizable enough number, I bet they would be pissed too, because that would mean they are losing the extra cash bump they get from those new customers enticed by Tical. As far as I understand any recuring revenue based business like VMP, they're constantly trying to engage new customers to get them on the same train we're all riding already. All the ad spend they will do promoting the RHH track is essentially useless since it's already sold out, and they can't solidly gain any more unless they do a repress. This current situation is probably even more stressful for them than the OutKast one, because they can't chalk it up to "crazy demand".

Nah, they don't want to sell 15,000 copies of RHH- they want Tical to end up $70 on discogs and all the current subs to be locked into foMO fear and lock in getting all the releases- so they can show off a pretty little capacity subscription list and healthy waitlist trying to get in to some venture capitalists for a big sell off to get paid and move on.

I don't think VMP is interested in selling as many records as they can. If so they are terrible at it.

Wow.. Shaker from DWG .. haven't spoken to you in years. Here is a resident rappy expert people~ Good job on the Ron B reissue. Was a little surprised to see Bob didn't do that one.

Thanks, yeah it was good to finally get that one out, long overdue... and as you mention it I did actually check with Bob beforehand to make sure it wasn't in his pipeline...

vmp forums
giphy.gif

Forgive me if this was already posted...

I won't be picking this up but I will give this a play (basically the prequel to How Many Licks)

Well good on you. What brings you to the vmp forums of all places though??
Been a VMP subscriber for a few years now, like to keep my ear to the street in terms of what other labels are doing... VMP do get it right occasionally but they could do so much better with the access and financial muscle they have... such a shame really

Back