Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Get On Down have pressed a lot of these over the last 10 years. They even did a really cool chessboard collectors set (I got the cd version not vinyl) but Get On Downs pressings are notoriously bad. I have heard from folk the Marvel variant sounds excellent if you don't mind the alternative artwork (as cool as it is, as much as i like marvel, personally prefer to have the OG artwork)

This pressing might be the one to check out
Can confirm the 2 LP Marvel on clear sounds great.

Get On Down have pressed a lot of these over the last 10 years. They even did a really cool chessboard collectors set (I got the cd version not vinyl) but Get On Downs pressings are notoriously bad. I have heard from folk the Marvel variant sounds excellent if you don't mind the alternative artwork (as cool as it is, as much as i like marvel, personally prefer to have the OG artwork)

I have the standard pressing, the Marvel, and the GoD chess box.

I will say, GoD’s notoriously bad rep seems more recent - like the last couple of years. I have some from years back that sound good. The box set is an example. It sounds great and has instrumentals too. The actual chess set would’ve been cooler if the pieces were“Shaolin” inspired but they’re dinky pieces.

The Marvel is good. Cool lenticular cover. My thing about a lot of hip hop is that vinyl is cool as a collector, but if you have a decent set up the CD is gonna sound just as good (and sometimes better). And, yes, I have it on CD too

I have the standard pressing, the Marvel, and the GoD chess box.

I will say, GoD’s notoriously bad rep seems more recent - like the last couple of years. I have some from years back that sound good. The box set is an example. It sounds great and has instrumentals too. The actual chess set would’ve been cooler if the pieces were“Shaolin” inspired but they’re dinky pieces.

The Marvel is good. Cool lenticular cover. My thing about a lot of hip hop is that vinyl is cool as a collector, but if you have a decent set up the CD is gonna sound just as good (and sometimes better). And, yes, I have it on CD too
Yeah i agree. I dont have an amazing setup. Probably over 90% of my vinyl is hiphop too so I am in no way an audiophile at all. I dont have or put in enough listening hours to justify an expensive set up so what i have works for me. I just like to collect & spin shit sometimes but there is certain pressings I've got that have been absolutely awful and I've hated too. Would hate to point someone in the direction of those lol

I was just thinking, what if storf is so annoyed by us that he decided to fuck with us and purposely used the worn genius to throw us off lmao or maybe just made this whole clue up lmao.

are get on down pressings really that bad

are get on down pressings really that bad
I Actually honestly don't know. I have a couple myself like czarface ones, Clipse etc & I dont recall anything majorly wrong with them but they have a terrible reputation in forums and on discogs which puts me off buying more these days tbh 🤔

I Actually honestly don't know. I have a couple myself like czarface ones, Clipse etc & I dont recall anything majorly wrong with them but they have a terrible reputation in forums and on discogs which puts me off buying more these days tbh 🤔
I don't think they have a reputation of being terrible like Plain/4MWB but they are nothing special. Not sure now but they used to retail >$30 and they aren't better than any decent $20 reissues. I have the Liquid Swords and it's fine. OG may be better.

I don't thing they have a reputation of being terrible like Plain/4MWB but they are nothing special. Not sure now but they used to retail >$30 and they aren't better than any decent $20 reissues. I have the Liquid Swords and it's fine. OG may be better.
I'm actually sure I own a bunch of their stuff but I bought it all years ago way before I used to really look into these things. Just blind buying stuff I loved all the time. Nearly sure my Supreme Clientele, Liquid Swords and i actually know my OB4CL is get on down too. I dont recall ever thinking oh that sounds awful but again I'm not an audiophile

I don't thing they have a reputation of being terrible like Plain/4MWB but they are nothing special. Not sure now but they used to retail >$30 and they aren't better than any decent $20 reissues. I have the Liquid Swords and it's fine. OG may be better.
The Czarface GoD is actually quite good. The NaS It Was Written (both clear & black) was shit - TBH, my OG copy isn't that great. Hmmm...Supreme Clientele was alright. Have the OB4C but found the MOV to be better but GoD not bad. The Stillmatic Re from RSD was good. Wondering how they'll do with God's Son upcoming.

i dunno what is get on down and what is not.. its hard to know on bullmoose
It's probably not. I believe the 2015 is one of the Respect the Classics series. If I'm correct (and Discogs will confirm), GoD only ever did the box set and colored versions. If it is a standard black then it shouldn't be.

Back