Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Didn't scroll back too far, but y'all see the Salt N Peppa write up from Storf?

Most discussions of the album begin and end with "Let's Talk About Sex," arguably one of the most important rap songs with regards to sexual politics

It's more political than you remember!
I don't really understand why it is arguably one of the most important. Isn't the message just sex shouldn't be taboo and you could get an STD? Not like it was the first hip hop song to do that. Certainly a good message though.

For the Awakening ROTM, it seems that it’s simply a color variant of the 1995 pressing. Re-reading all of the info about it, there’s no mention of new plates or remaster. And the mastering engineer is the same guy who did the OG.

looks like this and BVSC are both just reissues sadly with nothing really new about them outside of the color.

For the Awakening ROTM, it seems that it’s simply a color variant of the 1995 pressing. Re-reading all of the info about it, there’s no mention of new plates or remaster. And the mastering engineer is the same guy who did the OG.

looks like this and BVSC are both just reissues sadly with nothing really new about them outside of the color.
That makes me afraid they just copied and pasted the info, but who knows, if it was originally mastered at Sterling that would probably be the best case anyway. I don't think I've heard of a 90s hip hop reissue that sounds better than an OG either. I'd love to hear some good recs if people have.

Edit: If that were true, then why purposely change the labels?

Editedit: Oh, the original was DMM. They probably used the original digital master and got it DMM at GZ. I doubt GZ will cut a side as long as Actual Facts would require without a disclaimer saying it would sound bad.

Last edited:
That makes me afraid they just copied and pasted the info, but who knows, if it was originally mastered at Sterling that would probably be the best case anyway. I don't think I've heard of a 90s hip hop reissue that sounds better than an OG either. I'd love to hear some good recs if people have.

Edit: If that were true, then why purposely change the labels?

Editedit: Oh, the original was DMM. They definitely used the original digital master and got it DMM at GZ.
Yep to your edit— That seems to be the case.

In that case it better have Actual Facts on it.

Didn't scroll back too far, but y'all see the Salt N Peppa write up from Storf?

Most discussions of the album begin and end with "Let's Talk About Sex," arguably one of the most important rap songs with regards to sexual politics

It's more political than you remember!
Previewing the 4th sub I see. Storfs guide to politics in music.

Is this gonna be a hot take? I think out of the two Roots albums we got, How I Got Over was/is the better album but received more backlash for some reason.

Also think the actual record sounds fanTASTIC.
I definitely preferred Phrenology! 🧠

There was backlash with the How I Got Over pick, because it was an album that could be purchased for around USD$12 brand new! The VMP pressing sounds better than the standard and it looks amazing, so it’s a great R&HH ROTM for sure! 🥂

Is this gonna be a hot take? I think out of the two Roots albums we got, How I Got Over was/is the better album but received more backlash for some reason.

Also think the actual record sounds fanTASTIC.
personally i disagree but it is a good pick... phrenology had a lot more energy and a more fun sound to it. personally if they were going with any roots album for R&HH i would hope it would be something like game theory or things fall apart

Back