Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Isn't every Coolio single a cover of a Lakeside or Stevie Wonder song... didn't get the appeal then and still don't
Not they they are comparable really at all beyond this but you could say that about P-Funk and/or Zapp and Chronic era Dr. Dre too. I was introduced to TON of 1970s Funk via the West Coast G-Funk movement. Most of it is not subtle in what it’s borrowing from.

Last edited:
Not they they are comparable really at all beyond this but you could say that about P-Funk and/or Zapp and Chronic era Dr. Dre too. I was introduced to TON of 1970s Funk via the West Coast G-Funk movement. Most of it is not subtle in what it borrowing from.

I get the comparison. You could throw in some Ice Cube and some other artists as well, but where Bop Gun felt like a tribute and uplifting of P-Funk, Coolio just felt like a replica to me.

I don't really care about the Chronic or post Amerikkkas most Cube either - don't shoot me.

I get the comparison. You could throw in some Ice Cube and some other artists as well, but where Bop Gun felt like a tribute and uplifting of P-Funk, Coolio just felt like a replica to me.

I don't really care about the Chronic or post Amerikkkas most Cube either - don't shoot me.
I get that, I always wonder if I was older and grew up with those 1970s funk albums how I would feel about G-Funk. As it was I was in my pre/early teens when a lot of this music dropped and completely ignorant to many of these songs in their original context. It’s actually been kinda fun as an adult as I explored Funk more to discover the sources of these samples.

I get that, I always wonder if I was older and grew up with those 1970s funk albums how I would feel about G-Funk. As it was I was in my pre/early teens when a lot of this music dropped and completely ignorant to many of these songs in their original context. It’s actually been kinda fun as an adult as I explored Funk more to discover the sources of these samples.

Absolutely, and tbf to Coolio I'm sure a lot of people learned who Lakeside was because of fantastic voyage.

It's one of the things that's so important about hip-hop. I probably would've never listened to jazz or taken jazz classes or known about the Panthers and on and on without the music. I didn't think about the Stones or Elvis appropriating black music and culture for profit until PE. I will always be grateful for that learning.

That's also why (in-part) VMP's taste has been mediocre to me.

I didn't think about the Stones or Elvis appropriating black music and culture for profit until PE. I will always be grateful for that.
Totally agree, though I will stick up for the Stones as they were always very open about musical influences and used their fame to shine a spotlight on many of theirfavorite African American blues artists. Elvis... not so much.

Last edited:
I just need this track to be good because I dunno what else id swap for since classics isn't worth it this month compared to an og

Remember when Coolio didn't know Weird Al was gonna parody his hit song, then he got pissed at Al?

Who handles Mowax these days? Regardless, I think based on Storf's clue it'd be something more obvious.

It's a shame, those early DJ Krush records are in need of reissues.
I think they have connections with island? Does seem to be a long shot

I'm fine with it being Collio. I dont really need to spend the money so vmp making the choice for me to save my money is actually really helpful.
This is completely the same logic that I have! I've been contemplating dropping the sub for ages (been part of it since the beginning) but honestly, it does nothing for me anymore other than the occasional release which peaks my interest. If its Coolio I will 100% be dropping.

You know what would be a dope 90’s Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM!?

Busta Rhymes - The Coming

The production is awesome on that album! It’s got the easy-coast booming underground sound, but the beats are innovative, groovy and still sound fresh! The features on the album are great, and I love the more mellow cuts on the album too - especially “It’s A Party” featuring Zhané and “I’ll Vibe” featuring Q-Tip! Flipmode Squad meets Def Squad is such a great posse cut too!

Back