Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

like the VMP hip hop head seems to lean more towards the weird, more super mainstream trap a la migos or future or hell maybe even gucci mane and TI may be the shit to them but a lot of people aren't as big on them..

meanwhile if they do Danny Brown it seems out ASAP.. noname gave birth to this track, denzel is a fast seller and i still wish we got the peggy exclusive.

there is a middle ground between mainstream and avant garde that i think would both satisfy VMPs growth plans and the N+G audience easy and thats the weird but mainstream artist who is beloved and cult famous. i love that you mentioned travis scott and playboi carti, people want die lit on vinyl badly and travis solo albums would work great for them, but i also want to mention other people who can work like lil uzi vert and the most obvious, young thug. they sold thugger exclusives 3 times and 2 times it sold out in a day and the final one was super close.. if they release so much fun as a ROTM they will make BANK off that thing
Exactly Dukey!!! And I knowwww, really wish we got that Peggy exclusive too! 😩

Like when Storf said JPEGMAFIA’s “All My Heroes Are Cornballs” was in his opinion, the best rap album of 2019, I got real excited!!! 🥴 Now it’s just like 🥱 thinking about it!

Exactly Dukey!!! And I knowwww, really wish we got that Peggy exclusive too! 😩

Like when Storf said JPEGMAFIA’s “All My Heroes Are Cornballs” was in his opinion, the best rap album of 2019, I got real excited!!! 🥴 Now it’s just like 🥱 thinking about it!
also legit thugger worked with VMP 3 times to do exclusives, they are clearly in high demand. give up so much fun on green or red vinyl, and if you make it a R&HH ROTM people will want it and you wont have to worry about it selling out in a day, since you will have thousands of them prepared for a record people really like

FWIW, this subscription should be a combination of classics that need a reissue and can be done well (ie Juvenile's 400 Degreez or OutKast), albums that flew under the radar but are really good (Blackalicious), or interesting new albums or new to vinyl (Saba, Ivy Sole, and a lot of the other ones we advocate for).

It just has been all over the map this year.

FWIW, this subscription should be a combination of classics that need a reissue and can be done well (ie Juvenile's 400 Degreez or OutKast), albums that flew under the radar but are really good (Blackalicious), or interesting new albums or new to vinyl (Saba, Ivy Sole, and a lot of the other ones we advocate for).

Mmmmmmmmmm! Omg, I can’t wait for the OutKast Essentials ROTM this year!!!!!

Isaiah Rashad is perfect for artists that fly under the radar and something new to vinyl!

You know, like imagine if they did something like CunninLynguists “A Piece Of Strange” or Slum Village’s “Fantastic, Vol 2”. Like they’re the kind of hip-hop that will sell really well and they are albums people will purchase who wouldn’t necessarily get the R&HH ROTM!

Like, I want a quality reissue and pressing of Bahamadia’s Kollage, Mos Def’s Black On Both Sides and Warren G’s Regulate...G Funk Era! Not NERD’s Fly Or Die lol

Mmmmmmmmmm! Omg, I can’t wait for the OutKast Essentials ROTM this year!!!!!

Like, I want a quality reissue and pressing of Bahamadia’s Kollage, Mos Def’s Black On Both Sides and Warren G’s Regulate...G Funk Era! Not NERD’s Fly Or Die lol

This just made me stream Warren G' Regulate album, I hadn't listened to it in years. Really amazing record. 🥂 Are there any old pressings of this that can be recommended at all?

Everyone's different i suppose. I've hated some choices that were popular in here (Knxwledge)
and been absolutely thrilled with choices that people in here didn't like at all(T.I. Future). I know how quick an album sells can say a lot but I guess they cant please everybody all of the time. Snoop Dogg stuck around for an age, that record was beautiful and is an absolute classic. I think there is a massive overreaction to this Future record though personally.
Here is the R&HH release list so far its pretty diverse tbf
It is hard to swallow when a month is "bad" to you personally because you get ecstatic about the clues then deflated when you realise it isn't what you want, I was like that with my new SNP frisbee I'm still waiting on but there is always next month my friends ❤

This just made me stream Warren G' Regulate album, I hadn't listened to it in years. Really amazing record. 🥂 Are there any old pressings of this that can be recommended at all?
Here is the one I have and I love it. About 5 years ago Snoop reposted it from my IG (and the cd and vinyl are raised on the table with soft clean sponge it just doesn't appear that way before anyone is horrified lol)
Screenshot_20200522-094005_Instagram.jpg

I'm gonna stick my neck out for Teflon Don as for some reason it's clicked on wax like it never did for me streaming. Perhaps just down to the setup and better sound but I really never cared for it before yet have spun it 3 times in the past two days since arrival. Side B absolutely bangs. Like I can't laud Ross for any one thing directly but everything somehow comes together to deliver something that I can't help but feel and vibe with.

Think being a relatively new member has had its virtues as I've picked up Phrenology, Blazing Arrow, King and Very Necessary so far through swaps and catch up so any drought isn't felt.

Doubt I'll be saying the same for Honest though so it's off to the Classics track this month.

I'm gonna stick my neck out for Teflon Don as for some reason it's clicked on wax like it never did for me streaming. Perhaps just down to the setup and better sound but I really never cared for it before yet have spun it 3 times in the past two days since arrival. Side B absolutely bangs. Like I can't laud Ross for any one thing directly but everything somehow comes together to deliver something that I can't help but feel and vibe with.

Think being a relatively new member has had its virtues as I've picked up Phrenology, Blazing Arrow, King and Very Necessary so far through swaps and catch up so any drought isn't felt.

Doubt I'll be saying the same for Honest though so it's off to the Classics track this month.
Teflon Don had almost the same disappointment rate in here as Future did initially. It really wasn't until TD start being delivered to people and they spun it that they started to properly enjoy it. Its a beautiful vinyl package overall and brilliant to spin. People were saying things like "i can't imagine anyone who would want to add a rick ross vinyl to their collection" but i've got several and i enjoy them all. There is a sort of "uggh rick ross" feeling across social media but when people actually play his stuff they end up feeling the opposite its odd

Teflon Don had almost the same disappointment rate in here as Future did initially. It really wasn't until TD start being delivered to people and they spun it that they started to properly enjoy it. Its a beautiful vinyl package overall and brilliant to spin. People were saying things like "i can't imagine anyone who would want to add a rick ross vinyl to their collection" but i've got several and i enjoy them all. There is a sort of "uggh rick ross" feeling across social media but when people actually play his stuff they end up feeling the opposite its odd
Yeh I can get that. I think his persona gets in his way a lot when it comes to some people giving him more of a shot than they might be willing. He's definitely not hitting at the same level as others they could pick but it's easily digestible and sometimes you just want to throw something on for that larger than life no-fucks vibe.

I'd take the same lesson for Future but I haven't been a fan of any of his solo work I've tried whereas with Ross I've always liked a number of his hits and his appearances. Something about the Ross "huh" that clicks I guess! The VMP Honest looks beautifully put together though and I'm glad people that are hyped for it are getting that. If I enjoyed it I'd be really looking forward to getting it in the post with the way it looks.

Yeh I can get that. I think his persona gets in his way a lot when it comes to some people giving him more of a shot than they might be willing. He's definitely not hitting at the same level as others they could pick but it's easily digestible and sometimes you just want to throw something on for that larger than life no-fucks vibe.

I'd take the same lesson for Future but I haven't been a fan of any of his solo work I've tried whereas with Ross I've always liked a number of his hits and his appearances. Something about the Ross "huh" that clicks I guess! The VMP Honest looks beautifully put together though and I'm glad people that are hyped for it are getting that. If I enjoyed it I'd be really looking forward to getting it in the post with the way it looks.
I'm a bigger Future fan than I am of Ross but admittedly Future is harder to digest than Ross. Some people just can't click with Future at all. My partner for example she loves Travis Scott but isnt too keen on Future . Feels his vocal sounds like he is constantly repeating himself, the song that broke the camels back there was Drakes "Grammys" and its hard to argue with that one tbf 🤣 . While DS2 is the album I recommend to people when talking about Future as its his magnum opus I actually feel like Honest is probably his most polished and easily accessible release to date. Its got more rnb influences than anything else he has brought out and less "mumbling" for the want of a better description (I hate calling him mumble because I'm tuned to his vocal and I know he isn't but alot of folk disagree)

While DS2 is the album I recommend to people when talking about Future as its his magnum opus I actually feel like Honest is probably his most polished and easily accessible release to date. Its got more rnb influences than anything else he has brought out and less "mumbling" for the want of a better description
I think that is actually what I don't like about it, how much pop rap polish is on it, future is best for me when he is heavy and angsty and the kind of gangster using gang shit to hide clear sadness and heartbreak, that's why some slow songs like blood on the money work so well since it's clearly him not happy about what he's doing but it's what he's used to

I think that is actually what I don't like about it, how much pop rap polish is on it, future is best for me when he is heavy and angsty and the kind of gangster using gang shit to hide clear sadness and heartbreak, that's why some slow songs like blood on the money work so well since it's clearly him not happy about what he's doing but it's what he's used to
I can dig this 🔥

I'm a bigger Future fan than I am of Ross but admittedly Future is harder to digest than Ross. Some people just can't click with Future at all. My partner for example she loves Travis Scott but isnt too keen on Future . Feels his vocal sounds like he is constantly repeating himself, the song that broke the camels back there was Drakes "Grammys" and its hard to argue with that one tbf 🤣 . While DS2 is the album I recommend to people when talking about Future as its his magnum opus I actually feel like Honest is probably his most polished and easily accessible release to date. Its got more rnb influences than anything else he has brought out and less "mumbling" for the want of a better description (I hate calling him mumble because I'm tuned to his vocal and I know he isn't but alot of folk disagree)
Interesting, appreciate your insights. I suppose you could question just how much I've attempted to give Future a chance outside of just coming across his stuff and not being keen, but everything I played including a few from Honest, hasn't done anything to amend that. I'll give it and DS2 a full shot in advance of picks opening though, on the off chance something falls into place 🥂

Interesting, appreciate your insights. I suppose you could question just how much I've attempted to give Future a chance outside of just coming across his stuff and not being keen, but everything I played including a few from Honest, hasn't done anything to amend that. I'll give it and DS2 a full shot in advance of picks opening though, on the off chance something falls into place 🥂
His 2015 run ds2 and several mixtapes was incredible. Anything after Honest and before Evol is definitely worth trying. 56 nights is 🔥 but he may not be for you. I'm gladd your being open minded though ❤

i have a big hunch that future is gonna stay on for a good few months...

probably even longer seeing as their older future exclusives failed badly

DS2 stayed in the store for a huge time even though thugger sells out in a day

and HNDRXX which storf said would sell out fast if they ever did do it (and then they did), ended up stuck in sales limbo for a little while
Times have changed, DS2 can be hard to find on vinyl and Honest is easier to digest than Hndrxx. I agree it'll be around for a few months but definitely not forever

Last edited:

Sounds like you should start up a Rap and Hip Hip vinyl subscription! Because that's clearly not what VMP believes the subscription should be.

Back