Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I’m sorry that people rightfully telling you your take on an entire genre is way off base makes you sad. It’s okay to feel sad sometimes.
Hahahaha.

By all means, pretend that hip hop doesn’t have a misogyny problem or a groupthink problem. It’s not isolated to hip hop - I’m also a big fan of punk and that’s a genre that has similar problems with a narrow set of standard themes.

If you can’t look at the things you love and see the problems with them, that’s on you, chief.

Hahahaha.

By all means, pretend that hip hop doesn’t have a misogyny problem or a groupthink problem. It’s not isolated to hip hop - I’m also a big fan of punk and that’s a genre that has similar problems with a narrow set of standard themes.

If you can’t look at the things you love and see the problems with them, that’s on you, chief.
So looking at things you love and critiquing them = blatantly ignoring enormous portions of that thing that don't suffer from those problems and overgeneralizing and stereotyping an entire genre in a way that comes across as literally identical to the uninformed view of my father, who has never willingly listened to a rap song in his life?

View attachment 48366
Come on.

I love hip hop. its been around for 40 years. That makes it younger than many other genres.It took a while to get going, in recorded form. And are you actually going to tell me that a massive percentage of hip hop songs aren’t about 1) being a very good mc, 2) engaging incriminal activity, 3) owning luxury goods procured through criminal activity or 4) bitches?
IDM is only about 30 years old and there are a ton of different sounds ranging from Autechre to Four Tet to Jan Jelinek to Burial

examples of artists who rarely or dont talk about gang shit, being the best, or bitches:
De La Soul
Grandmaster Flash
MF doom
KRS one
Public Enemy
The Roots
Common
Earl Sweatshirt
MIKE
Digable Planets

and no offense to @juiceless

i understand he is more just talking about mainstream hip hop and the fact that there is definitely misogyny in hip hop.. i just dont like how he basically applies this to ALL hip hop when there are entire underground scenes talking about more and more shit

IDM is only about 30 years old and there are a ton of different sounds ranging from Autechre to Four Tet to Jan Jelinek to Burial

examples of artists who rarely or dont talk about gang shit, being the best, or bitches:
De La Soul
Grandmaster Flash
MF doom
KRS one
Public Enemy
The Roots
Common
Earl Sweatshirt
MIKE
Digable Planets
Surely you understand the difference between “a lot” and “all”, yes?

Surely you understand the difference between “a lot” and “all”, yes?
the issue is that you called hip hop "homogeneous" which implies you were saying "all"

homogeneity means there is only one thing, all being the same kind.. so what you said was all hip hop sounds the same and does the same subject matter, when hip hop has had an alternative side giving different perspectives since the VERY beginning with acts like grandmaster flash stopping the simple party songs to talk about the serious issues of the black community

Would you say it's political?

/Jk
"My man is smooth like Barry and his voice got bass
A body like Arnold with a Denzel face
He's smart like a doctor with a real good rep
And when he comes home he's relaxed with Pep
He always got a gift for me every time I see him
A lot of snot-nosed ex-flames couldn't be him"

Sounds politically sexy to me.

OK, y'all need to CHILL OUT.

I'm not exaggerating when I say about 90% of the reports on this forum are from the Hip Hop threads (usually this one). I don't know what it is about either the music or the people who post here, but it's easily the largest source of drama, and that's saying something given the fact that we have many threads that are about much more sensitive topics.

If everyone can't play nice we might have to do something about it. So behave.

OK, y'all need to CHILL OUT.

I'm not exaggerating when I say about 90% of the reports on this forum are from the Hip Hop threads (usually this one). I don't know what it is about either the music or the people who post here, but it's easily the largest source of drama, and that's saying something given the fact that we have many threads that are about much more sensitive topics.

If everyone can't play nice we might have to do something about it. So behave.
Can you please elaborate because I didn't see anything really that untoward to provoke this response? If its me I would like to know also. Thank you

Can you please elaborate because I didn't see anything really that untoward to provoke this response? If its me I would like to know also. Thank you
It wasn't you, and it's not about one specific case. This thread is seems to be consistently combative and people need to chill out if they want it to continue to exist.

Back