Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

It would from me. I don't think Salt-N-Pepa are a great example of challenges women experienced in hip hop, as they were hugely successful. For me, the ones I feel bad for having it hard are the more underground style, lyrical MCs, who don't have a chance. I'm really glad that Rapsody made it. Gimme Rapsody, Noname, Jean Grae, Azealia Banks (without the crazy social media fiasco's), etc.

For me VMPs hip hop curation is way more hits than misses anyway though.
I agree with all this, also re VMP curation this is the first miss in a long time for me. N.E.R.D. wasnt a miss for me but it was a bit of a meh pick

I agree with all this, also re VMP curation this is the first miss in a long time for me. N.E.R.D. wasnt a miss for me but it was a bit of a meh pick
And I get that (outside of that N.E.R.D. not fitting in the genre of rap/hip-hop at all) it is a matter of personal taste. I'm not trying to argue that their taste in rap is bad, just that it doesn't align closely with mine much of the time.

personally im still not QUITE into salt-n-pepa.. but i appreciate people who really want this... it is definitely a 6 or 7 out of 10 and is definitely worth it if you are into it.. i just dont want to rejoin for 80 bucks and get an album i dunno if i would really play it much

So I just want to be clear that my following statement is definitely not directed at anyone specific, especially here.

After reading the disappointment (especially on reddit) to the possibility of Salt-N-Pepa it really makes me think about the challenges women experienced, and still do, in the genre of hip-hop. I wonder if a similarly poppy hip-hop pick by a group of men would elicit the same reaction.
I would enjoy a poppy pick a lot. It's just that Salt-N-Pepa were not my first thought for not reissued 90's classic. Not that they're bad, I just have no desire to own it

Pepa dealt with enough challenges some personal and they definitely didn't have a cake walk to success. However her book is a great read. They both deserve all the flowers.
You're right, I'm not trying to diminish their success or say they had it easy. But to me, trying to justify people not liking an album they made after they were huge and that went platinum already as being indicative of why women have it hard in hip hop, is a confusing argument. To me the sad thing about women having it hard in hip hop is how few female MCs make it to the point to put out an album at all, relative to men, much less make it to that point.

And I get that (outside of that N.E.R.D. not fitting in the genre of rap/hip-hop at all) it is a matter of personal taste. I'm not trying to argue that their taste in rap is bad, just that it doesn't align closely with mine much of the time.
I think I must of misread your initial quote then. I thought you were praising there picks and I agreed lol

I’m a little bit sad that Salt-N-Pepa’s “Very Necessary” will be the May Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM because like many others have said, it’s an album I can’t imagine putting on the turntable to spin 🥺🤷‍♂️

I know this is crazy to say, but I think Rick Ross and Salt-N-Pepa might be my two least favourite R&HH ROTM picks ever...🙁👎

I’m just really underwhelmed by these picks. Especially as these are ROTM’s. You know what I mean!? 😶

My wife digs SnP as that’s pretty much her middle school soundtrack. I might grab it... eventually as this sounds like it’s gonna stick around forever like Queen Latifa and Da Brat.
Don’t put this is the same boat as the Queen Latifah record. That’s actually a classic, consistent, top quality album. It’s no flash in the pan. Who doesn’t love those SnP singles, but it’s not a classic Album.

Don’t put this is the same boat as the Queen Latifah record. That’s actually a classic, consistent, top quality album. It’s no flash in the pan. Who doesn’t love those SnP singles, but it’s not a classic Album.

I’m just saying if it shows up as an option in the next Bespoke Post box and I’m short a record...

I’m just saying if it shows up as an option in the next Bespoke Post box and I’m short a record...
Haha fair enough. I’m on the lookout for the next Bespoke box myself. I think unless they drastically reduce the pressing on this one, you should be good. Loretta Lynn was in the last one just a couple of months after release so it could happen for sure.

Back