Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

View attachment 40377

Just an FYI for those like me that have let their memberships lapse. Looks like the 1 month option is back as is a much cheaper 3 month membership. Still don't see anything upcoming that makes me want to rush back but I'm guessing they lost a lot of members when they had the debacle that resulted from their move over to their new platform and are sweetening the pot. This is only on Essentials and RHH. Classic has the one month sub but the normal prices for the other options.
sadly if you are already a subscriber for around 5 years or so you wont get this discount....

this is partially why im cancelling but also because i dunno if i want anything until maybe VMP in july

From Storf:

"Rap & Hip-Hop: I have seen someone guess it. It's an album that's way more political and resonating than you remember. They have a DJ."
Yep it's salt-n-pepa

It is political as it's 2 women speaking out the truth they had without being overtly sexual. And whatta man has the story of the original song they interpolated where the singer was abused by white supremacists for making "black music" and hiding herself until she heard the song.

Yep it's salt-n-pepa

It is political as it's 2 women speaking out the truth they had without being overtly sexual. And whatta man has the story of the original song they interpolated where the singer was abused by white supremacists for making "black music" and hiding herself until she heard the song.
I'm down with this.

Salt n pepa confirmed 🤦🏻‍♂️ I've nothing I want in swaps so suppose I'll own this. I'm already looking forward to next months hints. I won't lie I will happily spin Whatta Man but thats about it. Who needs Shoop when you got Ice Cube Check Yo Self

I really don't understand how anyone would represent this album as political, but the fact that he worded it as "way more political and resonating than you remember" kinda admits that it isn't very political or resonating, right?

Salt n pepa confirmed 🤦🏻‍♂️ I've nothing I want in swaps so suppose I'll own this. I'm already looking forward to next months hints. I won't lie I will happily spin Whatta Man but thats about it. Who needs Shoop when you got Ice Cube Check Yo Self

Haha Shoop is still a jam!! I love the opener as well! Seems as if Whatta Man and Shoop will be the first song on B and C (speculation) so that'll be coole for the folks who only like the singles

Haha Shoop is still a jam!! I love the opener as well! Seems as if Whatta Man and Shoop will be the first song on B and C (speculation) so that'll be coole for the folks who only like the singles
I don't hate the album. I'm definitely not trying to paint it as a bad album by any means either because it's not. I just wouldn't personally have much desire to spin it at all

So I just want to be clear that my following statement is definitely not directed at anyone specific, especially here.

After reading the disappointment (especially on reddit) to the possibility of Salt-N-Pepa it really makes me think about the challenges women experienced, and still do, in the genre of hip-hop. I wonder if a similarly poppy hip-hop pick by a group of men would elicit the same reaction.

So I just want to be clear that my following statement is definitely not directed at anyone specific, especially here.

After reading the disappointment (especially on reddit) to the possibility of Salt-N-Pepa it really makes me think about the challenges women experienced, and still do, in the genre of hip-hop. I wonder if a similarly poppy hip-hop pick by a group of men would elicit the same reaction.
I'm a big fan of female hiphop, actually there is a lot of artists I regularly listen to. Rapsody, Meg Thee Stallion, Little Simz, Missy Elliot just to name a few. The Ivy Sole pick was incredible, easily one of my favourites, the Queen Latifah album was one I wasnt familiar with prior to VMP picking and that's one that I spin regularly I love it. Just this particular artist I'm not too keen on. There was a lot of people unhappy when they thought the pick was Naughty By Nature in comparison? I would have preferred that but nothing to do with gender personally.

Just to add though i do think the Female picks tend to fair badly among the wider audience, I witnessed it on the old forum but I got accused of being sexist because I didnt think Rico Nasty was a good pick. It was nothing to do with Rico being female, I just didnt like that project at the time. I've since regretted it and got it in swaps this month lol 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

or maybe its just that particular group and not because they happen to be women.

It would from me. I don't think Salt-N-Pepa are a great example of challenges women experienced in hip hop, as they were hugely successful. For me, the ones I feel bad for having it hard are the more underground style, lyrical MCs, who don't have a chance. I'm really glad that Rapsody made it. Gimme Rapsody, Noname, Jean Grae, Azealia Banks (without the crazy social media fiasco's), etc.

For me VMPs hip hop curation is way more misses than hits anyway though.

Last edited:
Back