Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Yeah and I bet he didn’t sell his Miles Davis albums because it’s okay if it’s Jazz .
how long before someone mentions that age old beatles meme

i do know storf has BIG beef with nas now with his allegations, and i think back in the days of the first anthology one of the choices for modern was the ambrose akinmusire album that had a lot of kool AD in it and WTHEG was not even an option (even some pretty leftist leaning friends of mine went "but kool AD did the best he possibly could in apologizing for what he did")

This is so bad to say, but I feel like Rick Ross’ image and just persona and voice and everything, just makes me go “ewwww”. Like, for me, I don’t want any Rick Ross in my vinyl collection because it’s just unattractive lol 🥊🙅‍♂️

Rick Ross and DJ Khaled are just both ewwww to me 🙈😝

And lol at Storf saying Teflon Don is a stone Cold Classic.....don’t even think that album made a decade-end list in anything or is an album that’s aged well at all. It’s so whatever 🤦‍♂️🤧

This is so bad to say, but I feel like Rick Ross’ image and just persona and voice and everything, just makes me go “ewwww”. Like, for me, I don’t want any Rick Ross in my vinyl collection because it’s just unattractive lol 🥊🙅‍♂️

Rick Ross and DJ Khaled are just both ewwww to me 🙈😝

And lol at Storf saying Teflon Don is a stone Cold Classic.....don’t even think that album made a decade-end list in anything or is an album that’s aged well at all. It’s so whatever 🤦‍♂️🤧
When Vinyl Me, Please announce a Rick Ross album as their Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM! 😢

Thinking about that.......is very underwhelming! 😞

I like this, subjective Nathan, with disgusted emojis rather than amping every release as sexy. So it’s Jim Sullivan, Rick Ross and DJ Khaled that don’t float his boat.

I like this, subjective Nathan, with disgusted emojis rather than amping every release as sexy. So it’s Jim Sullivan, Rick Ross and DJ Khaled that don’t float his boat.
There are so many artists and albums I don’t like. There are so many VMP exclusives that I don’t like/care for. I’m just like everyone else on here!

I’m extremely album orientated. I love listening to albums! It’s such a joy listening to a full album and enjoying it so much! Especially albums that have a specific aesthetic and open you up more to a genre of music you haven’t really explored yet!

Enjoying an album so much reminds me of how imaginative our brains can be and much of a passionate, happy, calm and affectionate person I am!

But having that same passion makes me very critical of albums as well! There are so many artists where I don’t really care for their discography but they have that one album in their discography that is spectacular! For me, there’s that sole special album in so many artists discography. Whether it was the debut albums from 90’s rappers like GZA and Snoop Dogg or just the 5th or 6th album by the artist where they’ve made a masterpiece out of nowhere (Kurt Vile, U.S. Girls, Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue), so many artists just have that one incredible album! You know, recognising that you truly love an album is a really awesome feeling!

But there are a lot of albums I don’t like of course or albums I find “just OK” or “pretty good but nothing special”. But that’s the whole point I guess!

Rick Ross is head and shoulders above DJ Khaled talent-wise. Rick Ross can rap and write a verse. Khaled’s only “talents” are knowing famous and/or talented people and being a “brand influencer”.

Also, my man @NathanRicaud , pre-weight loss Rick Ross had one of the sexiest beer bellies in rap music. The man was nearly Buddha perfection.
EB3E6C5A-2C82-418B-995B-477A54E0D4C1.png

Last edited:
There are so many artists and albums I don’t like. There are so many VMP exclusives that I don’t like/care for. I’m just like everyone else on here!

I’m extremely album orientated. I love listening to albums! It’s such a joy listening to a full album and enjoying it so much! Especially albums that have a specific aesthetic and open you up more to a genre of music you haven’t really explored yet!

Enjoying an album so much reminds me of how imaginative our brains can be and much of a passionate, happy, calm and affectionate person I am!

But having that same passion makes me very critical of albums as well! There are so many artists where I don’t really care for their discography but they have that one album in their discography that is spectacular! For me, there’s that sole special album in so many artists discography. Whether it was the debut albums from 90’s rappers like GZA and Snoop Dogg or just the 5th or 6th album by the artist where they’ve made a masterpiece out of nowhere (Kurt Vile, U.S. Girls, Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue), so many artists just have that one incredible album! You know, recognising that you truly love an album is a really awesome feeling!

But there are a lot of albums I don’t like of course or albums I find “just OK” or “pretty good but nothing special”. But that’s the whole point I guess!

I actually like Jim Sullivan [ducks head] but think many people’s objection is to it being labelled ‘Essential’, which is also happening to Caroline Rose this month. It’s good you try all this stuff anyway Nathan. Sometimes returning a few years down the line makes all the difference - I listened to Steely Dan all my life but had a deeper appreciation in my late 20s/early 30s. Same with Genesis and Yes as I hit 40.

I actually like Jim Sullivan [ducks head] but think many people’s objection is to it being labelled ‘Essential’, which is also happening to Caroline Rose this month. It’s good you try all this stuff anyway Nathan. Sometimes returning a few years down the line makes all the difference - I listened to Steely Dan all my life but had a deeper appreciation in my late 20s/early 30s. Same with Genesis and Yes as I hit 40.

Like I bought Gaucho and The Nightfly when I was 14 or 15. I can’t imagine what a teenager would take from those albums today, but maybe I’m underestimating them and underestimating my own comprehension at 15.

Rick Ross is head and shoulders above DJ Khaled talent-wise. Rick Ross can rap and write a verse. Khaled best “talents” are knowing famous and/or talented people and being a “brand influencer”.

Also, my man @NathanRicaud , pre-weight loss Rick Ross had one of the sexiest beer bellies in rap music. The man was nearly Buddha perfection.
View attachment 35655
Yes, Rick Ross can rap a great verse! I like his appearances in Kanye’s Devil In A New Dress, Drake’s Lord Knows and in Denzel Curry’s Knotty Head a lot! His verse on “Free Mason” is amazing too! ✅👌

It’s just that Rick Ross has never had a great album. His albums have always been average or mediocre for me. Teflon Don is his best album, but it’s like a 5/10 for me unfortunately. It does have some highlights, like the larger than life “Free Mason” and the moody, breezy and sexy “Aston Martin Music” but overall, Rick Ross’ bars and delivery and some of the production doesn’t go far for me.....🤷‍♂️❌

I don’t find beer bellies attractive or sexy at all though, sorry 🙈😂

I’ll definitely try and revisit Jim Sullivan’s U.F.O. in the future! I’m open to relistening the album and seeing if I connect with it or if I genuinely like what I hear! I also think it’s important going back to an album again a few years after!

Yes, Rick Ross can rap a great verse! I like his appearances in Kanye’s Devil In A New Dress, Drake’s Lord Knows and in Denzel Curry’s Knotty Head a lot! His verse on “Free Mason” is amazing too! ✅👌

It’s just that Rick Ross has never had a great album. His albums have always been average or mediocre for me. Teflon Don is his best album, but it’s like a 5/10 for me unfortunately. It does have some highlights, like the larger than life “Free Mason” and the moody, breezy and sexy “Aston Martin Music” but overall, Rick Ross’ bars and delivery and some of the production doesn’t go far for me.....🤷‍♂️❌

I don’t find beer bellies attractive or sexy at all though, sorry 🙈😂

I mean to each their own and I'm not a fan of Rozay but I'd rather listen to any Rick Ross album than Slowthai, Da Brat, Ivy Sole, Open Mike Eagle, Denzel Curry, Rico Nasty, Knxlwedge or NERD.. I mean I could go on but you get the idea right? Weird hill for your emojification thing to die on.

edit to clarify: of their vmp releases. I like some NERD and a few others.

Last edited:
A RHH sub complaining about Rick Ross- Teflon Don. Lord. That album is perfect. Bring it. Best pick in this sub since god knows when.

Run DMC, OutKast, Juvenile, Saba are the last 4 that I’d put up there with it as essential owns.
I’m happy you think Teflon Don is perfect! Maybe a lot of people do think that album is a stone cold classic! When I saw your comment, I thought to myself “ok, maybe I really need to give Teflon Don a proper listen”. I thought I’d listen to “No. 1” and.........I tried but I just cringed at that song. Trey Songz vocals on the chorus sound so processed, uninspired and lack so much character - to the point where it feels very robotic-Chris Brown like. And Rick Ross just sounds like an old man trying to sound young in that track. Diddy’s verse is just flat and unoriginal. Sounds like a Kanye West impersonator unfortunately. No. 1 is just such a filler track in my opinion. Trey Songz last verse is so outdated, like I actually laughed at how amateur it sounded haha

Happy for everyone who is super excited for this album. I honestly am happy for those thrilled with this Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM. I just really don’t like half the tracks on this album. But I looooooooove Aston Martin Music so much, that’s a classic for me! Chrisette Michelle seductively whispering “Aston Martin Music” as if it’s a luxury car add is just so genius on

And I do see the hype B.M.F. - that track is a boastful, mean, victorious, monstrous, intimidating. That trap beat along with Rick Ross’ ugly and evil vocals - especially as he allows his vocals a lot of breathing space - only make every bar sounding like a knockout punch! That track just thumps so hard! So that’s two classic tracks for me!

No more me complaining about Teflon Don now. I’ll only start my whinging when I actually see it being selected as the April Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM.

PS - I love Raphael Saadiq but his chorus on the last track is just painfully awkward to listen to. Him and Rozay going “laaaa laaaa laaa laaaa laaa” back and forth sounds so forced to the point where it’s just vexatious. Raphael Saadiq’s input is so uneasy, strained and annoying. Just..........I can’t.

I’m happy you think Teflon Don is perfect! Maybe a lot of people do think that album is a stone cold classic! When I saw your comment, I thought to myself “ok, maybe I really need to give Teflon Don a proper listen”. I thought I’d listen to “No. 1” and.........I tried but I just cringed at that song. Trey Songz vocals on the chorus sound so processed, uninspired and lack so much character - to the point where it feels very robotic-Chris Brown like. And Rick Ross just sounds like an old man trying to sound young in that track. Diddy’s verse is just flat and unoriginal. Sounds like a Kanye West impersonator unfortunately. No. 1 is just such a filler track in my opinion. Trey Songz last verse is so outdated, like I actually laughed at how amateur it sounded haha

Happy for everyone who is super excited for this album. I honestly am happy for those thrilled with this Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM. I just really don’t like half the tracks on this album. But I looooooooove Aston Martin Music so much, that’s a classic for me! Chrisette Michelle seductively whispering “Aston Martin Music” as if it’s a luxury car add is just so genius on

And I do see the hype B.M.F. - that track is a boastful, mean, victorious, monstrous, intimidating. That trap beat along with Rick Ross’ ugly and evil vocals - especially as he allows his vocals a lot of breathing space - only make every bar sounding like a knockout punch! That track just thumps so hard! So that’s two classic tracks for me!

No more me complaining about Teflon Don now. I’ll only start my whinging when I actually see it being selected as the April Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM.

PS - I love Raphael Saadiq but his chorus on the last track is just painfully awkward to listen to. Him and Rozay going “laaaa laaaa laaa laaaa laaa” back and forth sounds so forced to the point where it’s just vexatious. Raphael Saadiq’s input is so uneasy, strained and annoying. Just..........I can’t.
I’m quoting your original distaste for the guaranteed flip if they announce RR for the month 😆

I’m quoting your original distaste for the guaranteed flip if they announce RR for the month 😆
Hahahaha ohhh don’t you worry Bfly! I will not be changing my opinion on Rick Ross’ Teflon Don if VMP make it their R&HH ROTM! 🙅‍♂️😂

I don’t care if I sound ridiculous or stupid but just the thought of Rick Ross on the turntable is so ewwww! 😝😷

Like I bought Gaucho and The Nightfly when I was 14 or 15. I can’t imagine what a teenager would take from those albums today, but maybe I’m underestimating them and underestimating my own comprehension at 15.
Just wanted to interject that Steely Dan kicks ass.

[hated them as a young kid as well, but I’ve immensely come around on them]

Back