Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Anyone cop that Common Sclusie?
I really like HER Love. Common’s best single since the singles on his 2005 album ‘Be’!

But the other single - Hercules - is a bit average. I feel like it sounds awkward and the rapping doesn’t go with the melody. Sounds like there’s too much going on with Common’s in-your-face strange flow, the overproduced beat which constantly changes and the chorus that sounds outdated and annoying with Swizz Beatz doing shoutouts in the background.

So I’m going to wait for the third single. If it hits the spot like HER Love, then I’ll probably buy the exclusive!

I really like HER Love. Common’s best single since the singles on his 2005 album ‘Be’!

But the other single - Hercules - is a bit average. I feel like it sounds awkward and the rapping doesn’t go with the melody. Sounds like there’s too much going on with Common’s in-your-face strange flow, the overproduced beat which constantly changes and the chorus that sounds outdated and annoying with Swizz Beatz doing shoutouts in the background.

So I’m going to wait for the third single. If it hits the spot like HER Love, then I’ll probably buy the exclusive!
Yeah Hercules is a crazy average track. I took a chance on the sclusie hoping common comes through

Yeah Hercules is a crazy average track. I took a chance on the sclusie hoping common comes through
Fingers crossed man! But even if Common’s album doesn’t end up being a great, at least you can show it off on your super attractive Instagram! 😉

IMO Common has been trash for 10+ years now. He was my favorite rapper for a while. I think Resurrection is one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. Like Water For Chocolate and Be are also all time greats to me. But with Finding Forever the great fall off began. Black America Again was a better effort, but kinda too late for me, the Common ship had already sailed. He became a caricature in the last 10 years.

IMO Common has been trash for 10+ years now. He was my favorite rapper for a while. I think Resurrection is one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. Like Water For Chocolate and Be are also all time greats to me. But with Finding Forever the great fall off began. Black America Again was a better effort, but kinda too late for me, the Common ship had already sailed. He became a caricature in the last 10 years.
Weirdly enough, my introduction to Common was Electric Circus then Be, then Like Water. I love all three records. Agree with you on the timeline of his downfall though...he's really fallen off.

TBF I don't see any lies here

I think HIGO is a top 5 Roots album. Perhaps the most overlooked album in their catalog.
I don't think it needs to be repressed at this point, though.
I won't swap, since I don't have it. But I'm also not thrilled for such an easily accessible release.

I have it 6th (actually 7th if The Roots Come Alive counts)

Do You Want More
Things Fall Apart
Illadelph Halflife
Organix
Phrenology
How I Got Over

I have it 6th (actually 7th if The Roots Come Alive counts)

Do You Want More
Things Fall Apart
Illadelph Halflife
Organix
Phrenology
How I Got Over

I think it's interesting that you have their first 5 as your top 5 and then their 9th slips in at number 6. Actually I think that shows how good this album is that even someone who prefers their early work would have it that high. I think my list goes something like

Game Theory
DYWM
Things Fall Apart
HIGO
Undun

But even making putting that together was really difficult. If I had to do it again in a week. The top 4 would be the same (Game Theory is no doubt their best album to me), but that 5th spot could go to a lot of different albums. So, it's hard to say there's a definitive ranking for Roots album.

I would normally say it’d be stupid for VMP to do How I Got Over as a ROTM with the Deluxe 3LP just getting announced for sale everywhere, and you can still walk into any record store and pick up a standard copy. But they have been making some real weird moves as of late, so who knows?

Edit: I fucked it. It's 'Things Fall Apart' getting the 3LP treatment, not 'How I Got Over'. VMP are still weird.

Last edited:
I would normally say it’d be stupid for VMP to do How I Got Over as a ROTM with the Deluxe 3LP just getting announced for sale everywhere, and you can still walk into any record store and pick up a standard copy. But they have been making some real weird moves as of late, so who knows?
The deluxe 3 LP was for Things Fall Apart, was How I Got Over given the 3 LP treatment?

Back