Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I mean, Africa Brasil definitely qualifies as an Essential, that's a big title whether some people realize it or not, there are some though that are just releases they wanted to give the AOTM treatment but it doesn't fit in the Classics or RHH tracks because of the genre of music doesn't belong in those 2.

The crate digger Essentials is a cool thing even though they are never really what you would call "Essential." I'm glad they do stuff like that now and again.

I'm finally getting around to spinning that Jorge Ben album. Its infectious! I am really enjoying it so far. 1 side in.
I had to go back like 10 pages to find anyone discussing the actual picks. These threads are always such a disaster.

And agreed. That Jorge Ben is fucking great. What do people think of this new SK?

Honestly I don't mind the term "essential". If you want the album on a 12" plastic disc in 2019 it's essential to you. They're just taking a stab at which album would qualify that term for the largest number of subscribers.

Curious how the full SK album is as well. I didn't feel like going in blind based on the singles, but I'm sure the combo of talents made something pretty good at least.

I have some loud surface noise on side A of the SK album. Anyone else? Side B sounds perfect. Nearly silent.

Do you think this is unacceptably loud? I kind of do. Its a short clip. You can hear it the most around the 4 second mark. I may just send this clip to VMP. SK Record Noise

Can you clean it? That kind of crackle sounds like dust in the grooves which should be fixable but I'm not positive.

If it doesn't clean out, unacceptably loud for sure.

Here's a pretty solid guess. Found this by combing through Discogs.

Jim Sullivan - U.F.O.

Evidence:
*Psychedelic rock, but not explicitly. Has influences of folk and country as well
*Label has only one release (in Discogs)
*Previously reissued by Light In The Attic, but never on colored vinyl
*Judging by the Have/Want ratio, very much obscure/cratediggerish
*The last cratedigger Essentials was also "found on Discogs" ;)

Hell of a story behind Jim Sullivan, it seems. His wife worked at Capitol Records, and he played prestigious local venues. Recorded two albums, and then disappeared with zero trace in 1975.

Coincidence, or not, Aquarium Drunkard just tweeted their 2010 read about the LITA re-release of U.F.O. They refer to it as an ESSENTIAL read. Maybe I'm reading into that too much??

Coincidence, or not, Aquarium Drunkard just tweeted their 2010 read about the LITA re-release of U.F.O. They refer to it as an ESSENTIAL read. Maybe I'm reading into that too much??

Storf also just gave the next clue for all three tracks. "A solo act, a group, a group." I can only assume Jim Sullivan is the solo act. The guess lives on!

Storf also just gave the next clue for all three tracks. "A solo act, a group, a group." I can only assume Jim Sullivan is the solo act. The guess lives on!
Typically the clues are given in the following order: Essentials, Classics, RHH
I believe this further increases the likelihood of it being UFO (and also of me swapping)

Jim Sullivan’s music isn’t for me. I can’t get into it at all. Looks like I’ll be only keeping Classics and Rap & Hip-Hop! If I enjoy Sleater-Kinney’s new album, I’ll swap the Essentials for that! 🙂

Looking forward to seeing what genre October’s Essentials ROTM will be! Fingers crossed it’s Hip-Hop! 🤞

Back