Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I'm listening to it now. Not bad at all, and I read his Wikapedia page. You're right his story is pretty crazy. For me the best part of guessing the next record is discovering stuff like this that I've never heard of before. Except the Shaggs. I wish I could undiscover that album.
I'm listening to it now and while it's not bad, I don't think I would label this record as being "essential" to my collection and will likely skip this one unless the colour of the vinyl is insane or something else that captures my attention. The story is nuts though!

I'm listening to it now and while it's not bad, I don't think I would label this record as being "essential" to my collection and will likely skip this one unless the colour of the vinyl is insane or something else that captures my attention. The story is nuts though!
I think the real essential this month is going to be the Mariah's if they're available for swaps.

I think the real essential this month is going to be the Mariah's if they're available for swaps.
Definitely! It'll be one of those days where as soon as swaps are open, it's time to swoop in for that sweet sweet Daydream goodness
Yeah, I'd say if you want Mariah, you're probably gonna have to be quick, because I get a sneaking suspicion that it's gonna move REALLY fast due to a lot of people swapping off of Jim Sullivan! (like me)

Yeah, I'd say if you want Mariah, you're probably gonna have to be quick, because I get a sneaking suspicion that it's gonna move REALLY fast due to a lot of people swapping off of Jim Sullivan! (like me)
I'm always quick on Swap day lol. I think there is going to be some Mariahs and Lil Kims around for swaps but I'm just guessing. Hoping to grab one of those Zeus's also if possible.

The REAL essential pick is the one that is happening in the N&G AOTM guess thread. Join us there! Lots of clues and good natured fun and completely going off the rails at points. I would love @everyone to join us!

The REAL essential pick is the one that is happening in the N&G AOTM guess thread. Join us there! Lots of clues and good natured fun and completely going off the rails at points. I would love @everyone to join us!

I learned about Brazilian BBQ!

It’s my favourite thread on here!! So much cuteness inside that thread, I love it!! ♥️

I've already prepped the email for the case that Mariah isn't available for swaps lol

I'm only on one track right now (Classics), but will and another if Mariah stock is available.

I'm listening to it now. Not bad at all, and I read his Wikapedia page. You're right his story is pretty crazy. For me the best part of guessing the next record is discovering stuff like this that I've never heard of before. Except the Shaggs. I wish I could undiscover that album.
Now storf straight up saying it's not Top Drawer on Reddit.

Mariah Carey’s ‘Daydream’ is definitely the real VMP Essentials ROTM! Big time!
That's so true, I think I don't understand the concept of Essentials. How is Kanye too big for RHH, and has to go in Essentials, but Mariah which should be an Essential isn't and the next Essential is something most people haven't heard of. It's so confusing lol

That's so true, I think I don't understand the concept of Essentials. How is Kanye too big for RHH, and has to go in Essentials, but Mariah which should be an Essential isn't and the next Essential is something most people haven't heard of. It's so confusing lol

I still think it's not really a fitting name but this is how Storf explained it on Reddit recently when I asked a similiar question (though still think Mariah should qualify)

1565374277095.png

I think Essentials is where they put big releases or releases that transcend genre. Rap & Hip Hop track releases are mostly for people who really like Rap and Hip Hop. You can not be a big RHH fan but still love De La Soul's 3 ft High and Rising. That's why most jazz and blues releases no matter how big stay in the Classics track and not the essentials. I find Essentials to be more mainstream sounding releases, even on crate digger specials.

I think people get too hung up on the name "Essentials". It's just a marketing term. In reality it's just a record they've chosen to be featured for the AOTM. Some will be bigger or more "essential" than others.

Yeah I've accepted this. They obviously felt they had to brand it to something when they opened subs to all 3 tracks. And I honestly feel like this year comes pretty close to fitting the name (not that I didnt like last year but it was too dominated by indie/alternative releases and I like to see more of a mix).

#TeamChangeEssentialsBackToROTM
I’ll be on that team . I’ll still buy them no matter what they call it, but it’s just a little strange that huge names like TLC , Mariah, even Dolly aren’t considered essential but Jorge Ben , Phoenix Experience Unlimited are. The explanation from Storf kind of helped. I hope they get big enough one day for 5 subs. 1 just for the crate diggery stuff, country,rhh jazz, and rock

Back