Vinyl Me Please Essentials

VMP's version better be pressed by RTI and include tip on jacket.
It will probably be pressed by GZ. But no stress because the recent Essential ROTM’s - Pheonix, Ben George, Experience Unlimited - all sound incredible and all those ROTM’s were pressed at GZ! 😃

I’m hoping there are no side exclusives for this ROTM. I just want side exclusives for The Roots’ ROTM and for the upcoming OutKast Essentials ROTM!

Jim Sullivan sounds like the end credits to a movie I'd watch once and then forget about. Gunna be a few listens before I decide if I want it but right now I'm leaning towards not.
Don’t think anybody needs to worry about getting this before it sells out. Also, a prime target to pick up on Discogs for $14 around February.

Have to say, if U.F.O is the ROTM, my concept of Psyche-Rock and VMP's are very different. On listening to the first few tracks, it feels like a Lee Hazelwood knock off.
I was thinking the same thing. Except Lee Hazlewood is immensely more interesting. No idea how UFO would be considered Psych Rock. The only interesting thing about the music is Sullivan’s disappearance story.

I SUCCESSFULLY GUESSED THE ROTM!! BOW TO ME!! BOW TO MEEEEEE!!!!

That said, I'm pretty excited for this! The music is great, and the story is insane! Really cool album!

i guessed it by doing a Discogs search lmfao (probably the same way Storf found it tbh)

Yeah as for the "psych label" I think there's a major tendency these days to jam anything that sounds remotely psych adjacent into the "psych" category just because it's cool again via the Australian psych bands.

From the little I've heard of Jim Sullivan, I could see slotting him under psych-folk more than psych-rock. IMO psych-folk is one of those practically fictional genres that seems to have no solid aesthetic basis. Is it folk music with psychedelic instrumentation, or straight folk with "trippy" lyrics? Some would apply the term to anything from the Byrds or Donovan, others would reserve it for more out there artists like Linda Perchats. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why Dylan himself isn't considered part of this genre, since he is both a massive influence on folk singer-songwriters and psych ones. Perhaps psych-folk is really just post-Dylan weirdo artists, but at that point who isn't a post-Dylan weirdo?

Anyways, on this particular stuff Sullivan's vocals remind me more of mainstream folk rock than anything else, so it would really test my application of the label. Almost sounds like the U.F.O. single could a big radio hit if he wasn't caught up on his x-files BS. Seems like a fun balance though, and the exact type of record labels like LITA thrive making public, something that can't get out of its own way in the best way possible. It doesn't feel like it's set out to be psych music, but just happens to have been steeped in enough of the influences to seem that way.

I need another listen of SK, but off the bat I’d say it’s good but not great. Again only listened once tho.

My main takeaway however is how influential the St Vincent production is. It really sounds like it’s one of her records.

Back