Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It’s a direct quote from his reddit posts earlier today. I think we know what he likely was trying to get at, that voices from women of a certain age aren’t likely to top the charts and they’re still worth hearing, but he said it sort of inartfully.

No, i directly quoted Storf from reddit. He said that

He just foolishly summarized a quote from the article out of context. He clarified it later:

"I mean, this is something the band themselves said in an interview with us.

Here's what Amileah (who interviewed them) says in the piece linked above (Read Sinner Read): "Something the band really emphasized — and hadn’t occurred to me, until I thought about it — I can’t think of three women that age still putting out records, and that’s kind of nuts. I think it was a bit of a surprise to everyone that three — it’s crazy that you have to say “aging women” because they’re not, they’re young, but for the industry — aging women putting out a record like that. I was also trying to figure out why it seemed like a shock that that was the case, but it’s just not something you see a lot." "

its kind of wild how much Janet Weiss quitting SK (and the band's subsequent shrug at it) has killed all of the once considerable hype i had for this album.
I don’t know about that. When I heard the first songs I thought it was a St. Vincent album rather than a Sleater-Kinney album, and was immediately turned off to it. Janet later quitting the band just reinforced that feeling for me.

I think St. Vincent fans will like the album. Sleater-Kinney are an Olympia-sound/Riot Grrrl band, and that aesthetic appears to be gone with the new album.

I have avoided reading anything vmp wrote about why they chose sk because ... vmp.

I feel brave today. Should I go for it or will their bro-hipster mentality push me over the edge?

The had Ameliah do it, but it was pretty underwhelming IMO. Seems like they mailed this release in, which is pretty disappointing but not surprising (probably a financially cheap release for them).

I did enjoy this line about the album compared to previous ones: "It's more massive: Corin said she was in the studio playing a timpani." Well, okay then!

However, this pick and all the talk of Tennis and some other new releases reminds me of why I dislike the term "Essentials" replacing Record of the Month.

Saying ROTM implies "we really like this album, and we think it's worth owning"... a good statement from a club.
To me, Essentials implies "this is elevated music that helps define genres and influences artists, or shows a mastery of an art or style"... or something like that. It's just a much bigger statement. They picked it for obvious marketing hype, but I think it leads to greater disappointment. A lot of the ROTM picks are not Essential in any way. Even some of the ones I love.

I wish they would change it back. Remember when Essentials was a section in the store, and it was filled with ACTUAL essential albums? They should get back to that. Give this product line a more fitting name.
This post = 🎯💡💎🔥💯

Personally, I'm on board with this SK pick. SK is new to me, I like what I've heard, and I'm excited about the St. Vincent production. The color and package certainly could be cooler for the price, but it's fine.

However, this pick and all the talk of Tennis and some other new releases reminds me of why I dislike the term "Essentials" replacing Record of the Month.

Saying ROTM implies "we really like this album, and we think it's worth owning"... a good statement from a club.
To me, Essentials implies "this is elevated music that helps define genres and influences artists, or shows a mastery of an art or style"... or something like that. It's just a much bigger statement. They picked it for obvious marketing hype, but I think it leads to greater disappointment. A lot of the ROTM picks are not Essential in any way. Even some of the ones I love.

I wish they would change it back. Remember when Essentials was a section in the store, and it was filled with ACTUAL essential albums? They should get back to that. Give this product line a more fitting name.

Agree 100% with this. I never swap any of the three tracks and love the variety they release but I don't like the track name "Essentials". An "Essential" too subjective and almost give weight to the people who complain about things like Jeff Buckley not being the ROTM (not here, but I saw that complaint strong on reddit). Jeff Buckley is definitely more of an "Essential" than a brand new Sleater Kinney album . I think they can avoid alot (definitely not all) criticism if they rebranded the track name. I know the name is just for marketing purposes, but it opens itself for IMO undeserved criticism (because I really love what they're doing in the track).

Agree 100% with this. I never swap any of the three tracks and love the variety they release but I don't like the track name "Essentials". An "Essential" too subjective and almost give weight to the people who complain about things like Jeff Buckley not being the ROTM (not here, but I saw that complaint strong on reddit). Jeff Buckley is definitely more of an "Essential" than a brand new Sleater Kinney album . I think they can avoid alot (definitely not all) criticism if they rebranded the track name. I know the name is just for marketing purposes, but it opens itself for IMO undeserved criticism (because I really love what they're doing in the track).
I wrote this once in tge old place , but imho opinion Eclectic would be a much better name than essentials cause it fits the anything gpes mentality of the sub compared to the genre focussed other two without putting the burden of being essential on every chosen rotm

Newbury Comics has CDs of The Center Won't Hold, with a postcard signed by the band (Janet included). If I really like the album, I might grab this. I buy CDs of albums that I really like so I can have FLAC files on my phone (higher quality audio, and don't have to use my mobile data for streaming).

Back